Sunday at the movies--beginner turning acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Acrylic pen--beginning tutorial - YouTube

This will be the final Sunday night at the movies. I strongly recommend using the "full screen" feature on YouTube--bottom right corner of "picture tube"--looks like [brackets].

It will be replaced by "ExoticBlanks.com Free Tutorial" series, which will start in January. These vids will be produced when we see a topic that could use some clarification (AND I feel qualified to make a worthwhile video).

I am very interested in comments about this last video--there is a section on "listening" to your turning, as well as a few instances of text inserted to try to emphasize some points. Did it work?? Do you feel you (or the "average viewer" if you already know all this) learned more from this format?

The new series will be more of a "this is what we are going to do, this is what we are doing, this is what we did" format. An attempt to be more of a tutorial.

Operative word is probably "attempt" ---only time will tell,

Ed

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

That is a nice video, the sounds section at the end added a lot. I was waiting for the square-to-round-in-two-fast-passes-with-a-skew that wowed everyone at the first MPG. You changed my world with that demonstration.:)

edstreet

The gouge you used on the first on seems to have several sharpening problems going on with it, was that done that way to show the center vs side issue?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I had to look to find a 3/8" gouge, Ed.

Haven't used one in at least 5 years. That one had a fingernail grind, I used it for deep coves, in peppermills. So, I blunted it and figured it would do, for the purpose at hand.

nascrdad

These were all very helpful. I will miss the weekly issues, but i will not miss your future posts. Thanks for everything you do for this hobby.

Cmiles1985

Thanks for this video Ed. I felt as if you were teaching me one on one; that may be since acrylics have really sparked my interest lately and that I have had many of the issues you mentioned. Thanks again, and I look forward to the new year with new "tutorials".

Thanks for what you do!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks for this video Ed. I felt as if you were teaching me one on one; that may be since acrylics have really sparked my interest lately and that I have had many of the issues you mentioned. Thanks again, and I look forward to the new year with new "tutorials".

Thanks for what you do!

This is exactly what I hope to accomplish!! I'd like to start a series, where we go from week to week, increasing the challenge and enhancing your turning skills.

Would you "sign up" for free lessons? Once every two weeks, for example? Would you actually practice, so you could be ready to move to the next level?

This is NOT just directed to Clark, but to all the members who might want to improve their turning and specifically increase the types of materials you can turn with confidence.

Yes, I AM looking for feedback. These vids are time consuming, but I do enjoy making them. Now, I need a purpose. So, if I make them, will you use them???

Thanks for any comments.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That is a nice video, the sounds section at the end added a lot. I was waiting for the square-to-round-in-two-fast-passes-with-a-skew that wowed everyone at the first MPG. You changed my world with that demonstration.:)

That was my first real demo to other turners!! The IAP had been focusing on "the dark side"--turning plastics. The "conventional wisdom" was that all plastics need to be approached slowly and with "scary sharp" (a term I never understood) tools and very light cuts. Well, I was making LOTSA plastic pens, using my normal not very sharp tools (I have never claimed to be good at sharpening) and "hog off" cuts.

The shock factor, watching the crowd that day was priceless!! Definitely a moment in my "pen turning" history that I enjoyed!!

It got everyone in the room (even RonMac) to watch the rest of the demo!! And one guy coined the term "Resinator" to apply to me---I was indeed flattered. So, in many ways that day changed my world too, Chris. And I thank you and everyone there for that!!

I gave that demo one time after that and someone reminded me that it was unsafe. So, when I went to Virginia, I toned it down to keep control of where the little pieces of resin where flying (not toward the audience, so no eyes would be damaged in the process). Some day, I will add that to the video library I intend to create.

Thanks, for the memories---there is much in the past, but far more can be made in the future!!

Ed
The "Resinator" (term coined by Chris--the wishman, who once explained his moniker with "I wish everything in this hobby was free!")

Last edited:

Cmiles1985

I would definitely go for that! I have been doing some reading (notably the Rowley book on beginning woodturning) and just practicing with scrap wood in the garage (oak and walnut) and making pens at the same time. It's difficult to squeeze so many things together while working full time and a half and raising two kiddos so far apart in age. I've also been taking up fretwork in the mix of things, although I've somewhat put that to the side to hone my turning skills.

Thank you Ed. If you'd like to collaborate, feel free to PM me and we can exchange email after that.

Brian G

Would you "sign up" for free lessons? Once every two weeks, for example? Would you actually practice, so you could be ready to move to the next level?

These vids are time consuming, but I do enjoy making them. Now, I need a purpose. So, if I make them, will you use them???

Three "yes, sirs" from me.

I muddled through my first efforts (one a freebie from Exotics!) http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/first-two-acrylics-bolt-action-diva-117150/#post1603880 after reading some threads and watching a few random videos. One thing I learned from watching this video was that I set the tool rest too low and my skew technique suffered. I had used a gouge with success.

I like hearing the sounds of turning, because it helps me know if what I'm hearing when I turn is something I should be expecting.

Thanks for the videos. I appreciate the effort it takes. I've tried making a few of my own with flatwork projects and discovered it isn't easy.

WalkOn

Yes Ed, I'd sign up for lessons. I'm sure it would help me avoid some future mistakes. Already may a fair share of them.

Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom