Sunday night2--Comments specific to Exotics, please!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

Nice job Ed
Maybe cut 2 or so blanks and paint each one a different color to show how that color changes the appearence of the finished blank after turned. Maybe one white, a purple etc...

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Nice job Ed
Maybe cut 2 or so blanks and paint each one a different color to show how that color changes the appearence of the finished blank after turned. Maybe one white, a purple etc...

Did you get a hold of my "planning sheet"????

As I was making this vid, I decided to make two sierras instead of one cigar for EXACTLY the reason you suggest----you may want to visit your doctor, if you start thinking like me, it could be a sign of premature senility!!!:eek::eek::biggrin::biggrin:

edicehouse

One thing I often do with a blank I am unsure of, generally there is a small cut off left (about half an inch), drill that, turn it down and back paint that and slide a tube in. Can easily get the paint out and change color.

PenMan1

FWIW and as "weird" as it may seem, we've found that dark colored resin blanks perform quite nicely when reverse painted with white or light colors of acrylic paint.

Conversely, light colored resin blanks seem to have more "depth" and behave quite nicely when reverse painted with black or dark colored acrylic paints.

We discovered this by accident when we under painted a light blue and white luster blank with white paint. The end result look "flat" or washed out.

It MIGHT be interesting to take four or five blanks from the same batch and back paint each a different color.

Again, FWIW: we found that a throat culture swab (long tightly wound Q tip) mounted in a variable speed drill makes a very efficient "powered paint brush" when the drill is operated a slow speeds. At high speeds, it still works but is messier than a soup sandwich.

Signed,
The speckled man

LagniappeRob

Please also add not painted but with the nickel, white, etc tubes if you could... I've be reluctant to use them for wondering if the glow shows up.

lorbay

Thanks Ed. I was just telling a buddy of mine about painting tubes as he is new at this. Great timing.
Lin

CrimsonKeel

Ive always wanted to make a stick with all the colors i would use painted on it. then i could insert it into the scrap cut off end of the blank turned down. then you could slide that ring down to find what works best and give the right effect

Top Bottom