Search filter-please give us suggestions! - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Vendor Forums > ExoticBlanks.com -corner of IAP!!
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2018, 09:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4copies View Post
Now that that is available for Android as well as Apple, what is missing?
Malís cell phone!

In all seriousness, it would be nice if the bushing and tube charts were available in .xls (excel) file format. It would be relatively painless to sort the data for personal consumption...
Old 04-02-2018, 09:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehn0045 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4copies View Post
Now that that is available for Android as well as Apple, what is missing?
Malís cell phone!

In all seriousness, it would be nice if the bushing and tube charts were available in .xls (excel) file format. It would be relatively painless to sort the data for personal consumption...
Ah, yes, I like that idea! As a stats junkie, I could have a lot of fun with a spreadsheet like that and get a lot of use out of it.
Chief TomaToe is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 67

Quote:
Mal’s cell phone!
Hahaha ... I don't have one ... don't want one ... will never buy one, except a "Little Phone" (if I knew where) and that wouldn't do the task in question.

Seriously, as you put it, it is nice to have the tube/bushing data alongside of the pictorial and description of the kit. . I guess this could be off-topic, but it is so closely related to the suject of the OP that I hope you will forgive me.

Also seriously, I very much respect the work of Wayne R, I prefer the format of his 7-23-2010 table where every company is together.
Although that table is not up to date, I use it almost every day in preference to the present format of multiple tables; it covers most of my needs.

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

Last edited by magpens; 04-02-2018 at 09:47 PM.
magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2018, 11:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Ed, the thing I always notice on your site as far as searching goes is this:

When I go to the search box and type in Anthony, I never get a link to the actual pen kit but rather blanks, tubes and whatever else you sell for the Anthony. The weird part is that some pen kits will come up when you type their names in and others will not. I can't figure out what pens will show up, so I just usually end up drilling down to it through the menu.

Maybe I am the only one who notices this but it seems like it would be nice to type the name in and the first link be to the pen kit.

Lewis
Old 04-03-2018, 12:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

Good point, Lewis .... I have the same experience .... and I follow your strategy/approach on exoticblanks.com.

One other thing .... is the kit an Anthony ? ... or is it an Antony ?

I think that a good search methodology/software should compensate for misspellings on the part of the searcher or the website ... Google does that quite successfully but I know that Google is a much bigger enterprise and I am not expecting performance comparable to them. . I do not know what is involved in implementing such techniques, so please forgive me if I am asking for the Moon !

So that is another suggestion, Ed ... not that I am quibbling about spelling but that the search methodology should be made friendly for the spelling-challenged !

Another can of worms has been opened, I fear ......

Last edited by magpens; 04-03-2018 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:17 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Mal's cell phone!
Here is somebody else who thinks like I do (I assume ... judging from the title).

The title is:

I've decided to reclaim my life – by using an old Nokia phone

... and the link is .....

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...e-reclaim-life

Last edited by magpens; 04-03-2018 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:26 AM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 61

Ed; Late to the party, but a way to locate a kit by the size and length of the blank(s) it uses would be nice. I sometimes find a tubed blanks or set banded together with no idea of what kit they are to.

Maybe a cross-reference rather than a search. The Sierra tubes will fit these kits.

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. -- Stephen Grellet

Last edited by randyrls; 04-03-2018 at 05:28 AM.
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-03-2018, 07:35 AM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpens View Post
Good point, Lewis .... I have the same experience .... and I follow your strategy/approach on exoticblanks.com.

One other thing .... is the kit an Anthony ? ... or is it an Antony ?

I think that a good search methodology/software should compensate for misspellings on the part of the searcher or the website ... Google does that quite successfully but I know that Google is a much bigger enterprise and I am not expecting performance comparable to them. . I do not know what is involved in implementing such techniques, so please forgive me if I am asking for the Moon !

So that is another suggestion, Ed ... not that I am quibbling about spelling but that the search methodology should be made friendly for the spelling-challenged !

Another can of worms has been opened, I fear ......
Well, it seems others are having the same problems as me (at least one!) but as far as spelling, I have tried Antony as well. I get far less results on the search because EB uses Anthony as the spelling, none of which are the pen kit.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

Thanks for that info!! Depressing, since we bought the search function as an add-on to get better performance--but a problem we did not know about!!

And yes, I used Antony, because it was Dayacom's spelling. Dawn chose the Americanized Anthony. I would expect the search to accept either, not NEITHER!!!

Thanks for the information!!
Old 04-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpens View Post
Quote:
Mal's cell phone!
Here is somebody else who thinks like I do (I assume ... judging from the title).

The title is:

I've decided to reclaim my life Ė by using an old Nokia phone

... and the link is .....

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...e-reclaim-life
Incidentally, I forgot my cell phone in my office last night, it was kind of peaceful being disconnected. I was in college before getting my first cell phone, and was well out of college before my first smart phone. So like most others on IAP I have plenty of memories before cell phones and the internet, life wasn't so bad. Part of me is actually envious of the fact that you don't have a cell phone, but I couldn't resist teasing you a little bit.

Anyway, now that I have been reunited with my phone, I can say that I don't think the IAP App would do what you want (at this point anyway). I did discover that you can search "3/8 EXBL click" and it will display all of the click pen kits sold by ExoticBlanks that use 3/8 inch tubes, pretty nifty (note, I think that it would have to have "click" in the title). Also, it looks like there are some pictures of actual pens that are linked, as well as the kit instructions. It would be nice if the pictures could be "crowdsourced" like they are on the PSI website. One feature that that would be nice about having the charts in xls format is that you could sort by "type" or by tube length (ascending or descending, which would be good for finding kits that are the same diameter and close but not the exact same length) -- both of which I don't think can be done in the app.

I also did a little a little playing around with EB search and found that if you search the tube diameter with the keyword "kit" you will get all (I think) of the kits with that diameter. So, for example, searching "27/64 kit parker chrome" will give you all of those kits listed first. Unfortunately with the basic search it includes results with "any" of the keywords, so the items with fewer matching terms are listed eventually. Also unfortunate, is that in the advanced search if you search in the "with all of the words" it then thinks that 27/64 is two words "27" and "64", so you get no results.
Logged on members can hide ads