Monteverde feedback

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

I have tried the Monteverde refills and I think...

• ...they are a waste of money. (please PM me if there is an option you prefer)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
We have now had the Monteverde refills and inks for about 3 months (one calendar quarter). We have sold some!!

So, if you have tried it (from us or any other reputable source), please reply to the survey.

If you have NOT tried it, we suggest starting with the C133 (Medium point refill for the "Cross-like" pens. Thanks for your honest opinions!!

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I like them better than stock, even better than Cross. I will only buy MV unless a client wants Cross.

Carl Fisher

I like the MV refills better than kit and private reserve but they are a bit more pricey than private reserve for only a minor gain.

I think when it comes to Cross type refills, we really can only get so good before you just reach the limits of the design and ink.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Just an observation, not meant to be argumentative:

When I did shows, a chrome slimline was at least a $5 kit. I sold the pens around $20 and they wrote "OK".

Now, a chrome slimline is under $2. Add a $1.50 refill (that will write nicely) and it is a much EASIER sale at $20. Throw away the centerband and customize the profile, it can easily be fashioned into a $35 pen. That would give you a TEN TIME return on the $3.50 cost.

Pays the booth fee a lot faster!

It IS what I would be doing, now.

FWIW,
Ed

Ed McDonnell

I've been very pleased with MV refills. I haven't had a bad one yet. It's what I put in pens and what I recommend as replacements.

Sometimes the kits refills aren't bad and I will use them in the pens I leave laying around the house / shop for note taking and stuff. The ones that don't write right get tossed.

My personal experience with private reserve is mixed. The winner / loser ratio seems a little better than with the kit refills. But it wasn't as good as I would like it. Not good enough for me to pay for it as an upgrade. In the past I had problems with private reserve fountain carts being significantly under filled. At least with them I could tell. I have no way of knowing how much ink is in a private reserve "cross type" refill, but I would always wonder.

Ed

Quality Pen

When it comes to Cross... I tried the "best". Monte Verde were said to be up there when it comes to Cross, but so many people said that they werent worth the cost -- there was no noticeable difference.

So I tried it because, like many others, I realize the small cost of ink is trivial compared to the writing experience of a PEN.

My conclusion? I couldn't tell any difference. I could tell a difference if I wrote on good paper or not. But when it comes to Cross style ink... there doesn't seem to be much difference between stock and Monte Verde.

Maybe I need to write more on a variety of papers, but the Monte Verde's just don't justify it. Oh and by the way Ed nice price! I paid over a dollar more for a 2-pack.

I do, however, like the carded refills...

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
We have 28 replies, but 60% have not tried the refills. SO, if you have used them, your input is "statistically significant"!!

Please give us your opinions!!

Thanks!!

Ed & Dawn

SteveG

Ihave determined that there is NO Holy Grail for "Cross style". I see little difference between PR and Monerverde, so woul offer either if selling a pen that uses Cross style. The stock refill is just something to throw away due to highly variable results.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Do you plan to share the results at the end Ed?

That is ALWAYS a good question, and I forget to say much about it.

My "theory" is that people MAY change their vote or opinion on a poll, if they know they are in the minority (or, for some the majority). So, you get the most accurate reading by not letting people know what the consensus is before they vote.

HOWEVER, once the poll runs it's course, the IAP software will display the results to all who look. This can be avoided, but I don't intentionally check that box. So, yes the results of my questions will, be seen, when the poll is closed. IF that is NOT the case, remind me and I will publish the results.

conandy

monteverde refills for cross

I just turned my very first pens, and ordered 4 trial Monteverde "liquid" refills for Cross-style pens. I got 4 colors to try out, in addition to my need to get a feel for how well they wrote.

I was very disappointed. One of the refills (purple) writes pretty nicely, one (blue) writes decent, but the other two (green, blue-black) write very dry and scratchy. I put down at least two pages of handwriting with each one before making a final judgement, in case they needed breaking in. They never improved.

I have to say I really don't like ballpoints, and was in search of something that writes with more of a gel or rollerball feel for the cross-style pens. I was hoping the MV refills would do the trick, but no such luck.

I actually like the Cross branded refills best, so far. Blue medium points from Cross actually felt smoother and laid down the nicest line of all.

My experience thus far is such that I am seriously considering NOT turning any more pens that take Cross-style refills, especially when the variety available for Parker-style refills is so amazing.

