New video on YouTube

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Just posted a new video you might enjoy.
Squaring a pen blank with a pen mill CAN break the blank. Especially true if you are using "hand-made" polyresin or alumilite blanks. Trust me, I blew up many before changing my process.

Now, I turn the pen to near finished diameter. THEN, take if off the mandrel and use a sanding device to sand the ends square (referencing the brass tube). I have been asked, several times, to show how my "sandpaper squaring device" is made. So, here is the YouTube that goes from start to finish. Hope you enjoy and your comments and critiques are always invited!! Thanks, Ed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzQ2Gla41dU

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks for the video! I think I have a spare 1"x8tpi nut somewhere out in the shop....

In Wisconsin, we are fortunate to still have hardware stores that recognize the need of farmers to repair their equipment. There are several locally that sell that nut, for under fifty cents each!!

I expect that Lowe's and Home Depot (national chains) are NOT among them. Would you LIKE Exotics to sell them?

brownsfn2

Ed - Did you mention what grit the sandpaper was in the video? Just curious. I used to do this in the past a slightly different way that did not allow for me to move the sand paper which meant I did not get much use out of it. :)

I am going to try this again in the near future. Thanks.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ed - Did you mention what grit the sandpaper was in the video? Just curious. I used to do this in the past a slightly different way that did not allow for me to move the sand paper which meant I did not get much use out of it. :)

I am going to try this again in the near future. Thanks.

No, I didn't say what grit.

I use 150-360 range, but I am not in a hurry, and I like the control of looking once in a while to see how far I have left to get to the brass tube.

In truth, with 240 or higher, I don't really have to look. I can feel the difference when I am coming in contact with the brass tube.

Thanks for the question!!
Hope that helps!!

Ed

jsolie

That would actually be very handy! I've lived in my area for nearly 25 years and there used to be a hardware store that would carry nuts and bolts of that size. They would sell parts like that by the pound. Unfortunately, they haven't been around for over 15 years.

Thanks for the video! I think I have a spare 1"x8tpi nut somewhere out in the shop....

In Wisconsin, we are fortunate to still have hardware stores that recognize the need of farmers to repair their equipment. There are several locally that sell that nut, for under fifty cents each!!

I expect that Lowe's and Home Depot (national chains) are NOT among them. Would you LIKE Exotics to sell them?

Old Codger

Thanks Ed! I've been looking for a different approach to using the standard PSI pen mill... I've ruined more pen blanks than I like to mention using it which causes chipping and destruction of the pen blank no matter how careful or how well sharp the pen mill head is... I'm certainly going to try your method and think it's the only way to protect your exotic woods and pen blanks from destruction by pen mills... Don't get me wrong, pen mills DO work, but also destroy pen blanks more than they should... Let's hear from other pen turners... Thanks and safe turning to all!

workinforwood

Interesting...I only ever had issues with burls vs endmills. I don't make many pens anymore, and with so many kits available I just use my metal lathe and a parting tool to square the ends of a blank.

Tell you what though...I visited an auction recently and was able to view everything with the actual owner of the machines. We talked for a good 90 min about certain machinery he had...he was retiring from building couplings for military aircraft, so everything was extreme precision. One of the most common machines he had was a speed lathe. I was not familiar with such a machine before, but if I was making tons of turnings, pens, duck calls etc, I would consider a speed lathe a priority need to own item!! They are not large machines, in fact look more like a bowl turning lathe. Just a motor, 5c collet and very small tooling table. The collets speed chuck using the air compressor. So, set pen rod into collet, press button and instantly tight...turn dial and trim the blank square, hit button out falls part. Although it's more manual than automated he was barrel trimming 45 couplings a minute!! The same machines were also used for polishing...separate row of identical machine. Install part, Polish, flip, Polish, done. Only a fool polishes parts with a polishing wheel...his quote...he proved that to me quickly!! I was unable to bid high enough to purchase any of his equipment but the education he gave me was invaluable and I am certainly planning some changes on my own production line, as my eyes were very much opened. In business there's the right way and the expensive way.

So...getting back to endmills, bushings, other misculanios pen related stuff...I wish when I began I was more educated. On the pen supply side of things, what I am saying isn't really good for business, but on the customer/pen maker business side of things, people need to sit down and do the math!! Let's say there's 40 pen kits...all are different bushings, different endmills different drill bits.
So I buy a drill bit one at a time..$8-10 ea...over time I don't notice but I spent $400 on drill bits that I coulda bought a metric and a standard box set of good quality for $80 or less.
I need end mils...how much is that...$10? If there's 15-20 sizes, I am $150-200 invested into a tool that will wear out and I can't sharpen.
Bushings? $5-10 ea times 30-40? $200-300 perhaps over time and they wear out too.

Why...I coulda bought a junky hf metal lathe for $250 that will drill, mill, turn, make bushings, etc....mind you I would prefer a better metal lathe...but you get the point. Just a metal lathe, had turning tools and some drill bits is an entire pen making company.

Ok...starting to ramble now :)

Top Bottom