• I'd buy lighter brown

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • I'm a paper box guy, no leather needed

Votes: 9 22.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I am in the midst of researching pen "gift boxes". Minimum economical quantities are in the thousands, so I prefer to purchase what YOU want to purchase. This is probably a two year supply.

One possibility we expect to pursue is "nice" leatherette boxes. One of the sources has presented a brown outer case, with white interior. It looks nice, to me. However, I remember I had one years ago and went back to black for the majority===my recollection it was a matter of cost.

So, please give me input on "leatherette" boxes---my guess is they will be around $7.50 at retail.
(select all that apply to your preferences)

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cionow777

Black. My preference and seems to be the choice our customers choose. At the price of $7.50 retail, they will have to be really nice.

cionow777

Then, sounds good. Black i still think is my first choice. That said, never had a nice brown one available for sale, so i do not know how it will sell. I do know, between black, white, red, blue and gray, the black outsells them all. But, if you have them, I will certainly try them.

Quality Pen

Black for me. But at 7dollars i would want real leather! There are some nice leatherette boxes available now for considerably less that are very nice quality.

Dan Masshardt

I like black for this style.

I think the $5 psi leatherette is pretty decent. The strap bugs me sometimes. For me the strap inside is a crucial aspect.

Would these have the white outer sleeve?

Of course the drawback to the leatherette is that it's not customizable with logo or engraving etc.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I am open to other alternatives!!!!

If you know of a box that you like, please PM me with a link (I found PSI's -- Thanks Dan!!)

To get them made will require large numbers and will, likely end up stalled in the Pacific Ocean for weeks if not months. I would love to find an alternative, without compromising on quality, that are already in the USA!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
No conclusions, lots of options.

We have purchased from PSI and others, so that we can see the actual box.

Exotics has one major limitation: we are not millionaires. Every product is evaluated by how many weeks, months it will take to sell the quantity we will have to buy to reach optimal cost. With boxes, it seems we will have to purchase YEARS worth.

We will improve our offerings, through the Summer. We MAY make a large purchase, but I'd rather use the money in pens and pen blanks. They move more quickly.

Hope that makes sense to you--it is one of the major factors that help us grow quickly==turn over inventory---DON"T sit on it.

Dan Masshardt

No conclusions, lots of options. We have purchased from PSI and others, so that we can see the actual box. Exotics has one major limitation: we are not millionaires. Every product is evaluated by how many weeks, months it will take to sell the quantity we will have to buy to reach optimal cost. With boxes, it seems we will have to purchase YEARS worth. We will improve our offerings, through the Summer. We MAY make a large purchase, but I'd rather use the money in pens and pen blanks. They move more quickly. Hope that makes sense to you--it is one of the major factors that help us grow quickly==turn over inventory---DON"T sit on it.

I agree. I think if you continue to sell the boxes of other suppliers and possibly increase just a little you'll continue to be a good one stop shop.

bgio13

I have purchased the leatherette boxes from PSI for the last five years or so. I like the way the pen looks in the box and I think it's a nice selling feature when I sell at the few shows I do around the holidays. With that being said, the last shipment of boxes I received last year were horrible. The cardboard insert kept falling out because the glue kept failing, and the hinges kept popping out of the box when I closed it. I called PSI and they said they weren't aware of any issues. Out of the 50 boxes I ordered, I probably threw away 5 because they just fell apart, and to me that is unacceptable, they are just too expensive. I am always looking for an alternative, but for me $7.50 puts it out of my price range. I buy 50 at a time and that puts them at $4.45 and I'll wait till they have a coupon which makes them cheaper. Quite frankly, one of the only reasons I order from PSI is to get boxes, I would love to be able to buy them elsewhere, hope this helps Ed,

Bill

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Boxes are a pain to all vendors.

They are bulky and don't weigh much--so freight in is high, then, when we sell them, they don't fit in the flat rate boxes, so freight OUT is high. We invariably spend much more than our flat rate shipping charge to get them to the customer. And, they are relatively low margin, because of all the shipping charges.

We had hoped that this survey might find a niche that we were missing (everyone had a long-hidden desire for a purple and orange that no one is handling)! Instead, it confirms that the standard black box is fine.

You will probably be surprised to know it is more economical for us to order retail from Penn State, when they have a sale, than it is to buy 100 from them at "dealer". The retail pays flat shipping, the dealer pays actual---eating up the "dealer discount".

So, it appears, we will continue to struggle to find a "better mousetrap"!

We do appreciate your input---
Ed

Carl Fisher

There are a lot of box options in bulk from Aliexpress. Have you looked into importing any of them? I almost pulled the trigger on a set but MOQ was 500 I think at the time and it was more than I was looking to have tied up in inventory. But there are some nice looking options out there.

avbill

Ed I use the CUSA cabrettte box Its a nice black leatherette the cambridge and full statesmen fit it. Even with the increase price this year it still under $ 5.00. Every client receives this pen box. Such as a Beethoven pen box for the piano pen. As you know I also give the client the executive black leatherette pouch as well. Its amazing how just these one thing [the pouch] stops the client from asking for a discount. why b/c its free!

I carry a sterling plastic - 3 draw box and the draws carry 16 of the cabrettte box and the high of the pen box fits two high in the draws. I have yet to sell out of the 3 draw pen boxes So the pen box size is very important to me. for storage- wise.

Last edited:

robertkulp

I just purchased ten each of black and white faux leather bracelet/watch boxes from Store Supply and they work fairly well, with one exception. The elastic hold-down cords are a little too far apart. (With a Jr. Gent II, one strap is under the clip at the finial and the other is on the threads at the end of the body.) I would prefer something geared more toward pens - with a single, wider band placed diagonally.

At any rate, if these could be modified with a different band, they would be a killer product.

Attachments

• Robert Kulp Creations - Jr. Gent - Black Cherry Burl - Case.jpg
    Robert Kulp Creations - Jr. Gent - Black Cherry Burl - Case.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 119
Top Bottom