TonyL

I don't use any of the stock refills on any of my pens; I give them to a fellow penturner. I haven't found a Cross-type that I like. I actually found the stock Cross style to leak less than the Cross and Montverde. I now replace the refill with Cross or Montverde, but include the original refill with the pen. Unless selling, I make Parker style and RBs. I buy the Schmidt 9000 s from one of our vendors. I would like to return to making the Cross style pens, but haven't found a decent refill.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Just last Saturday Bob Jackson did a demo for the Ohio Chapter and he had I believe 12 pens with "Stock", "Private Reserve" and "Monteverde" inks. 4 styles, 3 inks I believe.

While no poll was taken, I believe the clear concensus was that the Private Reserve much better than the Stock, and the Monteverde was better than the Private Reserve, and worth the minimal cost.

This also was my opinion. Previously, I had experience only with the Private Reserve.

vakmere

I'm a little late on this one but I use Monteverdi Cross style refills exclusively on my twist pens. Better all around ink and feel to the writing experience. Yes they cost more but so does a better restaurant compared to McDonalds.
The Monteverdi Parker style refills I dont care for. For that I'll use the real Parker Quink or Gel. ON THAT NOTE if anyone reads this, if I know I will use the real Parker ink I remove another 1/32 of an inch from the blank with tube in it. If I dont the refill will not protrude far enough out of the front end. It not only looks bad it is annoying to write with. Just my rule of thumb.
Measure it, the Parker type is longer than the Parker Quink.

Last edited:

TonyL

I gotta tell you (all). I bought the Montv and the cross and used them for at least 100 pens, and I am beginning to like the stock ones. I don't get it. I am only talking about the Cross-type.

vakmere

I gotta tell you (all). I bought the Montv and the cross and used them for at least 100 pens, and I am beginning to like the stock ones. I don't get it. I am only talking about the Cross-type.

In my case its not what I like or what is cheaper but feedback from those I have given and sold to like the Monteverdi medium point. They never heard of Monteverdi nor would know how to even spell it but all but have said the Montv is smooth. I like them over the ones that come with the kits that feel scratchy and too fine point.
I used to own a 2011 Buick Lacrosse. Looked great but I had better rides in a golf cart. Traded it in for a 2014 Chrysler 300C. Better ride.....very smooth, both are cars.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'm a little late on this one but I use Monteverdi Cross style refills exclusively on my twist pens. Better all around ink and feel to the writing experience. Yes they cost more but so does a better restaurant compared to McDonalds.
The Monteverdi Parker style refills I dont care for. For that I'll use the real Parker Quink or Gel. ON THAT NOTE if anyone reads this, if I know I will use the real Parker ink I remove another 1/32 of an inch from the blank with tube in it. If I dont the refill will not protrude far enough out of the front end. It not only looks bad it is annoying to write with. Just my rule of thumb.
I can't imagine that the Parker Quink writes better than the Schmidt easyFlow 9000 which doesn't require a pen modification to use with most kits. Maybe you can educate me on why you have chosen that route---I'm not quarling with your choice but I am curious?

vakmere

I can't imagine that the Parker Quink writes better than the Schmidt easyFlow 9000 which doesn't require a pen modification to use with most kits. Maybe you can educate me on why you have chosen that route---I'm not quarling with your choice but I am curious?

Sure. The Parker Quink doesn't write better than the Schmidt easyFlow 9000, they have different viscosities. For the Parker ball point refill I found the ink flow better than the Parker type in my trials. The Shcmidt 9000 has nice flow but a little to fast gliding over paper. A little to rollerball like. I prefer just a little and I mean a little drag or restriction when I write. The 9000 ink flows well, has nice dark lines, and does not seem to dry out after a few minutes of non use but the trade off is the old ball point feel. The Parker gel and the Schmidt 9000 are, IMO, very similar in glide and writes immediately after a period of sitting. I prefer a medium point. I have purchased the 9000 in a 2 pack to try and didnt like that fast ink as a ball point. The mod I refered to is acurate. Parker type is a smidge longer than a real Parker. (found that out after making a Sierra click). Is one better than the other? I would not say that however each has it's place and the user (not pen maker) would have a say in which feels better in his/her hand.
I could say the same for rollerball. I have swapped out the Schmidt 5888 with a Pilot G2-10 refill and some (like my girlfriend) like the bolder line it made. Both are excellent however it depends on the type of line you want to have on your document. Rollerball will bleed thru on some paper which is not desriable (as pointed out by my boss who wanted me to stop using that JrGent) :frown: He's jealous because I didn't make him one.
Hope I said that right....:)

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Ed,

What were the results? Care to make them public?

