New video, new technique

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, a new COMBINATION of techniques!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB-2wal-rRA&feature=youtu.be

This vid uses the advantages of turning between centers to reduce the chance of chip out in your hand-made resin blanks. By using two 60 degree centers to hold the blank (with conventional bushings), the blank can stop spinning if "chip out" technique is applied. While it can be overcome by tightening the tailstock, I think this technique, if used judiciously, can eliminate "blowouts".

Comments welcome!!!!

Good to be back to turning--the new setup for the camera still wiggles a little and I had to edit out sections where my head came between the camera and the blank--so future vids will use a little different setup--but this is "getting back on the bike"!!

Thanks for any input,
Ed

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Great video! I'm not concerned about the slight wiggles, etc., but thought the video was most useful. I'm interested in TBC. I'm considering a 60 degree live action center by WC. I'm curious what you used in the headstock. Could you share this, please?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The headstock is using a cheap dead center, MT2.

We will have these available soon, meanwhile an internet search turns up possibilities in many price categories---I figured this was NOT rocket science, so I chose CHEAP--Works great.

Just checked, the one I used is not shown, but there are a bunch available from Amazon in the $10-15 (including shipping) range.

Last edited:

magpens

If you have a headstock chuck you have a lot of choices for a straight-sided dead center.

I have even used a screw extractor like the one on the left in this picture

8619454.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom