Zen vs Zap?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
In my limited experience purchasing pens, I have come to realize that every new "feature" carries a pricetag. While making a part a threaded part may not add a lot of cost, it creates another potential part that can become lost or damaged. Which is a pain in the (fill in the blank) for the "distributor". So, there is a strong motivation to Keep it Simple.

But we DO want to hear the features you would like to see. I CAN be persuaded if enough of you like a "feature".

Thanks for starting the thread---the biggest difference I was aiming for was about half the price. I really didn't think anything could go wrong---the pen LOOKS simple!

Clearly I lacked the imagination needed to foresee the poor execution of manufacturing!!

sbell111

The top piece not being threaded isn't a deal breaker for me. It's just one but that the customer won't accidentally unscrew while looking over the pen, or after purchase. While I have swapped ends on a zen before, I don't see not being able to do it on these pens to be a deal breaker.

The weak magnet is the deal breaker for me. Which is a shame because I otherwise really like this kit and for the price, I had intended to offer it right along side the zens. (Not completely replacing zens as the clip design isn't for everyone.)

This post shouldn't be seen as a criticism of Ed as I bought our kits direct from Rizheng. I didn't even know that anyone was reselling these kits until I happened upon this thread.

sbell111

Ed can answer best.

No black ti option.

I believe the the back may be one piece rather than having a threaded insert.

It's available in 'gunmetal', but not black Ti. That being said, they have been known to make upgraded finishes happen if the order is big enough. Smitty has been the king in making that happen, in my opinion.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Plating requires a high level of trust. They can tell you it's black ti, how do you know?

If a manufacturer has already shown they are not hindered by the need to be honest, why do you believe anything they say, that you can't verify, independently?

Last edited:

sbell111

Plating requires a high level of trust. They can tell you it's black ti, how do you know?

If a manufacturer has already shown they are not hindered by the need to be honest, why do you believe anything they say, that you can't verify, independently?

A few thoughts:

First, I haven't had any issues of Rizheng not being honest with me. They have given me excellent service with every order that I have made from them and they have gone above and beyond the three times that I have had issues with their products over the years, even though one of them was caused by my failure to read (or at least interpret what I've read.

Second, I agree with you about trust and platings. Beyond that, I am not qualified to comment although Smitty did discuss the issue ad nauseam in a thread a while back. I am personally satisfied with his position on that issue.

Last edited:

Carl Fisher

So assuming the cap/magnet issue is being resolved, will the magnet be as strong as the Zen and Vertex eventually?

If you were to put these side by side with a zen, are they roughly the same size in length and diameter or is the Zap smaller? Is the tube size the same or close? I assume it will accept the Schmidt rollers like the 5888?

Given the questions posed so far, is this a kit that is expected to stick around or was this a trial run?

sbell111

So assuming the cap/magnet issue is being resolved, will the magnet be as strong as the Zen and Vertex eventually?

If you were to put these side by side with a zen, are they roughly the same size in length and diameter or is the Zap smaller? Is the tube size the same or close? I assume it will accept the Schmidt rollers like the 5888?

Given the questions posed so far, is this a kit that is expected to stick around or was this a trial run?

With the exception of the cap, it looks identical to the zen. I have swapped tubes with no issues. Both kits accept any old rollerball cartridge.

To be clear, the kit that we are calling 'zap' is a zen knock-off.

Last edited:

Carl Fisher

I think that's what I was missing was for someone to actually call out that it was a zen copy and not a companion pen of some sorts.

Now I think I'm on the same page :)

Top Bottom