Poll: New product name offensive?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

How would you react to the name "Stabilizing devil"

• With 666 square inches, what else COULD you call it---no problem!

Votes: 29 35.4%
  • I'd rather see an alternative, but I could live with that name.

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • I would take offense at the trivialization of the devil image, don't do it!

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • No strong opinion--generally ok.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I am searching for a name for some wood stabilizing "pots" we are going to introduce very shortly (this week).

These are stainless steel, which means they are very safe and impervious to Cactus Juice or any other stabilizing fluid you might want to use. You cannot see through them, obviously, but I think they offer a major advantage in that you can put several small chambers into the big chamber and do stabilizing and or dying in several small containers at once. So, I measured the cubic inches.

One of the containers is 667 and small decimals----very close to 666. So, I announced to Dawn that I was going to call it the stabilizing devil!! She said, "We have some folks who are ministers, what will THEY think of that"?

GOOD question. So, please answer the poll, so we can be sure we are not offending anyone.

Comments are always encouraged---especially if you have a BETTER name for the 667 or the 365 cubic inch!!

Thanks

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dan,

I am hoping people will remember the 666 and 365. These will be our largest two pots. 365 is, of course, a year. 360 is the number of degrees in a circle. Don't know where that will lead me, certainly encouraging suggestions!!

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
The Devil is in the details! I see nothing wrong with the name. It would probably offend someone. I wonder if those who would be offended like to eat Deviled Eggs, or Devils Food Cake, or own a Dirt Devil?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I am amused to be able to confirm that the 58 Cadillac engine was 365 cu inches. That pot sure does NOT look the same size as I remember the engine!!! But we may call the pot the 365--V8???

The next smaller one is 250--again, isn't this a common engine displacement?
Should it be our "small 6"??

Or should we attempt to rate them all in the number of blanks you could, theoretically stabilize at one time?

Last edited:
I vote for the Stabilizing Devil and the smaller one should be the Little Angle! Face it, you will not make everyone happy so name it whatever you want to. Or you could hold a contest to come up with a name and give one of them to the winner (and me).

Karl_99

I don't see anything wrong with the name, but I think beast has a better ring to it.
You could use a dash and capacity number to differentiate different capacities.

Will this be suitable for pressure or only vacuum?

ChrisN

I like Dan's suggestion - Stabilizing Beast. You could name them by their capacities - Stabilizing Beast-667, -365, -250, etc.

turncrazy43

Stabilizing devil sounds OK to me Ed. Remember, no matter what you call something today someone is going to be offended. Call it what you wish. The offended always have too mush time on their hands and would be better served finding a worthy cause that serve all of the people INHO.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I don't see anything wrong with the name, but I think beast has a better ring to it.
You could use a dash and capacity number to differentiate different capacities.

Will this be suitable for pressure or only vacuum?

These are going to be vacuum chambers only. In order to make a pressure pot, the top has to lock down. This is an expensive "add-on", and it requires a metal top. The tops we are using are polycarbonate (transparent).

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You could always call it something with 2 initials followed by a big number like the PR-6000

little one get smaller numbers. Pr-3500...................or not

stonepecker

I am searching for a name for some wood stabilizing "pots" we are going to introduce very shortly (this week).

Well........Today is the last day of the week.
Hope that you have a name. There are some really good ideas here.
HOWEVER, We all know that Dawn comes up with the best ideas and she has the final vote.

JUST YANKING YOUR CHAIN ED..........KEEP SMILING.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

HOWEVER, We all know that Dawn comes up with the best ideas and she has the final vote.

We received two new pen kit styles from Berea (glacia and carbine) !!! Our hope is to get these AND the pots "up" this weekend. Dawn also has several boxes from our artist-partners, so she won't get bored, and there are a handful of orders that need to go out yet today.

One REALLY NICE thing about Exotics---there is ALWAYS something to do that will be fun for us and entertaining for you, our customers!!!

BTW---in my PERSONAL OPINION, the Glacia will be a BIG hit!!!

Nice styling, FINIAL TWIST!!!
Vids and pics will be up later today, if all goes according to plan!!

Stay tuned: If you haven't seen Exotics today, you MISSED something!!!

(Last week was feathers, still a few remaining)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
12% said don't use "devil", so we are going with "beast". (Thank you Dan and others!!) I am looking for a "beast" with clipart---ideally clipart that is conducive to animation. Of course, it also needs to be "public domain" or purchaseable for a reasonable fee. If anyone has suggestions, PLEASE feel free to post or PM me.

The Glacia is happening FIRST today, so I will not be on the forum for a couple hours while I "shoot video" and take pictures of finished pens.

REALLY DIFFICULT to call this "WORK"!!

You will all see the "fruits of my labor" later today.
Ed

Last edited:

PR_Princess

LOL Wayne. Actually the best ideas come from the IAP members. I am frequently amazed at the talent and creativity here!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That glacia is a good looking pen kit and a nice price. They will def be in my next order!

I have made a couple and will be recommending an "R" drill bit. We don't currently have this size, but if you have a full set (ala Harbor Freight), try the "R" and see what you think---you can always enlarge the hole with the 11/32" if you prefer!!!!

Vids and PDF instructions by the end of the day (IF it goes as planned):rolleyes::rolleyes:

stonepecker

Better to see the "fruits of my labor" then your "fruit of the looms".

The Glacia is now on the top of my to do list and the video isn't even up.
THAT looks like a pen kit and a half. Hope you got a big supply.

Glad that you are busy Ed......sometimes I feel like making a sign that says ........"Will work for pen kits."

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Video is complete on my computer, uploading to YouTube. Look for it in about 90 minutes. Meanwhile, I will be writing the instructions.

Top Bottom