I usually check the option that makes it public when the poll closes. Obviously, I did NOT this time---sorry:
..they are GREAT!!
bar2-l.gif
bar2.gif
bar2-r.gif
clear.gif
7 21.21%
..they are better than the "stock", but I'd say "GOOD"
bar3-l.gif
bar3.gif
bar3-r.gif
clear.gif
5 15.15%
...they are no better than the stock
bar4-l.gif
bar4.gif
bar4-r.gif
clear.gif
2 6.06%
...they are a waste of money. (please PM me if there is an option you prefer)
bar5-l.gif
bar5.gif
bar5-r.gif
clear.gif
0 0%
Have'nt tried them!
bar6-l.gif
bar6.gif
bar6-r.gif
clear.gif
19 57.58%

Rather disappointing, under 40 replies and over half have not tried them.

Last edited:

Quality Pen

That could very well be because there is no good repeating for a leading cross refill. So people don't buy them. I still have a Monte Verde cross and another refill to go...but i can't see buying more of that brand.

I can always learn though. Are there differences in their products? Like the p900 be easy flow 9000 or Didge Intrepid vs viper.

MonteVerde Refills

I purchased two MonteVerde refills to replace kit cross type refills. I gave one to my wife and sold one to a customer to see how they performed.
I haven't heard from the customer yet but my wife's leaks. It wrote better than the kit refill but not to long after she started using it it started leaking. Anyone else have this problem?:mad:

vakmere

I purchased two MonteVerde refills to replace kit cross type refills. I gave one to my wife and sold one to a customer to see how they performed.
I haven't heard from the customer yet but my wife's leaks. It wrote better than the kit refill but not to long after she started using it it started leaking. Anyone else have this problem?:mad:

My Monteverdis have not leaked but thats not saying the one you bought may be a bad one. How bad did it leak and where did it leak out of?

It leaks at the tip, mostly when beginning to write, but today it made spots several time while writing and got on her fingers. Would hate to think of paying around $3.00 and find out you are better off with kit refills.:frown:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
A couple of factors to consider: In Texas, was the pen left in a car in a hot parking lot for several hours? This will thin the ink and can lead to leakage.

Is the point physically damaged?

In any event, we tried to look up your address to send you a couple replacements. You are not in our records as having ordered anything from us for the past 18 months (since we have had this website and database). Our prices for these refills are just under $2, so the $3 you quote leads me to believe you bought it from a retail source. May want to take it back there and see if they will replace it.

Sorry you have had a bad experience!!

It has never been out of the house which is kept at around 74 degrees.

Can't say for sure it isn't damaged but it shouldn't be since it has never been dropped.

I bought them From Craft Supplies USA. They were $5.75 for a two pack.

I am anxious to see what the customer's experience has been.

I appreciate your comments.

TonyL

I really haven't been impressed with any Cross-type refill. My first choice is MV, followed, by Cross, but I am getting to like the stock refill the best. I found them to leak less. On the Parker style side. I like the S9000M, but have been using the Fisher Space for a straight week, and love it.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I really haven't been impressed with any Cross-type refill. My first choice is MV, followed, by Cross, but I am getting to like the stock refill the best. I found them to leak less. On the Parker style side. I like the S9000M, but have been using the Fisher Space for a straight week, and love it.

I offered them for awhile and got no takers...I thought they'd fly out the door. A little high priced I think and unless you're writing upside down a lot, not a big advantage.

TonyL

I just like the way they write: smooth, just enough feedback, no leaks, etc. I haven't tried any of the tricks with them LOL. I can see folks finding it hard to justify the additional expense.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'm sure there are better than stock refills for 7mm cross style pens but I have not really found one good enough to get me excited.

Any that write well enough to make a change are iffy because if abody forgets to retract it there can be something added to the shirt pocket that doesn't make them happy.

vakmere

In our quest to make the 'perfect' pen and search for that great ink, its the ink that makes the pen. That is the tire on the road so to speak. I would think we have all invested in buying different refills to see what works best and the jury may be out on which one it is. Out of the millions of refills that come off an assembly line there are bound to be a few duds, some get by the QC guy, and this fellow with the leaky refill may have got one (or two). I have also. I'm sure CSUSA will take care of this fellow.

I hadn't even thought of trying to get it replaced and I probably could. I just wanted to find out if this might be a problem with this refill. I replaced my wife's leaky one with a new one. We will see if it has the same problem.

I appreciate every one's responses.:)

Top Bottom