Lever action problem diagnosis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I hesitate to post this, because it is VERY DIFFICULT to see.

My current working hypothesis is that there is "crud" on the inside of the nib. A very, very, very small spot, but the nib of the refill can hit it and it won't progress beyond that point.

We are trying to get a picture. Meanwhile if you have kits that don't work, inspect the inside of the nib, using a magnifier (10 x or greater) and an intense light. The "small blob" is clear (see through, no color)

If you KNOW you can't see well, and you have a pen that is not operating properly, take a small punch and run it through the nib several times, then see if your pen works. I think it will.

As I said, this is my current "working hypothesis". I am open to it being dis-proven or to other "working hypotheses". Bring em on, guys!!

THANKS

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Here are a couple pictures.

Looks like scratches on the lower right of nib--I think it is a blob of crud. This is interfering with the refill movement.

Additionally, I would remove the blob of wax(?) that is on the nib. That blob makes the clearance VERY tight. The spring is also directional, when it is on the refill correctly, it goes up to and touches, the large shoulder on the nib.

When all those things are right, I think the pen will work fine. Meanwhile, replacing the click mechanism MAY work, if you end up positioning your refill "just right". But I do NOT think the clicker is the source of the problems.

All opinions to the contrary are welcome----supporting evidence is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• lever nib.jpg
    lever nib.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 260
  • lever nib enhanced.jpg
    lever nib enhanced.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:

jallan

Hi Ed,
I had the same problem also and I just took a very small rounded file and went around the inside of the small hole in the nib very lightly and it worked fine after that. Hope that helps.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hi Ed,
I had the same problem also and I just took a very small rounded file and went around the inside of the small hole in the nib very lightly and it worked fine after that. Hope that helps.

I BELIEVE this will turn out to be the perfect solution. Waiting for more "bad" ones so we can confirm or destroy my hypothesis.

If you use a file, take care to apply pressure only when going "into" the nib. That way you should not disturb the plating on the end of the nib.

All help appreciated!!

Ed

Last edited:

carlconner

So ... I am still early in my learning process in all things pen turning. Please pardon what may be a common question.

This is a helpful thread on a specific problem on one pen kit. Do these types of threads get grouped together anywhere? Like into a "knowledge base" of threads on solving pen functioning problems?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
So ... I am still early in my learning process in all things pen turning. Please pardon what may be a common question.

This is a helpful thread on a specific problem on one pen kit. Do these types of threads get grouped together anywhere? Like into a "knowledge base" of threads on solving pen functioning problems?

The IAP has a library, which has a HUGE amount of good information.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/library.php

But the onus is on the penmaker. Keep your own "library" when you see things that are worth remembering.

If you have questions that are not answered, go to my video page on exoticblanks.com (click on the vid in my signature). You will find 70+ videos covering different turning topics, with a reasonably good index.

I will continue working on this and expect to develop a PDF library of "issues" that will also be on Exotics.

Hope this helps,
Ed

magpens

I made my first Berea lever action pen. No problems whatsoever ..... (yet ? .... :rolleyes: ).

Last edited:
Top Bottom