Repair suggestions, please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have a finial twist pen, single barrel, gatsby knock off style.

When the pen is assembled and the transmission is in place, it extends exactly correctly. However, when trying to retract, the transmission starts to unscrew instead of retracting.

When the transmission is out of the pen, it works properly in both directions.

Does anyone know of a way to make the transmission twist more easily?

I have tried "exercising" it before assembling and it does get better, but I don't know how long that will last. Is there a way to "change the grease" in the transmission?

Thanks for any input!!

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I have successfully used a very tiny bit of WD-40 in a similar situation.

Apply a small drop very sparingly on a toothpick or similar. Do this at the open end of the transmission, obviously.

Use a q-tip to clean up any excess.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks Mal!

That makes sense. In effect we are then "thinning" the grease. I think the grease IS the problem, so this looks effective and simple.

Any other suggestions???

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks Larry!!
The term "hardens" scares me, although I know you know what you are doing, so I am less "afraid". Does this product get rid of the "squishy" noise when you rotate the transmission?

Since you have used it and endorse it, I will certainly give it a try!!

THANKS!!

Fireengines

Hardens was a bad choice of words. It is like a very light grease after you spray it. It works wonders with sticky transmissions. The spray allows it to get inside the transmission.

Terredax

Banned
On twist transmissions, I used Acetone to clean them out, and a product called Chain Wax to lubricate them.
The Chain Wax is a liquid spray, and it's self wicking. Once it's inside, it leaves a wax film and prevents corrosion, doesn't attract dirt and crud, and won't run out.

Just another option.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
On twist transmissions, I used Acetone to clean them out, and a product called Chain Wax to lubricate them.
The Chain Wax is a liquid spray, and it's self wicking. Once it's inside, it leaves a wax film and prevents corrosion, doesn't attract dirt and crud, and won't run out.

Just another option.

Sounds interesting!! I will give it a try on a few test transmissions.
THANKS!!

More4dan

I sometimes get a burr that rubs against the transmission when turning. It happens mostly on Majestic Squires. I use a tapered reamer with a few twist into the threaded hole for the transmission. Smooths out the action. The tapered reamer is wonderful for cleaning out the tubes before assembling. IMG_1035.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

randyrls

Ed; Some of these transmissions (TR) have too much grease in them I drip DNA into the TR to remove some of the excess grease, then blow out the TR.

On some pens that have NIB sections/pieces that are screwed together I will include instructions that say. "Unscrew the NIB end to change the ink fill" and I put Locktite on the TR threads so the TR doesn't unscrew.

Top Bottom