We would like your input, please!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dawn has spent some time and money, purchasing a program that allows us to incorporate video on any page of the website.

It also allows several videos on one page. So, she started trying to organize the vids on ExoticBlanks.

Before we spend a ton of time, here is the "HOW TO" page:
Exotic Blanks :: How To Videos

WE KNOW this slows the loading of the page---is that objectionable? Does it work on your phones (if that is what you usually use)? Do you like it?

Also, I plan to do a LOT of instructions for individual kits. One such vid is now in place, here (scroll down one screen length)

The first vid is from Berea, the second is mine. How long should these be? Should I cover potential difficulties?

This will be a VERY time consuming project for Dawn to place them and for me to make them. PLEASE tell us if this is wasted time---we have many other plans, we can skip this, if you see no value in it!!!!

THANK YOU to all for any feedback----BAD or GOOD!!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I noticed the vids on the lever action page earlier today. It didn't really slow the page loading noticeably and the videos show up fine on my iphone using Forumrunner.

My take us that I wouldn't bother with instructions or vids for every kit but mainly for those that people frequently encounter problems with or have different aspects from the norm.

hanau

Why not just a link to your you're e channel?
I like videos and I learn a lot from them.
Tour lever action video help with the first one.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Could there be a link rather than embedding the video? It would be nice as an option, but I'd rather have the pages load as fast as possible. Especially, please don't make them auto play!

But Chris!!!

We all know there is nothing better than listening to ME!!!!:frown::frown::frown::frown:

Ok, we will keep it optional:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Quality Pen

It's not something that I would use on every product, or most products, but I have watched your videos before so I know they are not "worthless."

But I also understand this will be a BIG time investment. Honestly, I'd rather see you keep more products in stock that you already carry and we already buy!

The selection you offer is great, the site is good, and your customer service is excellent. So if there's one area where I think exotic blanks should invest more into it would be maintaining inventory.

My 2 cents -- worth every bit you've paid!

CREID

Dawn has spent some time and money, purchasing a program that allows us to incorporate video on any page of the website.

It also allows several videos on one page. So, she started trying to organize the vids on ExoticBlanks.

Before we spend a ton of time, here is the "HOW TO" page:
Exotic Blanks :: How To Videos

WE KNOW this slows the loading of the page---is that objectionable? Does it work on your phones (if that is what you usually use)? Do you like it?

Also, I plan to do a LOT of instructions for individual kits. One such vid is now in place, here (scroll down one screen length)

The first vid is from Berea, the second is mine. How long should these be? Should I cover potential difficulties?

This will be a VERY time consuming project for Dawn to place them and for me to make them. PLEASE tell us if this is wasted time---we have many other plans, we can skip this, if you see no value in it!!!!

THANK YOU to all for any feedback----BAD or GOOD!!
First let me say, you make very nice videos.
How long should they be? I know this sounds like a smart answer, but they need to be as long as they need to be to get the message you are trying to convey as well as you can. Of course there is one thing, I am not talking about your videos, but some videos I have viewed or started to view, the person making the video gets lost in talking and forgets he is trying to demonstrate something and next thing you know the video is 34 minutes long with 5 minutes of actual relevant content. Stay away from that trap and any length will be fine.
Are they necessary, YES. Not everyone gets it when someone explains it, but when they see it, all of a sudden, it makes sense.
Having the videos in an easy to find and orderly manner is very helpful. Which is what you want.
Curt

TwinkE

I liked the video for that one, it definitely helps for kits that are problematic or have ambiguous instructions. I also agree that not all kits would probably require a video and they definitely shouldn't auto start.

Bean_Counter

I agree with a lot of the above posters. I'd definitely just link it to YouTube and insert the link where you have the instructions for that particular kit. I would stay away from auto starting they slow things down and they are as annoying as pop up ads. Like above if stay with just problematic kits or popular kits and keep as short as possible. I found the lever action video to be incredibly helpful and a link from your page to that video would be great. Most good videos I watch are edited down and all talking is voice over. That way you can cut out the redundancy and not try to fillspace by talking too much.

Quality Pen

I agree with a lot of the above posters. I'd definitely just link it to YouTube and insert the link where you have the instructions for that particular kit. I would stay away from auto starting they slow things down and they are as annoying as pop up ads. Like above if stay with just problematic kits or popular kits and keep as short as possible. I found the lever action video to be incredibly helpful and a link from your page to that video would be great. Most good videos I watch are edited down and all talking is voice over. That way you can cut out the redundancy and not try to fillspace by talking too much.
I agree that something like the lever action issue is a valuable video to anyone who makes that pen!

If there was a pertinent video for specific things, that would be something that both catches my attention and I would probably watch.

If there was a generic video for each pen I probably wouldn't bother unless it was 30 seconds or less and hit on a few key points without any "fluff."

