Care package from George - Page 6 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Vendor Forums > George's Bits of Timber
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2017, 08:06 AM   #51 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Keefe View Post
Hello George, I ended up with a 280mm rough blank and cored it for a 240mm second blank. Now to wait another year or so, before it dries.
Looks good mate, looks good...!

Now, don't wait until the wood shows 4 or 5% moisture content, you ain't going to get that unless you wait a good 30 years, the natural oils in it will keep the wood well above 10%MC after dry, is just the nature of the wood and if I was you, because you are in Australia and you can get easily any of the products I use, go to any Mitre 10 store and look for a product that Feast & Watson makes that was called "Fungishield" but is now called I thing, wood primer Timber Primer | Wood Preserver, For Priming New Timber

You have 2 options, you either use it to soak all the wood from the rough turned piece, I mean, soak it in an out at least 4 times letting it dry overnight in between coats, that prevents the wood from cracking and warping too much, you can soak it until the wood takes no more, let it dry for a couple of months and finish it or, you turn it down to final size and shape, sand it up to 240 grit and then soak the living life out of it until it soaks no more.

Let it dry for a few weeks after then you can remount it and finish it by sanding to finer grits 400 is normally enough. At this point, you need to make a decision on what type of finish you want on it, if gloss you need to use whatever you normally use for that type finish but, if you want it satin, because the wood have been saturated in the treatment stuff, is like being stabilised, you can finish the wood simply by polishing, it comes out beautiful.

You have options and you don't have to wait that long, the wood was 19%MC when left here, now that you reduced the size and cored it, the wood will very quickly reach your ambient MC and it should read about 12% or so, that for this wood, is considered dry...!

PS: Use that Fungishield for any green turnings you make, as soon as it comes out of the lathe, start soaking it, a brush and a drip tray is all you need however, any liquid that runs out of the wood, do not put it back in the original container, it will contaminate and it will start to dry/set in the can, this applies to most products I know so, when you get to the last coat and you still have some liquid in the tray, put it in a separate container and use it within 3 months, better that way.

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads