Question Ed???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I thought of you first and wanted to run something by you. Many times it is difficult to see exact colors on a site and to match to a specific thing, so I thought being you have access to the blanks in front of you is it possible to have the exact or close to exact color blanks to match a Rubiks Cube?? I have included a pretty good colored link to compare. These are straight colors with no highlights or added things. If so please let me know and if not maybe you can suggest an alternative. I do not have the colors to cast my own.

Thanks and here is the link I hope it works.
John T.

https://www.bing.com/th?id=Acb76c81fc3cfd74d3be82861253465a9&pid=Api

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
After 25 years of selling color copiers, I can tell you color is subjective. If I see two colors as identical, it does not mean you will agree. So, the best advice I can give you is to look at the "non-pearly" blanks, most are in the football colors area, here: https://www.exoticblanks.com/_search.php?page=1&q=football+team+colors&x=17&y=8

There are also a couple blanks from Jeff Powell that might work, notably the blue, which you can find here:https://www.exoticblanks.com/Simply-Blue-Alumilite-Resin-Blanks.html

Of course, if you plan to make a pen, the material will be a lot thinner and the hue will change, which can also be altered by backpainting.

So, like many simple questions, I'm afraid the simplest answer is buy a few colors and experiment to see how they can satisfy your requirements.

Hope that helps,

Ed

jttheclockman

After 25 years of selling color copiers, I can tell you color is subjective. If I see two colors as identical, it does not mean you will agree. So, the best advice I can give you is to look at the "non-pearly" blanks, most are in the football colors area, here: https://www.exoticblanks.com/_search.php?page=1&q=football+team+colors&x=17&y=8

There are also a couple blanks from Jeff Powell that might work, notably the blue, which you can find here:https://www.exoticblanks.com/Simply-Blue-Alumilite-Resin-Blanks.html

Of course, if you plan to make a pen, the material will be a lot thinner and the hue will change, which can also be altered by backpainting.

So, like many simple questions, I'm afraid the simplest answer is buy a few colors and experiment to see how they can satisfy your requirements.

Hope that helps,

Ed

OK Ed thanks for getting back to me. I guess I have to start somewhere so I will get a package together for an order. I would show my IAP card but do not have one yet:biggrin::biggrin:

I see the red is out, do you have a time when they will be back in stock??

Ed I added some nautical pen kits to my blanks order. Made a separate order you can combine. Also I forgot to add 5 extra tubes for that kit so if you can add those and then just charge me when my red blanks come in. I will be looking for 4 of the reds also. Thanks sorry for the double order. Happens when you have after thoughts.

Thanks

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Pantone numbers are only useful if you have the reference book, which is thicker than the bible and used to cost thousands of dollars when I researched this.

When I made pens for shows, I had hundreds of blanks from which to choose, it was a cost of producing pens. In fact, I still have hundreds in my shop at home--but they are all paid for!!

Even when I bought a pretty good quantity, there was often substantial deviation from one blank to the next that were "supposed to be" the same color.

So far, the football colors have been pretty consistent from batch to batch.

jttheclockman

Pantone numbers are only useful if you have the reference book, which is thicker than the bible and used to cost thousands of dollars when I researched this.

When I made pens for shows, I had hundreds of blanks from which to choose, it was a cost of producing pens. In fact, I still have hundreds in my shop at home--but they are all paid for!!

Even when I bought a pretty good quantity, there was often substantial deviation from one blank to the next that were "supposed to be" the same color.

So far, the football colors have been pretty consistent from batch to batch.

Ed I hope you got both my orders and seen the message I left here as far as the red blanks and extra tubes for those kits. I know you are busy so no real rush for these. This is a project that has been rolling around in my head for some time and on my long to do list:biggrin:

CREID

Just to be sure I was still correct, I looked up the Pantone color guide. You can buy a hell of a lot of pen blanks, OR, invest $1100+ here:

https://www.amazon.com/Pantone-GPC3...ocphy=1028175&hvtargid=pla-304234145187&psc=1
Spent 30 some years in the printing industry. Worn out more Pantone books than most of you will probably ever see.

Just so you know, in the Amazon ad pic. The books in the middle are the books, the ones on either side are chip books. Copies of the ones in the middle with perforated tear out chips so they can be attached to artwork or whatever and not having to destroy a whole book. Now when I was still working we bought Pantone books for about one hundred dollars a piece. Having said that, the books even if you didn't wear it out every month or more often depending, have to be replaced every year due to yellowing of the paper. Also as good as Pantone is, quite often there is variance between versions of the book. Now this is all for the standard Pantone book, there is also books strictly for pastels and also interior decorating books. My boss hated it when I would order a dozen books every month and give them away. :biggrin:

jttheclockman

Ed just wanted to let you know I got my order in today. Thanks for combining them. Please let me know when the red blanks come in. I will be ordering some extra tubes also for those kits. Looks like I should be able to get the colors I am looking for out of these solid colors. Thanks again.:)

Top Bottom