Christmas gift #1 - game

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples

Yes, I know, everyone is too busy with the Christmas and New year coming in BUT, there are a lot of people out there that, doesn't do too well around this time of the year, for one reason or the other (irrelevant), some will have no one the share this Festive season with, and or prefer to be alone either way, they look for "things" that can take their mind from their loneliness and unpleasant mood, created by all the Festive season fuss so, these couple of question games I'm putting on, while 2013 is still going, is dedicated to "them" but anyone can participate, as usual...!

OK so, here goes the question;

On the images attached, I have a Resifill (resin filled blank), could you please tell me the name or number (from my "timbers list" located athe the items description, here) of the wood used, and what steps did I take to make the blank to look like this...???

* 032.JPG 033.JPG 034.JPG 035.JPG 036.JPG

The first person to answer this, 2 part question correctly, will received this exact blank + 3 x raw wood blanks, either of my choice or by your suggestion/request, free of any charges, regardless where you are located...!:wink:

Good luck...!:)

Cheers
George

PS: I apologise for the "glitch" I experienced, while attempting to complete this thread, the computer was attacked by a virus that in seconds turn everything to hell. The virus was killed and life goes on...!:biggrin:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Well least I gave you an answer to your computer glitch :)

Well, I don't know if you did or not, what I know is that, I have no idea from where those "codes" come from, maybe from my attempts to stop the virus to do any further damage, and if this "thing" was sent as one of those "pranks" software programs by someone, the only thing that I have to say is, tanks mate but the next time, make sure you shoot straight...!:wink::biggrin:

Weird stuff, indeed...!

Cheers
George

SteveG

My guess is Timber #44, which you cut into a rectangular blank sized piece. Then you placed it into a mold, with other blanks. You mixed multiple colors resin, waiting until it was just ready to "go off" to pour the different colors, so they would show distinct color separation. You did some mild stirring to swirl the colors. This was then put under pressure, until the resin was set. You recut the blank apart, and turned it to shape shown, using sanding and buffing to show a decent finish surface. Want my shipping address now?

robutacion

My guess is Timber #44, which you cut into a rectangular blank sized piece. Then you placed it into a mold, with other blanks. You mixed multiple colors resin, waiting until it was just ready to "go off" to pour the different colors, so they would show distinct color separation. You did some mild stirring to swirl the colors. This was then put under pressure, until the resin was set. You recut the blank apart, and turned it to shape shown, using sanding and buffing to show a decent finish surface. Want my shipping address now?

Not so fast my friend, your answer is not right...!:rolleyes:

Try again...!

Cheers
George

Teeball

My guess is # 17. Blank removed from mold turned to pen size with a Skew then sanded and wiped with Mineral spirits and photographed. Thanks and I know you have my address. :redface::wink::frown:

robutacion

Hahahah, you guys have some imagination...!:biggrin:

I didn't ask to have all the steps of making this blanks, explained in such detail, what I asked was for you to divide the question in 2 parts, one is the name or the timber species # (I have all my timbers numbered) and the other part of the question is, name the processes names to produce such a blank, these are the common names/terms we all used everyday to specify something we did with the wood, capish...???:wink::biggrin:

PS: Came on Steve, you are warm...!:eek::)

Cheers
George

robutacion

Humm, you guys are getting around the truth but no one got the 2 parts of the question correct, some got one part correct and not the other and vice versa, obviously I need the same person to connect the dots and get it correct in full and not, half of it...!

This one is actually quite easy as I already spoke about it all, here on IAP so, someone may remember...!

If you think this one is difficult, wait until you see the next one I have for you, that one will be fun to sort out, for sure...!

Anyway, one thing at the time...!

PS: The wood is actually a fruit producer...!:eek::wink:

Cheers
George

robutacion

We have a winner...!

Timber #44, which was dyed and cactus juice stabilized. Existing voids were resin filled. Blank was turned, then finished by polishing.

Well, well, Mr Steve, I have to give it to you, even though is one detail missing that I thought was obvious, and that was the colour of the dye used on the Cactus Juice for the stabilisation so, the correct answer would be, #44 Vine, STABILISE blue and then CAST with orange and blue coloured resin.

I was so disappointed that you missed it the first time and again the second time around you failed to say what colour dye was added to the vine wood/material.

Anyway, I have to accept that and award you the prize, you deserved it for being persistent so, congratulations...!:wink:

Here is a full pic of these blank with its identification number and name 030.JPG

As promised, this blank is yours and if you have any preferences for the other 3 wood blanks offered, please let me know...!

Thank you also, for all members that participated in this game, your turn will be next, you never know...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

SteveG

WOW…I WON!!!

It was GREAT FUN to wake up this morning to the announcement that I had won the prize in what no doubt is one of the most difficult, competitive contests worldwide for 2013.:biggrin: Thanks George, as promoter, producer, and the brains behind the scenes, for putting this on (and the helpful hints provided). My preference for the prize, besides the object blank, very nice, by the way, is to have 3 blanks of olive wood, hand selected by one who truly knows and appreciates olive.:) I prefer cross cut with really good contrast in color between the early and late wood, and nice, tight grain. Thank you and I do look forward to whatever you pick out!:highfive:

robutacion

It was GREAT FUN to wake up this morning to the announcement that I had won the prize in what no doubt is one of the most difficult, competitive contests worldwide for 2013.:biggrin: Thanks George, as promoter, producer, and the brains behind the scenes, for putting this on (and the helpful hints provided). My preference for the prize, besides the object blank, very nice, by the way, is to have 3 blanks of olive wood, hand selected by one who truly knows and appreciates olive.:) I prefer cross cut with really good contrast in color between the early and late wood, and nice, tight grain. Thank you and I do look forward to whatever you pick out!:highfive:

Steve,

Your gift/parcel was posted this morning...!

Please, let me know when it arrives.

Cheers
George

SteveG

Aloha George,
I am looking forward to my package from "Down Under" with great anticipation. Your generosity is quite nice to experience. Although I do not celebrate the Christmas holiday for deeply held religious reasons, I do enjoy activities like this on IAP, and your contribution to our pen making/pen turning family are really appreciated!

SteveG

ZAM BANG POW!!! Got my PRIZE TODAY :laugh::big grin: The resin/Vine blank that was the object of the challenge (Nice), and three BEAUTIFUL Olive blanks, each with a bit of an angled grain pattern. Thanks George! Aloha

robutacion

Hi Steve,

Glad to know the prizes are starting to arrive, you were the first so, the other will not be far behind, the difference is the days in between winnings as every prize was posted within 24 hours of the prize being awarded...!

Lets see what you come up with, on those blanks...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom