Pause to reflect - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Vendor Forums > ExoticBlanks.com -corner of IAP!!
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Before this thread I was unaware that there was a website that caused that degree of a drop in business. Surprised.

It seems like you are venturing more into offering your own unique pen kits where I've tended to view you before as a reseller. Of course you'll do both. But I'm interested to see where that goes.

I love the service / support and your presence on the forums for all sorts of areas including marketing. Things like doing the videos Etc.

By the way, the last thought that would come to my mind is picking up the phone and calling you to chat. The phone is still best for lots of things but if I have a question, I'll email or message you. That lets you respond when you have time. Not on my time. If it's easier to talk about something on the phone you can just say so. Some people like to talk because they like to talk! I'm a preacher so I do a fair amount of talking. ;-)

Some other comments - like others, I like the free blanks!

I did myself asking what keeps exotics from being the only place I want to shop.

It's impossible for you to have every product and different people and markets want different things. Other places will sometimes come out with stuff first. But you are the only place I know of that has the best kits from all the places.

Then of course their is stock. You obviously order big quantities and big expense and stuff is not always available etc. But, if I need it I'm going to get it where I can. Case in point gun metal bolt actions right now. Out most places. Not your fault but I need them and will order when I can.

Idea: if I had some idea when a product might be back in stock, I would sometimes be more inclined to wait. The notification system is great. I'm not sure how accurate it is but csusa gives an estimate on restocking a product.

The other thing is that I will almost always be lured away by a free shipping sale or offer. I don't ask for it not expect it. And realize that your margins are not great.

But I would encourage you to continue to ask the question: is there any price point that It would become feasible to offer free shipping? Some have $150, could be $200, $250.. Just a thought.

Keep up the good work.
Dan Masshardt is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

We have learned a lot, since starting ExoticBlanks.

My initial question, "What is so magical about TEN kits?" So we made our first discount occur at 7. NOW, we realize pen kits are packaged in TENS. An order for TEN or a multiple thereof is EASY to "pick and fill". But, we allow "mix and match", resulting in an order for 25 kits, consisting of 13 different plating combinations--2 each. BUT this earns the high discount--so the apparent $200+ order is actually low profit, due to allowing the Mix.

Yes, I am working on getting some pens made. My hope is to have SOME pens where we do have greater margin AND a truly unique product that we can help the penmaker market!! If this succeeds, we certainly WILL look at reduced or free freight. (You may or may not know that the "big boys" can get from 30-60% OFF of freight charges from FedEx and UPS. So, when they tell you they are only charging the normal retail price---that represents a profit center that we can only drool over!!) But, maybe someday we can get some of those discounts---right now we are singlehandedly saving your Postal Service from bankruptcy

Lots more we could discuss, but there are another couple dozen orders that need to go out tonight!!!

And for that I THANK YOU ALL!!!!
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads