What chuck do you like??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
And why??

I am putting together a comparison chart for scroll chucks, looking for input.

I have all the details on PSI's products, now I'd like the others.

If you know what comes "standard" --- or if you just have one and love it, I'd like to include it in the comparison.

THANKS for any help!!

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

I like the Nova chucks because of the wide range of interchangable jaw sets. I have two Nova G3s and a SuperNova 2 and the jaw sets fit both chucks. From Teknatool's web site:

"NOVA Smart Design. All NOVA Chucks use the same Jaw fixing profile, which means that all appropriate accessory jaws can be fitted across the range to any NOVA chuck. Only NOVA has this unique interchangeability. You don't have to change your accessories if you upgrade or change your NOVA chuck. You only need to invest in one set of accessories, saving you money."

The Teknatool's chuck prices are midrange and thus more affordable than some of the others -- IMHO.

They have good 'heft' but are not too heavy to use on a midi or mini lathe.

Just some of the reasons I like them.

I also have two Oneway's (a Stronghold and a Talon) as well as a WoodRiver chuck. They too are good, but not as versatile, IMO, as the Novas.

Dan Masshardt

I like the nova g3 and the vicmarc vm100 that I have.

The vicmarc I acquired in a deal so didn't buy new. It has the hex style key and comes with 2" jaws, a wormwood screw and wrenches for the chuck and jaws. Very sold chuck. Also more expensive than some of the other. These chucks require an insert that can be changed.

The nova g3 is a little smaller / lighter. People with smaller lathers often recommend the g3 because it is smaller and lighter than some of the other chucks. It has a geared key included and comes with 2" (I believe) jaws and a wormwood screw. An insert is requires.

The smaller nova midi uses tommy bars and I believe is direct threaded. Te larger supernova2 uses a hex key like the vicmarc.

Te g3 has an open back where the larger chucks are enclosed.

One advantage of the nova line is exchanging jaws across the entire line. And the price is moderate.

Something interesting to note, different chucks righted different ways. The nova chucks are safety chucks in that they tighten in reverse - theoretically so the movement of the lathe would only lead to the jaws tightening on the work if anything. The vicmarc goes the opposite of the nova to expand, contract.

Nova also makes a version of the g3 that's direct threaded for 1x8 and has a set screw to the spindle threads to enable using the reverse feature of some lathes without risk of the chuck becoming unscrewed.

The nova can often be found reconditioned or discounted through online sellers.

Cmiles1985

I have the Nova Midi Chuck. I bought it at one of the local WC stores...200 Miles away. I did not read reviews anywhere before hand, I only researched what was listed on the packaging in the store. It screws directly onto the lathe (1x8), came with two sets of jaws (both fairly small), and I have liked using it. My ONLY complaint, or regret, is the two handed adjusting operation. The chuck uses tommy bars instead of a key. They're bulky, the holes follow Murphy's Law and are never convenient with respect to the other portion of the chuck.

I will probably wait a while and buy a G3 as I get into turning slightly larger items.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I have a Grizzly.com
It's a copy of the Vicmark VM 100
I like it a lot and have no regrets buying it. In fact I have two because I'm too lazy to change the jaws. :biggrin:

I also have a Oneway Talon with serrated jaws. I also like this chuck and have no problems with it. I went with the Grizzly because I wanted another chuck and wanted to standardize the jaws.

One thing I like about the Vicmark clone over the Talon is it has a hex drive to tighten. The Talon had a gear drive. The hex is easier and more positive to engage over the gear drive. The gear gets full of dust/chips and needs to be cleaned otherwise it slips and harder to engage when tightening.

The Grizzly is also about half the price of either the Vicmark or Talon.

Grizzly has a new chusk that also looks interesting. http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-75-Wood-Lathe-Chuck-Set/T10808

Last edited:

dtswebb

I use the Nova G3 with the 1" x 8 direct thread and set screw for reversible lathes.

I like the ability to change jaws easily and Nova was one of the first (if not the first) to offer the pen blank jaws for drilling blanks on the lathe.

The open back makes cleaning easy. And for me, the geared jaws are easier to use than the chucks that use a hex key.

Dan Masshardt

Sounds like once we select a chuck, we like it!! Very helpful though, so please keep commenting!! THANKS!!

In another long thread about chucks sometime ago, I threw out an idea that most of the chucks out there seem to be pretty decent overall.

I then recall some dissenting opinion that there are a couple of the cheaper chucks that have bad runout or something. I've never used any of these so can't comment.

With the size of this community, we should be able to get comments about every chuck out there.

ChrisN

I have a PSI Barracuda 2, and I like it. It's the only one I've had experience with, though, so maybe I'm biased. :biggrin: The only thing I wish it had is a grub screw so I could use it in reverse.

CrimsonKeel

I use the nova g3. great chuck never had a problem with it. when i upgrade it will probably be to a supernova2 so all my current jaws will fit. my only regret is i dont have enough money for 3 of them so i have dedicated jaw set ups

BSea

I liked Chuck Conners in the Rifleman. Never was much of a Chuck Norris fan though, and thought the Chuckie movies were just plain stupid. :biggrin:

OK, ok. Back on topic. I have the Nova G3. Dan did a fantastic job describing this chuck, so I won't get into the details. I'll probably get another someday as I absolutely hate changing the jaws. Currently I have 4 sets of jaws for it. Although I rarely use the jaws for drilling pen blanks. It's a good idea, but unless I'm doing several at once, I don't find it efficient to change the jaws for drilling. And normally it's set up with my 100mm jaws for bowls.

kovalcik

I have the PSI Barracuda 2 and the PSI utility chuck. I bought them when I was turning on my ShopSmith with a 1x8 adaptor, and they moved to my Jet 1220. I purchased the PSI chucks since they came with a great selection of jaws, though I had to add the #2 dovetail jaws for $20. I have turned many small bowls on my 1220 and they worked very well. The utility chuck tightens with two bars, but if you lock the spindle, you can do it with one. The jaws are compatible between the two. I usually use the #2 dovetail and the PSI version of Cole Jaws. These chucks do not have a locking screw, but since the 1220 does not reverse it was not a big deal. All in all, I feel I got a lot of bang for my buck. They hold great and no noticeable runout.

I also have a Jet 1642. It has a 1 1/4x8 spindle so my PSI chucks would not fit. I decided on the Super Nova2 chucks because of the jaws available. I have no complaints. I have done some larger bowls and platters and the Nova chucks perform great.

I took a bowl turning class, and someone asked the instructor which brand chuck he liked. He said he has used just about every brand out there and they all basically do what they are supposed to. He had no strong feelings. He definitely had strong feelings about chisels other accessories, so I am pretty sure he was being truthful.

Marko50

Vicmarc

I really like my Vicmarc 100. It's the first one I bought and I have never seen a need to try any others. Perhaps I should expose myself to some other chucks out there.:rolleyes:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I have both a Supernova 2 and a Oneway.

The Oneway was a hand-me-down from my uncle, and has the tommy bars. The supernova 2 has the geared chuck jaws - it came with 2" jaws and the insert (bought from KMS tools - they include the insert), and I cannot see a downside to this beast....it's a great chuck. I haven't actually used the Oneway much because of it! :) The shield at the back prevents the insides from getting gummed up with woodchips and dust.

kyaggie

I'm wondering if anyone is using the new Nova Infinity Quick Change chuck? I have seen it on the Teknatool page and Teknatool's Youtube channel but I haven't seen them available for sale anywhere. Are they actually out on the market yet? It certainly looks like a great solution to having multiple chucks just because changing jaws is such a PITA!

Mike

kovalcik

I'm wondering if anyone is using the new Nova Infinity Quick Change chuck? I have seen it on the Teknatool page and Teknatool's Youtube channel but I haven't seen them available for sale anywhere. Are they actually out on the market yet? It certainly looks like a great solution to having multiple chucks just because changing jaws is such a PITA!

Mike

My local Woodcraft has them, but at $400/ea I can (and did) buy a couple SuperNova2 chucks and cut my jaw changes way down.