Gus Jr

It loaded fine on an IPad. First time I am looking at your videos, would not watch all of them but some are very interesting to watch. Gus

stonepecker

This would NOT be a waste of time, provided that people go to the vid before calling in a complaint. You can answer a lot of the questions that arise for the new people in this hobby. A 4-6 minute video would be acceptable for most instructions but remember that the simple things you 'know' maybe just what the customer is missing.

You "How to Videos" Ed are some of the best. They are NOT a waste of time and once they are there......they are there forever. We can always go back and view them again and again. And for the new people in the hobby.......that is very important. You can never give anyone to much information.

JMHO

csr67

Loaded quickly on my iPad, but that's more a function of having fast internet where I live. Great videos and very helpful.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Ed,

I think it would be a huge waste of time for you to do "a LOT of instructions for individual kits" videos. Your informative videos should address issues and techniques that are causing your customers difficulties, topics for which a visual demonstration may make something easier to understand. Don't start making videos for the sake of making videos. I also do not see the need for the actual videos to be embedded in the individual pages. What is the benefit to that? Links to the videos are fine.

Quality Pen

This would NOT be a waste of time, provided that people go to the vid before calling in a complaint. You can answer a lot of the questions that arise for the new people in this hobby. A 4-6 minute video would be acceptable for most instructions but remember that the simple things you 'know' maybe just what the customer is missing.

You "How to Videos" Ed are some of the best. They are NOT a waste of time and once they are there......they are there forever. We can always go back and view them again and again. And for the new people in the hobby.......that is very important. You can never give anyone to much information.

JMHO
These are excellent points.

I'd like to reiterate something in case it's taken the wrong way... Ed's videos are GOOD. In my humble opinion, I would not want to see Exotic's effort and resources be diverted from other "more" important things.

I certainly don't want Ed to think we don't appreciate his hard work! :wink:

magpens

Honestly, I don't think it's worth the time to do all those videos. You have other priorities.

Last edited:

zig613

I agree with Bean_Counter. Living in a rural area with marginal (slow) Internet service if the pages of a website I visit is slowed down by the auto start-up of a video I simply avoid the page(s) and move onto another website.

Wade

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Just to clarify a couple points:

NO, my ego is not so fragile that I need to "auto-start" videos so I am sure you are watching!!!

Is anybody watching the financial news?? YouTube is considering several ways to "monetize". In at least one model, you would have to PAY for watching. Some changes are bound to happen in the future, so I am hoping to have people gain what they can while the videos are still free (as we intended them to be). The closer I put them to the "topics" they reference, the more I hope you will watch.

AND yes, I will be concentrating first on the pens I receive the most phone calls about (murdered the English language on that one!!)

I think MOST who have commented are seasoned turners who probably don't need a video.

I'd like to encourage the "new guys" to let us know what YOU think!! Every month we gain several dozen new customers----HOW can we help you enjoy penturning more?? (If you read this as "How can we encourage you to buy MORE from ExoticBlanks--you are absolutely CORRECT!~!) We now have over 7500 products!! Even some that were REQUESTED by IAP members and have SOLD ZERO! This week, one person asked us to hold every pen of one style, which we did--but we will be out of stock now for a couple weeks--he bought nearly 100, which is more than we sold all last year---still not as many as he needed. So, yes, there will be times we are "OUT" of products. In addition, if we run out of ONE product (say 9000 refills), there is a 30 day waiting period AND we have to meet minimum order quantities---so we can't just order ONE product.

Enough of my whining!! Believe me, we WANT to have everything you want, ALL the time!! Every year we get MORE products, so every year this is closer to fruition.

Thanks to ALL for your input and support!!!!

Last edited:

mecompco

Ed, I've watched all your videos, a few numerous times. I agree that addressing common problems or FAQs is a good idea. Your current library seems to address common "generic" issues and how-tos.

Regards.
Michael

Skie_M

As a "new guy" and someone who only started turning recently, as well as someone who's a fan of youtube for learning....

I'ld like to say that the average attention span of the younger generation is a bit shorter than you think, these days. For the longer sections of just cutting or hogging off the excess material (where you are not outlining a technique), you may wish to fast forward for them.

Playing some kind of music in the background is great, as long as it does not detract from the information you are conveying... and as long as it is not repetitive... Change the music up from time to time within the videos so that we aren't listening to the same music over and over.

During the fast forwarding, and during the segments, talk to us! Give us an overview ... just describe what you are doing so we can keep track and pay attention!

Last edited:

hcpens

INPUT

I use only on a PC as my phone WiFi stinks.

Really like this part of your web page - only thing I would find helpful, would be a blank identification or link to the one being used with the kit shown.

Good amount of time, would rather listen to Dawn than you, though.:biggrin:

Not a waste of time, I have sent your links to many a beginner, with thanks back for the links.

Top Bottom