Spent my day making this

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Attempted to place order...but had trouble twice with using PP (not my preferred method of payment, but your site defaults to it). I sent you and email and vm.

Excellent video! I was the first to comment!

Crashmph

Constructive criticism... When you put text on the screen, try to put a black outline around the letters. It will make it easier to read for color blind and color deficient vision people.

Great recovery from a pen done write with hidden "treasures" inside.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Constructive criticism... When you put text on the screen, try to put a black outline around the letters. It will make it easier to read for color blind and color deficient vision people.

THANK YOU!! I will do that.

Crashmph

THANK YOU!! I will do that.

I saw this image a few years ago, and now I do this all the time.
pQjoQ.png

wyone

I thought it was a great video.. and have to admit.. it is nice to know that I am not the only one who gets to a point and says.. uh oh.. now what.. love your solution. I would not have thought of it. Thank you!

Quality Pen

Thanks for the video Ed! Got to see a pretty pen and learn from an expert!

It's interesting that you used the BLO to handle the holes. I'm gonna ask, why is it that that works??? I've never heard of it.

Anyways, that amount of holes is disconcerting. I recently did my third faux stone (not from Exotics to be clear) and found that there were different stone colors deep in the blank that couldn't be turned out. Unfortunate and a total waste. It makes me wonder if the manufacturer is still working out the kinks!

I've found this material to be HARD... I'm sure the color/pattern can matter, but like you said in the video the carbide really shines on this stuff.

I was wondering, what do you do with all the pens you make?! You must have quite the stockpile (presuming you've already given 2 to every friend and family member lol).

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The purpose of the BLO is just to clean the dust out of the small pinholes (and bigger bubbles, as well). Because it is said to be an accelerator for CA, things should progress faster (I don't know that this is the case, but that's what "they" say!!)

Funny you ask about the pens. I am now starting a system to keep them where we can find them. (Right now they are in several different places) From time to time we need a new pic of a pen, or someone complains about a pen style. If I can find the pen, I can see what could be happening.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Always nice to see a new material and nicer to see how it performs.

One question on your technique. I was taught to always sand longitudinally with the lathe stopped after using each grit on the lathe. Not needed for this material?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Always nice to see a new material and nicer to see how it performs.

One question on your technique. I was taught to always sand longitudinally with the lathe stopped after using each grit on the lathe. Not needed for this material?

I don't recall ever sanding longitudinally! My logic is simple: We sand with the lathe running at better than 600 RPM, so in 30 seconds, you have at least 300 passes (I sand at over 1000 RPM, so multiply as pertains to you). Then, to "even it out" you stop the lathe (diminishing your number of pens per day) and go back and forth a couple dozen times. THEN turn ON the lathe and proceed to the next grit. I don't think this makes a gnat's rear ends worth of difference.

Instead, I do all sanding on the lathe with the lathe running, hence it is all radial. Once I complete 600-1000 grit, the blank comes off and goes on a stick and is buffed. The buffing is done in the longitudinal direction.

Bear in mind, my methods were devised to make a maximum number of resin pens in a day. I don't argue with those who sand longitudinally, nor do I argue with those who wet sand. But for me, both seem unnecessary, and they make the process take longer.

You are entitled to your own opinion!!!
Ed

Crashmph

Another note of using BLO before your put the CA on... if you go straight to CA, you can end up with each of those air bubles holding in dust and creating white freckles on your pen. The BLO helps to clean out the holes or some argue it darkens the dust; it depends on which you choose to believe.

TurtleTom

Nice video.
I'm curious what makes these pens so hard. Is it reconstituted stone using carbonates? That would account for the hardness. Just about everywhere else "faux stone" means a painting technique.

Quality Pen

Nice video.
I'm curious what makes these pens so hard. Is it reconstituted stone using carbonates? That would account for the hardness. Just about everywhere else "faux stone" means a painting technique.
I don't have lab assays or COA's on the stuff, but it's definitely not typical resin or acrylic.

It's definitely characteristic of a stone composite!

Maybe Ed can chime in whether it's 85/15 like Trustone or what have you...

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hi Tom!

I truly don't know the chemistry that holds these blanks together! And, unlike many others here, I believe the manufacturer is entitled to "business secrets" if the answer is not critical to health risks. So, I am reluctant to ask for a lot of specific information.

Similar to my attitude toward Tru-stone===It is dense and therefore cuts with some difficulty---doesn't surprise me---it is mostly rock.

KenV

Good video --

Observations -- your skew is ground in a less conventional manner -- straight across and rounded towards the edges. Works well in your hands - but different, and likely easier to work in some ways. Certainly easier to slip from the skew as a shear cutting to to the skew as a scraper.

Critique - your SPINDLE roughing gouge (caps to add emphasis that it is for spindle use only) appeared that it could be sharper. Also noted that you did not use the wings which are more skew like in cutting action, but handle differently than your skew (see above).

Note -- I have gone to walnut oil (the kind sold for bowls and peppermills) instead of boiled linseed oil. Less amber color and easier to use with lower viscosity. Also dies not start fires from spontaneous combustion Those of us who use oil and CA understand how that works --

Will have to try some of those -- Thanks

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Ken!!

I used that roughing gouge for about 10 years, before I came to IAP. As you know, I have often said, sharpening is not my strong suit!!! So, with a nice dull tool and lousy technique, I was able to make hundreds of pens and bend dozens of mandrels!!

When I learned to use the skew, it was a MUCH easier tool to sharpen. As for the profile--every skew I use (half a dozen) has a different profile--no reason--just the way they ended up. So, I find the sharp spot that seems to cut easily and proceed.

I believe I reverted to the point of the gouge because of the hardness of this material. I would use the wings to cut acrylic, but taking the corners off this stone seemed like "single point contact" was the most likely to succeed.
Those who ask if I am scraping---no. The tool is cutting on the front edge. Sometimes it IS near parallel to the ground, but doesn't actually GET parallel.

Last edited:

KenV

Ed; with all the videos you are becoming the "Capt'n Ed" of the North --- More and more are hanging on each and every detail of you next video!!!

Me included

Blessnigs Guy -- I really did enjoy this latest episode!!

allmaclean

Hi

Liked the video and am interested in trying out the blanks. Have only worked on wood blanks at this point with a set of Harbor Freight chisels. Are they going to be any good for the faux stone or acrylic blanks?

Thanks

Allan

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hi

Liked the video and am interested in trying out the blanks. Have only worked on wood blanks at this point with a set of Harbor Freight chisels. Are they going to be any good for the faux stone or acrylic blanks?

Thanks

Allan

Thank you Allan!!

I would recommend getting on Exotics' email list, then purchase some of the "flavor of the week" acrylics (they are under $3 each and will yield two sierra style pens). This will get you accustomed to the right cutting angle for your tools. Yes, HF tools can do the job.

Once you are good at acrylic, THEN you might try the stone. I think you will find it less daunting then.

Most of all===ENJOY!!

Ed

Top Bottom