I have the PSi Barracuda and the Supernova. I use both (Barracuda has smaller jaws mounted). The Barracuda has straight jaws, the Supernova requires an angled surface. I keep the larger jaws on the Supernova because I find they have better holding power, esp on larger bowls.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Where can we see the chuck chart you put together. Thanks

After the information derived on this thread, I concluded that people LIKE the chuck THEY CHOOSE. So, it seems reasonable that all chucks will perform well. Just a matter of finding the one that has the jaws you need, or the one on the best sale.

I currently use the PSI gold barracuda (the one I once asked why ANYONE needed Titanium on their scroll chuck). I have deduced that I do NOT NEED titanium, but I really LIKE the chuck. Before that, I had a One-Way that I really like. (Fewer jaw choices, but very functional).

I don't ask much (in terms of versatility) of a chuck. Perhaps if I turned bowls and other larger things, it would be more important. But I don't, so I did not try to pretend to be an "expert".

Buy what you like, it seems you will continue to like it.

FWIW,
Ed

Rockytime

I started out with the Nova G3. After purchasing several sets of jaws I had the good fortune to purchase a nearly new G3 from a IAP member for half price. Half price because one jaw had a slight burr. A few strokes with a small file and it works perfect. Having two chucks that are the same cuts down a lot of jaw changing. The G3 is the only chuck I have had so can't comment on others but I love the G3.

larrystephens

You can't have too many chucks, I really like my One Way Stronghold for large work. Since I started doing a lot of pens, the chuck has not seen much use. I also have a nova that I am looking to get some small jaws to do some drilling. I just wish chucks didn't cost so much so I could have a bunch of them.

Skie_M

I really wish chucks didn't cost so much so that I could have ONE of them...

I paid $109 dollars for my lathe ... buying an attachment for a tool shouldn't cost MORE THAN YOUR TOOL.

workinforwood

I use the little machine shop 5c collet chuck. For anything like pens, that uses rods, it's the best way to go Imo. You can also get a 5c jaw set for it if you like to spin bigger things. There's nothing more versatile than 5c, except maybe 16c !

Charlie_W

My first chuck was a Nova G3 which I got for my Jet Mini. It performs very nicely. I bought a bunch of smaller jaws but they just live in their boxes. I am not prone to switching jaws very often. Just have to get used to the counterclockwise tightening.

After buying a used Nova 1624 and also getting a used Oneway Talon and a
Oneway Stronghold, the Oneway chucks are my preferred chucks. They are very nicely machined and I have not had any problems with them at all and would buy more. The Oneway 25% off sales help with the costs..
I use spigot jaws on the Talon and drill shorter blanks with it.
I do have the PSI pen blank drilling chuck and use it on my Jet Mini.

As for bowl or other turnings, I use dovetail jaws on all my chucks. Some of them came with serrated jaws but have gone to all dovetail

I won a Hurricane chuck in one of our club raffles last year. This is the larger one and is a heavy bugger. It had rough edges and corners out of the box. I needed to file burrs off the jaws and some other spots. I found out that the flat faces of the jaws were not all on the same plane even though they were securely attached. Also, it did not have the jaw numbers stamped in the end of the jaw slide. If you wanted to mark jaw #1 for remounting later. You didn't know which one it was. The chuck had a sticker on it with the Hurricane name instead of being cast into the chuck body. This leads me to believe that it is possibly a generic chuck and then the seller just puts their label on it. It is inexpensive compared to the others and does hold wood for turning.
Maybe you can guess that this is not my preferred chuck.

Most of the folks in our woodturning club that I know seem to prefer Vicmark. Oneway and then the Nova chucks and are the ones on the club demo and workshop lathes.

TurtleTom

Never change jaws again and get 4 or 5 Barracuda C series chucks.
I like them because they are short for mini lathes and I like the tommy bar tightening technique which I prefer over a T handle. I spent a long time doing production on a metal lathe making threads and I'm sick of T handles.
I also bought the PSI C series which is a cheaper version of the Barracuda C but not quite as good. It's heavier and the holes aren't offset for ease of use.

Top Bottom