Amboyna Burl Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

Hey, for all you trying to decide if you want to join into the fun of George's games, here is my first attempt at turning one of the blanks I won.

It is Amboyna Burl Sap/Heart stabilized blue. It turns like butter and is very unique.

Give the game a go but definitely go get some of George's Bits O' Timber!

By the way, this pen is being held up by a couple other offerings by George. They are She/Bull Oak (#14) and Holly Oak (#15), both beautiful!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 539
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 531
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Very nice!, I thought it was green. My eyes must be getting tired. That's a really nice looking pen!

Hahahahah, you you are correct, it looks more green than blue however, I don't use green dyes and only the blue from Alumilite.

There are 2 reason why it looks like that, one is the fact that, and this has been discussed here many times, is the fact that, you have to you a lot, and I mean a lot of this dye to get a solid colour...!

Secondly, I was trying to bring up the burly bits on this Amboyna sapwood and for that, are solid colour would overpower and hide what I was trying to enhance so, the amount of blue dye could never be excessive and as a result, as for any other woods that I stabilized/dyed with a medium amount of blue, the colour comes up more like this green...!

The effect is exactly what I wanted and while I would have preferred the blue shadowing, this colours suits the blanks well so, I'm happy with the results...! :wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Hey, for all you trying to decide if you want to join into the fun of George's games, here is my first attempt at turning one of the blanks I won.

It is Amboyna Burl Sap/Heart stabilized blue. It turns like butter and is very unique.

By the way, this pen is being held up by a couple other offerings by George. They are She/Bull Oak (#14) and Holly Oak (#15), both beautiful!

Hi Kelly,

Those are some outstanding clear images...!:eek:

Did I say that, I really like what you did with that blank...???:wink::biggrin:

Looking forwards to see what you do with the blanks underneath...!:)

Cheers
George

Krash

Hi Kelly,

Those are some outstanding clear images...!:eek:

Did I say that, I really like what you did with that blank...???:wink::biggrin:

Looking forwards to see what you do with the blanks underneath...!:)

Cheers
George

I took those with my iPhone in a light box that was a storage drawer I bought from Target. Not too fancy!

I really appreciate you saying you like what I did with your blank. It means a lot to know I pleased the maker!

I am currently working on my Steampunk PITH then I need to make another pen for the church auction. I am excitied to employ another of your blanks, probably one of those She/Bull Oak. They are sweet. I'll probably add some aluminum segmenting and offsetting custom band as I think that will augment the oak well.

I'll post here when I finish.

MarkD

That's a very interesting blank!
Is that a purchased kit? If so, can you tell us what kits this is? I'm not familiar with it.

Top Bottom