Kit request!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe S.

Do you guys plan to ever carry the Apollo Infinity RB/FP kits from PSI? It's a nice kit that I feel is missing on your site. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thank you Joe!!!

This starts a GREAT thread!! Chime in if you also would like to see this added to our product line!!!

SteveG

I made this kit a few years back,and it had plastic threads for BOTH M and F threads on the cap-to-barrel joint, and some ended up cross threading. Are these still pastic-plastic? Is there a cross thread problem?
Steve

Joe S.

I think the m threads are metal with a black coating (enamel?) with the insides being copper. I have one in the shop, I can double check later.

rsmith

I have one on my desk right now. Yes, the M are metal with black enamel coating (although they look plastic) with a plastic/delrin insert for F threads like in most capped pens (jr gent, etc...)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
THIS IS FANTASTIC!!!!

Please!!! If you have any thoughts on this pen---POST THEM!!!!

You all can determine how our product mix will evolve-----who is better qualified than our CUSTOMERS?!?!?!?!

So,as they said in the old Saturday Night sitcom: "Talk amongst yourselves"

We will be listening and cheering you on!!!

Ed & Dawn

ChrisN

How about more plating options? I love the long click pen, but you don't have all the high-end plating options (black Ti, gold Ti, rhodium), so I end up going to multiple sites to get what I need.

Joe S.

Just checked, the parts are made with a brass-like metal (proably brass) with the black coating. The only plastic is the F threads in the center band and the feed/housing in the fountain pen version.

Edit: rsmith beat me to it.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
How about more plating options? I love the long click pen, but you don't have all the high-end plating options (black Ti, gold Ti, rhodium), so I end up going to multiple sites to get what I need.

Definitely like the idea of this one!!

It SOUNDS good. But I have had the platinum Atrax in Rollerball and ballpoint and they sit. There are a couple Blackti-Platinum combos that sell well, but for the most part people SAY they want high end, then BUY chrome.

(This is not meant to belittle that---I sold mostly chrome at the shows, too--most customers don't care and with chrome you could maximize YOUR return on dollars invested, by having higher inventory turnover)

SteveG

Concerning the Apollo kit:

I have one on my desk right now. Yes, the M are metal with black enamel coating (although they look plastic) with a plastic/delrin insert for F threads like in most capped pens (jr gent, etc...)

Based on the input here I am going to go back to making the Apollo. It looks like I was wrong about the plastic/plastic threading. That power of suggestion probably lead me to cross threading the pen (It didn't have a chance, since I "knew" it was going to cross thread.) I have always liked the center band and over all large size of this pen. Plus, it is not too expensive!

Steve (With the unique ability to see plastic, when it is not really there.)

philb

Definitely like the idea of this one!!

It SOUNDS good. But I have had the platinum Atrax in Rollerball and ballpoint and they sit. There are a couple Blackti-Platinum combos that sell well, but for the most part people SAY they want high end, then BUY chrome.

(This is not meant to belittle that---I sold mostly chrome at the shows, too--most customers don't care and with chrome you could maximize YOUR return on dollars invested, by having higher inventory turnover)

I'd agree with this to a point, but I'd buy Rhodium plating on the long clicks and chrome on cigar/sierras to set the long-click up as a higher end pen!
If I couldn't get Rhodium though I'd really like Gold-Ti!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Maybe it is a question of translation, Yaro!! I promote the Atrax as being "no-bling" or having no ornamentation. This does not make it "low end", necessarily. If you put a beautiful burl or an exceptional piece of acrylic on a pen, the hardware does not have to "scream". That is what I try to say about the Atrax---yes you CAN make a low cost pen from that set of components, but the quality of the components is just as good as the Emperor or Imperial--the threads all work smoothly---the mark of a quality pen.

Isn't it???

yaroslaw

Yes it is, and sometimes Atraxes go for the bigger price than Gents.
But I remember something like "buy atrax ballpoint for a half price of Gent ballpoint" on your FB page.
Also, for me $20 per Atrax in TN/Rho makes very small sence since it is same or close to same price as JrGent Ti BUT:
1) Atrax is non-postable, even if I want to (in TN/Rho, and in gold/chrome it makes it really not cheap and desighn become questionable)
2) JrGent for the price has much better quality - better threads (actually, best from all kits), Schmidt convertor and superior nib (also schmidt, I suppose?).
3) JrGent has no bling at all but allows some customisations (changing custom finial, as usual practice)
4) JrGent also is a bit more versatile in desighn - straight barrels or curved barrels possible.

Same thing for Baron pens in TN|BlackTi - threads are even worse then on Atrax (cause they are "black enamel" which is not-not good), nib is taiwaneese. Cost - more than jrGent. Finial switchable, but JrGent has better desighn on finial. All in all - the price seems unreasonable for TN/BlackTi kits.

PR_Princess

Do you guys plan to ever carry the Apollo Infinity RB/FP kits from PSI? It's a nice kit that I feel is missing on your site. Thanks!

The Apollos are now up on the site. Thank you for the suggestion - and for starting this thread Joe!!:cool:

I'd agree with this to a point, but I'd buy Rhodium plating on the long clicks and chrome on cigar/sierras to set the long-click up as a higher end pen!
If I couldn't get Rhodium though I'd really like Gold-Ti!!!

I like the idea of Gold Ti LC too Phil! There is a long lead time, and a high MOQ on these so it probably wont happen right away. But lets see what we can do.

And Yaro...the extended cart you suggested should be in place. If I ever get to see your beautiful country, I look forward to sampling some of your lovely tea!

Joe S.

Since I kind of started this, I'm curious. Are the Apollos selling for you guys? I've gotten a few, but I know that's not much on your side of things.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The "pen kit" business is strange.

The old 80/20 business rule applies---80% of your sales come from less than 20% of the products. But, we want to continue to offer a wide selection, so even the large number of pens that sell very few units are worth having. The Apollos would fall into this category. Thank you for the suggestion and we are happy to continue to offer them!!! We have many other styles that sell fewer units!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

In spite of all the folks who purport to only sell the "high end" platings, our biggest sellers are chrome sierra and chrome cigars. Closely followed by the same pens in upgrade gold. When it comes to penmakers spending THEIR money, they choose DURABLE----and time-tested!!

Last edited:

longbeard

While we're on the subject, what about copper Jr. Retros and Blk Ti Jr. Retros?:rolleyes:
I can never think to ask you about this while we are discussing other highly important things on the phone.:wink: :biggrin:

Harry

Top Bottom