Website pricing preferences - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Vendor Forums > ExoticBlanks.com -corner of IAP!!
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

View Poll Results: What is your preferred method of pricing on a website?
I want to see the single unit price. 7 22.58%
There is no need for a discount schedule, just show one price. 0 0%
I want to see the discount schedule and understand what products are included. 22 70.97%
Show me the best pricing I can achieve, I'll figure out how to get that price. 1 3.23%
A different opinion, explained in the thread 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2018, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

Default Website pricing preferences

When we started ExoticBlanks, we had a debate.

We allow our customers to combine the quantities of pen kits among the manufacturers we represent, so it is easier to reach quantity discounts. So, years ago, we said, "pricing as low as_____" (and show the 100+ price).

Of course, most orders were for 5 or ten pens and they received a higher price. So, we decided this seemed misleading and went back to showing the single unit price. (Really most orders don't pay this price, because our first discount is as low as 2 kits, depending on the product)

Well now we are revisiting this question, since we see the "Low as" being used by some as the advertised price.

What do you think? When you shop do you pay attention to the "small print" or do you just take the lowest price you see (even if it is NOT the price you will pay)?

Please comment, the survey will give us some idea of numbers, but we truly are perplexed as to the best web pricing strategy.

Thanks!!
Old 07-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 11

Can you show a price range? For example $9.25 - $11.00 where the lowest price is the best quantity discount and the highest is the single item?
Old 07-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

Thank you Jim!! That is very logical!!!

I will check with our IT department management (Dawn)!!
Old 07-13-2018, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 147

I personally like to see the price for purchasing 1 kit. I also like to see the quantity discount table like you have on your site. I like the way your website is set up compared to other sites like Berea.

I don't like to see the "as low as" price displayed on items. For example, I'm disappointed when I click on an item listed as $10 and find out that I have to buy 50 of those kits to get that price when the price for purchasing 1 is $20.

Edit: A price range would be nice too if that's possible.

https://www.instagram.com/woodnotch/
https://www.instagram.com/knot_board/

I Corinthians 10:31

Last edited by Rolandranch; 07-13-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Rolandranch is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Website pricing preferences

Price range does make sense. However, I chose you guys for my regular orders based on picking a list of items I was interested in that were available from multiple vendors. I then created a basket of like items from 3 or 4 contenders, including shipping and compared the result. Exotic Blanks won. Every few months I do a similar exercise and you still hold the line.

I live fairly close to an online competitor that has a broad selection of blanks. For small quantities they are my better choice. For more expensive items I still shop the price.

But, for what I consider a true order of mixed kits in any quantity, I default to you as this is the niche you excel at.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-13-2018, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 49

When I place an order I usually know what products I want and how many. If there is a significant price break at one more than I want, I may up the quantity by one, but usually not. I do like to see the discount schedule but typically has no influence on what I order. Keep it simple.

BRobbins629 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-13-2018, 08:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm not a big buyer, but as I've looked around the current Exotic setup is most palatable to me. I don't understand my own psyche well enough to know why. Prices are always very good, the service is always better, and the Peanut M & M's are the best.

I do like seeing the table below the thumbnails--on some sites I'd have to click on the hardware, then click a drop-down box to find out the range I might be in. The EB site also does a good job of noting what can be included for discounts--stated clearly. I like that too.

I've reached the point where I don't really feel the need to price competitively--though I do sometimes take a look around. Got really lost at Berea's site last week...but i'm pretty simple minded!!
earl
greenacres2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-13-2018, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

I rarely buy in lots of less than 6 or 12, I like to keep a decent inventory of the pen kits that I make. Buying in larger lots usually save money on the kit price and I save on shipping because I only order about 2 times a year.

If there was no incentive to buy in bulk to save on the kit prices, I don't know how I would order, it has always been an incentive from all of the suppliers.

Since I am pretty well retired even from my hobbies, I could easily switch to cheaper kits or other dealers. For that matter, I probably have enough kits and blanks to keep me busy until they throw dirt on top of me.
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-13-2018, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I like the way you price now. Thanks for your great service.

"He (Jesus) must increase, I must decrease." John 3:30
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-14-2018, 12:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

I also prefer how the site is setup now. Sites that show the lowest possible price, then when you click you realize that's at the highest bulk purchase, is not something I appreciate.

I like seeing the single unit price, with the discount schedule beneath it. It helps me decide what kinds of kits I want to mix together, and also frequently gets me to purchase one or two extra because I'm going to save a few dollars (which ultimately costs me more since I'm buying more, but we all win in the end!). Knowing how much the discounts are without needing to click in to every listing is nice as well.

Keep up the great work!

P.S. I like the new product images in the sidebar filter - they're a bit small to pick out detail, but it's still a nice touch.
Noot17 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads