Pirate Bones ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greggas

Hi Ed and Dawn;

I see your new "Pirate Bobe" blanks....based on the description it sounds like real bone...can you give a little more info?

I did not see any description on the site...sorry if i missed it

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Greg!!

As you know, Exotics "stock in trade" is marketing blanks that are hand-made by our talented artists!! They search high and low for NEW ideas to create NEW blanks. When they send the blanks to us, they are enthusiastically awaiting the initial sales to guage the potential of their unique creations!! However, they do NOT always include information that we would LIKE to pass along.

We have forwarded your question and should get an answer in the next couple days!!

Thanks for your interest!!

Ed & Dawn

Bipolar Pens

Pirate Bone blanks are made with sea urchin spine (non toxic) sold as a craft item for jewelry making. I used the name "Pirate Bone" as an abstract name and pun. There is no literal bone material in the blank. However, the urchin gives the appearance of bone, I wanted to do something similar (to bone), but unique, and sea oriented too.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGBWaaPbM00

I was very curious what the inside of these blanks looked like!! So, here is the video of the first half of one!

I am now turning the other half of that blank--the bone orientation is different--would be a great two piece pen, but I am making two diplomats---one in the new TiGold plated version!!

Pretty good vid, I think---comments welcome,

Ed

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sounds like you should load an additional browser, Wayne.

Search "Slimbrowser". It is in the top ten, but not well known. Has worked for me!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Neil sent us a couple large flat rate boxes. Dawn has started posting them, but it will probably take a couple days to get everything "up". It WILL happen, stay tuned!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
After doing the video, I have done the second pen.

On this one, I did a "quick" application of thin CA, after sanding with 400 and 600 grit. I am pretty happy with the results.

(I allowed the CA to cure for an hour, then sanded it with 600 grit to smooth it out. Last, I did the same Tripoli and white diamond buff that I had done on the Pirate Bone yesterday---the results were MUCH better today--see pics attached.)

As you can see, the "reflection line" is uniform, across the "pirate bone" section.

Attachments

• pirateboneCA1.jpg
    pirateboneCA1.jpg
    690.5 KB · Views: 141
  • pirateboneCA2.jpg
    pirateboneCA2.jpg
    666.7 KB · Views: 143
  • pirateboneCA3.jpg
    pirateboneCA3.jpg
    681 KB · Views: 138
  • pirateboneCA4.jpg
    pirateboneCA4.jpg
    691.6 KB · Views: 140

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dawn has posted the "Pirate Bone" we have. Because the numbering system is a little "fraschimelled", I have done a search which results in all the available choices being on one page. You can find that here:

Exotic Blanks :: Results for Pirate bones

These are NOT difficult to turn, but finishing them does take a little technique. I expect to get another youtube up tonight, showing how I did the one pictured above.

Thanks for your support of all of our "artist-partners"!!

Dawn and Ed

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Video of the second Pirate Bone pen is complete:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tl2FUK1wR4

Edited Monday morning---this is the correct link, the one I posted last night was incorrect===I did not realize the second vid had not completed YouTube processing==this IS it.

(With all YouTube videos, it is a good idea to watch them on full-screen size, you will see a lot more detail!)

If you are "on the fence" about trying these, watch the vid and look at the pictures above---with a little "controlled CA application" the blanks will make fantastic pens!!

As always, I look forward to your comments.

(You may not believe it, but these videos take about four hours to make and edit, so "like" and "subscribe" and orders for the products, as well as your comments keep me doing it-)

Ed

Last edited:

stonepecker

Thank you Ed for the new videos. Finally got to see them both and the 'bones' blank looks great.
When you are 'soaking the bone' with thin CA, something you said in another vid came to mind. What are your feelings of putting CA into the hole and soaking the blank from the inside out before turning?

Beautiful blanks.......these are on my personal list to try.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Back to the office, looking over the orders. THANK YOU to those who have watched the videos (over 100 between the two vids) and a special thanks to those who have ordered the Pirate Bone!!

I also want to point out the new blanks Neil sent to us!! These are darker colors than Neil usually uses---I think they are striking!! Apparently so do many of you, they are selling quite quickly!!

Exotic Blanks :: Guest Artist's Blanks :: Neptune Turning

This is the link to the darker colors. As you can see, it is page 2 of Neptune Turnings' blanks---I would encourage you to look at all three pages---Neil has made a fantastic selection of both lighter and darker blanks. All Alumilite--all very EASY to turn!!

Thanks for reading!!

Ed & Dawn

Top Bottom