Sunday at the movies!! Turning plastic poorly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
At the suggestion of Ed (Parklandturner), I made this video to show the characteristics of turning a plastic blank in a manner that will "chip out" as well as a more successful tool orientation and grip. Hope this will help some!!

Turning plastic poorly - YouTube

Well, another few hours shot making a video, but this one was certainly "out of the ordinary"!! Started by turning a plastic blank from square to round--in just a couple passes.

When biting off that much material, I was bound to get breaking and pits, etc. All the things we should avoid when turning resins. But, you will also see I was able to make it into a usable pen blank.

I hope this will help some of you identify the noise that your blanks make when they are chipping. Knowing when things are going poorly is the first step in correcting the poor results.

Again I hope you will all give your suggestions for ways to improve---

Thanks for watching,

Ed

Last edited:

SteveG

Nice job Ed, of showing and explaining the Why and How of smooth turning with "Plastic" materials. It is amazing how much time is invested in making a 3 minute video. So thanks for the investment!! Useful information for sure.

Steve

(When you get a notice that I edited you, it was because I was too stupid to find the "quote"---SORRY!!!)

Last edited by a moderator:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Nice job Ed, of showing and explaining the Why and How of smooth turning with "Plastic" materials. It is amazing how much time is invested in making a 3 minute video. So thanks for the investment!! Useful information for sure.

Steve

Thanks Steve!!

To be honest, this is the first of several. I "shot" using the roughing gouge and a carbide tip tool, as well. They will be converted to their own, separate vids in the next few days.

I actually enjoy making these, but I always wonder if anyone really learns anything. It is difficult to see the angle of the tool when things are going well, cause it is usually buried under "ribbons".

Ed

Top Bottom