Birdseye Huon Pine burl- lot #2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

I have received last week, the rest of the burl that was part of the first chunk I got, from where the lot -1 blanks were cut from and, I'm a little disappointed of what the rest of the burl produced. I've got it all ready for sale, and you guys and gals will judge this second lot also but, a large part of what I thought I was going to get the best burl ever, I got very wide burl eyes with some very deep channels, these are infact know as burl eyes tunnels that normally run from the burl surface to its very center/core.

And while I was very disappointed at first, I started to consider what those hollow channels would allow me to do different than a full closed burl and I immediately thought of Turquoise and any filling material of that nature. The hole edges have that dark brown colours, I reckon, a turquoise filling on the 1 or more of those large open eyes that endup showing at the final shape and size of the pen barrel, will look like someone has embedded a precious stone in there, (me visualizing...!:rolleyes:)...!

This is not the first time I saw these "channels" in burls, they me a little more obvious because of the wood colour surrounding it and the contrast with the light yellow colours of the rest of the wood.

I was convinced that, the whole burl (about 16kg in total) was like the chunk that was cut originally from this burl due to its strange shape as most round burls, this one was more like a horseshoe type shape with one side poking out straight, the very reason why it was cut by the timber mill fellow, for easy storage...!

Well, it was not to be and I really doubt that one can ever get any better and high quality birdseye burl than that piece i first got. Don't take me wrong, the rest of the burl still did produce some tight eye burl wood, some of it was part of some small box blanks I cut for our friend, George Watkins, 2 of the 5 blanks supplied were indeed, exceptional...!

Was after that, that I started to get into these deep burl eyes channels/tunnels, by then, I had already the chunk pretty much defined to be cut in a specific away, changing that would result in some inevitable waste that I was not prepare to created so, the piece was cut as originally planned and accept whatever would come out of it...!

So I did and the rest is history...!

There is not going to be a great difference in the prices, this stuff cost me a small fortune and the first batch was offered with very little to almost no profit, as an introduction of this new wood that I wanted to get some blanks for my own private collection and share the rest with everyone so, if I would get all the same quality as the first piece, I was going to put the prices slightly higher, to cover myself a little better than the first lot, that believe it or not, still have blanks that haven't sold yet. This second lot may no go any higher in price but I doubt that I can go much lower, either...!

I'm not sure if I will continue to buy some more of this stuff, I know there are still 5 pieces left and is just no way to know what is inside of them, being burls doesn't mean that they all have to be good, while the price will always be high, is just the way it is...!

I have cut half a dozen of 1" square x 6" long, some in the higher grade, some of grade 2, some shorts and some Resifill bits, all from a burl piece just over 10kg weight...!

I have nothing to hide so here it all is, just after cut on the bandsaw, after that, at least 9 hours in the oven at 80° celsius, sanding, waxing, cleaning, casting and gloss varnish spraying. Pics of the raw burl pen blanks will be taken soon...!

Enjoy...!:wink::biggrin:

PS: None of these are yet listed on my new web-store but, will soon...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 632
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 279
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 382