STILL am Workinforwood!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

The nickname has never been just a name, it's always been the truth! I love wood and have never been afraid to get dirty for it. You know, exotic wood, it isn't just wood from the Amazon or Africa. Exotic wood is technically all wood that is not harvested for commercial use. So even a wood like purple heart from Mexico is not exotic, and yet an apple tree from Michigan is exotic. For a person like me, either exotic or domestic they are both awesome sauce as long as they have either a story or some character, and if it's from Michigan it's just that much more special!
Harvesting your own wood requires patience of a yr minimum, and often a few yrs, but it's free and when stashed away you just forget about it until some day you stumble upon the finished, dry gem and remember the gathering and cutting and storing of it, so gratifying.

Here's a few recent ones I am excited about. On the left is kiwi. The vines I just burned but the root balls are where the potential is at, so I dug them up. The larger ones I sliced in half. A quick identification and harvest date written on them. Truly exotic and unusual
On the right is a root ball from a cedar bush. These are the types of cedar bushes that only grow a few feet high and wide that people decorate around their homes. I saw a neighbor digging them up, so I offered to pull them with my tractor as long as I could keep one. The character inside the root ball has major potential because there's so many branches all stemming from the same place. It's domestic in a way and very exciting!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 281
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Agree 110% with you . Have never understood those who think exotic has to be from far away . Local woods have just as much character . It is just a matter of knowing where to look . I get far more comments on my use of local woods than I do on the few non-local ones I throw into my product mix . Some of those would be local to you .

workinforwood

But they aren't just local either. Imagine if you lived in the UK, Australia or South Africa and you got your hands on some Michigan ironwood, sumac or plum. That would be really exotic special and rare for you!

stonepecker

That is just one reason to send a few blanks when the PITH packages are mailed.
I have gotten some pecan from Texas. and I have sent cedar from Minnesota. It is all a good thing to do a little trading when you can.

Jeff, That is some nice pieces you have there.

Last edited:

Mr Vic

I've seen a lot of pens made with either a cast Cholla Cactus stalk or inlaid in some form. For me the most intriguing part of the cactus is the root ball...It can be dicey to turn but is gorgeous.

Last edited:

JohnU

You Hit the nail on the head! This is the part of wood working I love. It's the woodworkers box of cracker jacks, in my opinion. I often set pieces of wood aside anxiously waiting to find the prize inside. I started out gathering free wood to support my wood supply because I was young and funds were limited with family expenses. Now I have some money to spend on blanks but find myself wanting self cut pieces because of the enjoyment and not the price. I have a family member who cuts firewood yearly. He always has a "John" pile just for me. Of course it drives my wife nuts!!! but she's always happy to claim a newly turned piece. lol

Last edited:

stonepecker

I would love to 'dumpster dive' in that 'John pile' with you John......LOL

Half the fun is being able to say "I found that piece of wood".....or even better is saying "That piece of wood came off the land you own."
I have done that a few times and the look on peoples faces is priceless.

BJohn

John

It's like Forest Gump Say's

"It's like a box of Chocolate's, you will never know what you find" In this case till you cur or turn it.

jttheclockman

Hello Jeff

Did you ever stop and think about the path your woodworking career has taken??? Just on this site alone you have shown off your talents many times. As an accomplished scroll saw artisan you have shown us works of art that have won you awards. Then you combine the 2 hobbies seamlessly and start showing and eventually selling these blanks. Now you have taken this talent and developed another form of blank making which makes it possible to enjoy much more variety. All the while still traveling the highways and byways.

It is amazing how we as woodworkers see normal trees and bushes and even sticks on the roadside as potential masterpieces that mother nature has left there for us. Just have to look inside and put it to use. Keep doing what you are doing.

workinforwood

I actually do think of it often John. Mostly my conclusion always comes back to the realization that I am a very blessed person! I am truly blessed with a good imagination, common sense, and most importantly family and friends that provide the support needed to make me want to keep going.

workinforwood

Oh....and today I am blessed with a bottle of vodka and a bottle of vicadin! I had a sist (sp?) removed from my leg this afternoon. It's fun growing old, growing odd lumps, arthritis and grey hair :). If you ever wondered, what would a strawberry McDonald's milkshake taste like with a couple shots of Smirnoff...the answer is it's a great idea!

workinforwood

This was an extremely lucky find. It is ironwood from right here in Michigan. I obtained it from a forestry management officer, it was from an insect study. The small piece us the size of my fist the big piece about the size of a head with 2 nice rotten but dry branch entries. It's totally dry with very cool character for casting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 114
Top Bottom