Sunday at the movies--cross grain spalted pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

Great video Ed. That is a sweet blank and they will soak up the ca. May have to try some of the blanks to put on my Zaps i have. Thanks Ed

nascrdad

Thanks Ed. Being new, watching you use the gouge and skew is as educational as the rest of the content. all your work is well worth it. Hope your Dad is well.

Teeball

Ed, once again a good video. Lots of useful information for us noobs. Love that spalted wood they make some great looking pens. I have not tried putting CA inside the blanks yet, but will soon. Thanks. :good:

randyrls

To join the thread; I wonder if stabilizing would make sense for cross-grain woods? The grain length is less than an inch so you should be able to get full penetration of a hardener easily.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
My wife would say your a bad influence Ed. I'm on my way to the shop to turn mine now.
Great video.

Here's mine. While not cross grain, this piece was pretty punky. Stabilizing with thin CA works great.

Attachments

• zap.jpg
    zap.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 190

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ed,
Beautiful pen. May I ask what 'kind' of finish you used on this?

Thamks for all the information.
Wayne

This was pretty simple, Wayne.

It had CA penetrating it from inside and outside, as a result of the reinforcing while turning. So, I put on about 5 coats of WTF, let it sit overnight (2 nights as it turned out) and sanded with 1000 grit to make it REAL smooth, then buffed.

I like the way it looks, so I quit.:biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom