Ramrod--kabooom--firing vid

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

4th of july is coming soon! I plan on firing my cannon on the 4th. I finally tracked down everything i needed to purchase, now just need a few implements, a ram rod to pack the barrel and i will need to build a second one with a cleaning sponge on the end. This is my ramrod...i used a drip cup of alumilite and a clear acrylic rod i had laying around. It looks pretty cool, its functional and it wont create a spark.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 379
Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

Dont worry, we will fire it soon and take a short video :)
Being a duel citizen i will fire it on 1st and 4th of july. Right now just working up the nerves to load it....watch tons of videos, read a few articles but watching isnt doing...its exciting but scary

mecompco

Dont worry, we will fire it soon and take a short video :)
Being a duel citizen i will fire it on 1st and 4th of july. Right now just working up the nerves to load it....watch tons of videos, read a few articles but watching isnt doing...its exciting but scary

It's been years, but IIRC we used aluminum foil to hold the charge--much safer on subsequent shots, even if you do swab out the bore. Looking forward to seeing the video.

Regards,
Michael

workinforwood

Thanks ed...yes we finally did fire it so on the 4th we wont look like we dont know what we are doing! This was 3oz powder, and just stuffed about 8" thick with packing paper.

I poured the powder directly in the barrel from a cup. I have seen the foil idea using a paper towel cardboard piece...and i liked that idea, but that guy i watched was using a fuse. My cannon uses a musket cap, so my concern was how is the spark getting through the tinfoil? With the fuse he just pokes through the tinfoil and shoves the fuse in. But with my percussion cap, the hole the spark travels through is so tiny i have nothing i could stick through it let alone be long enough to hit the tinfoil. We fired the cannon twice, we waited ten minutes before reloading it just to be sure it was safe

Top Bottom