Question for you kit less metalheads

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

I haven't made any of these in a long time. This particular example is aluminum but I will have a few each aluminum and brass. Basically 5" long solid rod. You drill for whatever your needs and if not long enough for a full pen kit or kit less pen then it's easy to come by more rod on eBay or wherever.

They are obviously going to be used by skilled craftsmen with knowledge and tools capable of dealing with metal. If that is not you, then you shouldn't purchase these. I rarely make them due to the cost and the mess they make in my shop.

Question I have is relatively simple. Would you prefer the images to be filled or just as is? As is will of course translate to cheaper and allow more options to the user.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

Picture here

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 344

Mr Vic

I'd prefer you fill it, turn it and send to me as a birthday pen gift...

Okay I'm thinking as is so I can polish and fill with crushed turquoise or other materials of my choice... Not quite a paint by numbers project. As usual your stuff even unfinished is awesome

magpens

How about offering the purchaser some choices: (1) unfilled; or, (2) semi-custom-filled from a range of materials offered by you (much like your Rotacrylic products but with a choice of the fill color; for example, red dragon or blue dragon); or, (3) custom-filled with a material of the purchaser's liking per discussion with you.

(1) would be the cheapest option for the purchaser, with (3) being the most expensive.

Frankly, I perceive a rather low demand for this type of product so I wonder why you consider offering it. Probably would appeal to only a very few of the more affluent pen-makers, and they would probably want to fully specify even all the details of the cut image; for example, I would like an image of a 1918 4-door Stanley Steamer car, with red body, black top, and brass-colored trim ! (But I am not sufficiently affluent to be able to afford that !)

Last edited:

workinforwood

It's not a high demand product but I dont make many nor do I make them often. People still have a need for products where they can fabricate a pen completely from scratch without any kit components, but at the same time they have the option of using components. Something like this would really match well with the steam punk kit.

PR_Princess

I am glad to see these being reintroduced. I loved these!!

Personally speaking, I would keep the blanks as is (unfilled). There are just so many options, so many different looks that you can do....I can think of half a dozen options right off, but I am sure that someone will come up with several that I never thought of!

Top Bottom