Search filter-please give us suggestions! - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Vendor Forums > ExoticBlanks.com -corner of IAP!!
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

Default Search filter-please give us suggestions!

Dawn has installed a new search filter to make it easier to "shop".

Now, we need to "build" the parameters. So, when you are looking for pen kits, please let us know what characteristics you would like to be able to search by. For example, "price", "rollerball or fountain", cross refill, parker refill, twist, "click"--that's a start--add YOUR suggestions below, please!!
Old 04-02-2018, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager
Emeritus

Photos: 132

Finial Twist vs. Body Twist

Midwest Penturners Gathering
Established in 2007, The MPG Is The Longest Running Penturners Gathering In The World!
May 18 - 20, 2018
Comfort Inn & Suites
5 Park Center Drive
Wadsworth, OH
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mbroberg is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-02-2018, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 11

I might be wrong, but it seems to me that you did away with the "sort by manufacturer" for a while. I just looked right now and its back (or maybe was never gone), anyway, I like that feature so hopefully you'll keep it.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 149

Filter by:

1. Pen kit Manufacturer
2. Blank size (What kit does it go to)
3. Only show "In Stock" items
4. Plating (Gold, Titanium, Rhodium, etc.)
5. Pen kit size (Jr series, Full size, Slimline, etc.)

Hope this helps.
brownsfn2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-02-2018, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Ed, most people who shop at your site I would believe know what they are looking for as far as kit names and if they want a rollerball or not. Never really paid much attention to your search feature now as far as kits so this could be redundant.

Types rollerball, fountain, ball point gets you in the stadium

Then within each of those platings.

Now you have type and plating. To me those are the crucial points of choosing a kit. Then comes names and these are so confusing so to me call a kit whatever you like.

Tube sizes

If you give all specific dimensions then people will know about blanks size. Heck if you are a pen turner as soon as you see tube size you know what size blank is needed.

So to me it is a matter of breaking down the main categories and not much else is needed. For easier finding listing kits by names is still a good idea. Along with manufacturers.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 23

Tube size (diameter and length).

Sometimes we have a piece of blank or wood and need to know kits it will fit. Especially if it is a short.

Also like to search on tube diameter if we have had a request for a skinny or fatter style of pen.

We definitely are learning what we prefer but still like to try new things!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Proud Mom of two young penturners
jennera is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 0

FWIW, I find myself wishing there was a way to filter the pen kits by tube diameter. Since I am new to the hobby, I don't have all the drill bits for the numerous pen kits out there, and I buy the drill bits as I go since they are a bit pricey. So from my perspective, if I want to try something new but don't necessarily want to buy new drill bits, I have to look at each individual kit to see what bit size is needed.

Maybe I'm the only one out there who looks for kits this way, but I thought I would share. I love your website by the way, and adding this sort of feature would make it stand out even more.
Chief TomaToe is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-02-2018, 03:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 60

I agree that "tube diameter" and "tube length" would be useful search parameters.

However, I realize that is information not usually emphasized on a retail site, sadly.
Could require edits to your existing pages as well as additions to new listings.

This info would set you yet another rung above other vendors, IMHO.

Just a suggestion from the point of view of a "techie" pen turner.

EDIT: Please include also the "manufacturer's/designer's name" ... eg. Berea, Dayacom, Exotics, etc. .... I know this is a tricky one but sure would help to distinguish between, for example, a Zen and a "Xen". I recently got quite a shock when one of my fave kits had been copied and remanufactured and wasn't what I had come to expect.

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

Last edited by magpens; 04-02-2018 at 03:59 PM.
magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-02-2018, 08:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

Regarding tubes, please recall that we handle over 1000 pen kits!!

I got the tube information and worked with Wayne to set up the IAP "ap". Now that that is available for Android as well as Apple, what is missing? The search would have to have every possible diameter for each tube AND length??

When I made pens, I made about 20 styles and sold thousands of about three types. IF I was looking to add a style, I read the instructions (at that time they did NOT have dimensions, but they DID say what drill bit would be needed) to see if it was the size I was looking for. Have things changed that much??
Old 04-02-2018, 08:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 60

I get that, Ed. That is why I phrased my reply to your request as I did.

One of the things I like about the PSI website is that most (not all) pages for individual kits has information on tube length, diameter, and detailed info on bushing sizes. I don't use a lot of PSI kits, but I do refer to their website frequently for this information on tubes/bushings because it is so clear. The Wayne R tables are a wonderful resouce but are not as clear as the PSI info.

I do not know if the PSI info I am referring to is "searchable" but I would doubt it.

I realize the magnitude of the issue ... but you asked and I responded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4copies View Post
Regarding tubes, please recall that we handle over 1000 pen kits!!

I got the tube information and worked with Wayne to set up the IAP "ap". Now that that is available for Android as well as Apple, what is missing? The search would have to have every possible diameter for each tube AND length??

When I made pens, I made about 20 styles and sold thousands of about three types. IF I was looking to add a style, I read the instructions (at that time they did NOT have dimensions, but they DID say what drill bit would be needed) to see if it was the size I was looking for. Have things changed that much??

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads