You need fisher space pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that ballpoint pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat the problem, NASA scientists spent a decade and $12 billion to develop a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside down, underwater, on almost any surface including glass and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to 300°C.

The Russians used a pencil.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Crashmph

The lesson of the infamous "space pen" anecdote about NASA's spending a small fortune to develop a ballpoint pen that astronauts could use in outer space, while completely overlooking the simple and elegant solution adopted by the Soviet space program (give cosmonauts pencils instead), is a valid one: sometimes we expend a great deal of time, effort, and money to create a "high-tech" solution to a problem, when a perfectly good, cheap, and simple answer is right before our eyes.

As good a story and moral as that may be, however, this anecdote doesn't offer a real-life example of that syndrome.

Both U.S. astronauts and Soviet cosmonauts initially used pencils on space flights, but those writing instruments were not ideal: pencil tips can flake and break off, and having such objects floating around space capsules in near-zero gravity posed a potential harm to astronauts and equipment. (As well, after the fatal Apollo 1 fire in 1967, NASA was anxious to avoid having astronauts carry flammable objects such as pencils onboard with them.)

When the solution of providing astronauts with a ballpoint pen that would work under weightless conditions and extreme temperatures came about, though, it wasn't because NASA had thrown hundreds of thousands of dollars (inflated to $12 billion in the latest iterations of this tale) in research and development money at the problem. The "space pen" that has since become famous through its use by astronauts was developed independently by Paul C. Fisher of the Fisher Pen Co., who spent his own money on the project and, once he perfected his AG-7 "Anti-Gravity" Space Pen, offered it to NASA. After that agency tested and approved the pen's suitability for use in space flights, they purchased a number of the instruments from Fisher for a modest price.

workinforwood

Since I was just looking to make you smile or laugh...let me try again

THE NURSE'S PEN
A nurse walks into a bank, preparing to endorse a check. She reaches in her pocket and pulls out a rectal thermometer and tries to write with it. She looks up at the teller, pauses for a moment, then realizing her mistake, she says,

"Well that's great...... just great.....Some ahole's got my pen."

Crashmph

I was at a show selling my pens this weekend and had the nurse joke told to me not once but twice. I still laugh at that joke.

I had the NASA joke told to me, but they were serious. They did not realize it was a joke.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I was at a show selling my pens this weekend and had the nurse joke told to me not once but twice. I still laugh at that joke.

I had the NASA joke told to me, but they were serious. They did not realize it was a joke.

If you hear these all the time, why not post them???

You are welcome to do it here, if you like!!

Ed

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
THANKS!!

Yes, they are "fun" for the forum.

EQUALLY IMPORTANT: To the guys that do shows---Remember them! Everyone likes a little humor---how to get someone into your booth---"Hey, did you hear about the nurse that tried to write with a rectal thermometer?? Yeah, seems some a-hole took her pen!!"

Need presents for any nurses? Or others who might like a rectal thermometer? Why not look at a pen, instead? Let me show you a couple that are a little unusual......

This one might "give you a charge"---it's made from a circuit board!!! (optionally add, "And it's big enough that you won't mistake it for any thermometer--but it's a perfect size to fit most people's hand. I've also located a refill that makes it a dream to write with (Yes you could use 'smooth as a baby's bottom' if you don't think you've worn out that imagery by now). Give it a try on this pad, here!

(The door is now open---go to it!!)

Ed

Ed McDonnell

When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that ballpoint pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat the problem, NASA scientists spent a decade and $12 billion to develop a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside down, underwater, on almost any surface including glass and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to 300°C.

The Russians used a pencil.

Imagine if NASA had used pencils. It might have been $30 billion to develop the pencil sharpener they needed.....maybe that's why they went with the pen instead?

Ed

Top Bottom