Product introductions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
In another thread, I was advised on how to introduce a product for Exotics.

My "gut reaction" was to ignore the statement, but then I got to thinking about how many of you have "always wanted to be in business for myself"!

In order not to "cloud the issue" in that thread, I will give you a little information about "projects" in the real world.

The first project I undertook in the pen kit industry was about five years ago, now. Realizing that labor is cheaper in China, I went to a few Chinese sources and, finally asked one of them to make 1000 pens for me. I had priced 5000 and 10000 and the difference (for this particular job) did not merit a larger investment. I was promised delivery in 40 days. Pay in advance (this is the "standard terms" you get in China, until you have done a fair amount of business with a vendor).

Forty days passed and I heard nothing--a couple emails went unanswered. Then, about ten days later (50 days), I was notified they were ready to ship. When I received the order, it had been nearly 90 days---they were shipped by sea and Customs was completely unfamiliar to me--all meant delays.

I went into this thinking a 10,000 unit order would "move mountains. I came out realizing I was a very small mole hill.

Now, I am working with different sources but I recognize my overall lack of importance. Yes, I could PUSH for delivery dates to be kept---at the risk of receiving crap. Instead, I have learned to stress the performance and durability of the product---allowing delivery to be rescheduled as needed.

CAN a project involving several suppliers all be coordinated for a "grand entry"?? How often did Apple have to delay a product introduction? Can you see where a company with hundreds of millions of dollars SHOULD be able to make it happen----but it doesn't??

So, to those who aspire to "be in business for yourself"---first understand your importance to the world-----MINIMAL!!! So, be prepared to do things in baby steps, on someone else's version of a timeline!

This is what I have learned so far.

It has not resulted in well-tuned, perfectly-timed grand entries----But I HAVE been happy with the resulting products. And THAT is the highest priority to me.

I think I will keep more customers and we are adding a couple dozen a week, so we must be doing something right:wink::wink::wink::wink:

OH, if you want to make a small fortune by being "in business for yourself", it really is EASY~~~ Just invest a LARGE fortune, it will be small, soon!!

Hope you enjoyed,
Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

My brother in law went into business for himself without that advice. he underinvested and went bankrupt. Hard financial lesson to learn. Glad things are good Ed!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'll drink to that

Trust me Ed is spot on. Introducing a new product even with just minor differences from another can be a tough undertaking. I have done this a couple of times, and it isn't easy - if you are not established with the company that is going to make them you can wind up going to the bottom of the list. And then, they might not sell.

Don't think that you will be much other than small potatoes to the company unless you have something else going for you that arouses their interest.

If you are going Chinese - do go for quality and not just price....

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Nope I don't think gettint married was a mistake.

I think if I stayed single I'd have been dead 30 or 40 years ago. More than likely I'd have been shot by a jealous husband or killed myself taking some foolish chance, or dirven one too many times while "over imbibing" just a tad. Young men used to think of marriage and children as a reason to "settle down" and start acting like a grown-up. Today the attitude toward marriage and children has changed somewhat among young men and women.

I think I was driving "impared" almost every Friday, Saturday and Sunday - it would have been bound to catch up with me.

My motto was live fast, love hard, die young and leave a good lookin' corpse.

ottotroll

Smitty...
I just want to be shot dead at age 94, by the jealous husband of a 22yo supermodel, in a case of mistaken identity. ...
When I was in the Navy (55+ years ago) that was the "preferred" choice of a way to die among the sailors.

I just figure that by being "mistaken identity", I was true to my wife, an as far as "supermodel" goes, at least at age 94, I still was spry enough to be suspected! (Btw, I will turn 50 on Memorial Day...)

Top Bottom