Jr Gent II (r)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Revised??

I learned tonight that the Jr. Gent II in Rhodium has been redesigned!!!

CSUSA's instructions have not been updated to reflect the change, so I doubt they are aware of it. For many years, you made the pen by unscrewing the top from the finial and pressing the coupler in the back of the body.

Tonight I got an email from a good customer, who has made LOTS of pens!! He said he could not get the coupler unscrewed on a couple rhodium rollerballs. So, I went to get a few kits and prepare them for him--we try to help. Well, I couldn't get the coupler apart. SO, I LOOKED INSIDE. The finial is now ONE PART--it is NOT threaded. You have to press on the finial rounded top to put it into the body tube.

This will make it a little more difficult to insert straight, but the removable part really served no other purpose---BUT if you don't KNOW it is not removable--IT CAN be a PAIN!!!

I will amend our instructions this weekend.

Thanks to the member who informed me of this change!!!!

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Quality Pen

Hi Ed,

Does this reflect just the new manufacturer of the Jr Gent II or the Dayacom version? Some folks may not be aware that CSUSA changed manufacturers which would cause further confusion!

Silverado

This will be a pain in the #ss when you try to switch from Rollerball to Fountain Pen on the fly at a Show. I guess a 3-4" wood screw will do the
trick.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This will be a pain in the #ss when you try to switch from Rollerball to Fountain Pen on the fly at a Show. I guess a 3-4" wood screw will do the
trick.

Quite true!! I guess the removable part DID serve some purpose.

Regarding who makes the pens--the bags are marked with woodturnerscatalog, made in Taiwan. Draw whatever conclusion you prefer.

Dan Masshardt

Hi Ed,

Does this reflect just the new manufacturer of the Jr Gent II or the Dayacom version? Some folks may not be aware that CSUSA changed manufacturers which would cause further confusion!

As far as I can tell the Jr 2 from causa is not made by dayacom
For the past year or two. There are several reasons for this
Conclusion. One being that dayacom always brands their bags etc. different refill as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Silverado

I just received a bunch of Black Ti. Jr. Gents and the end caps on these are also not threaded. Spring is not a issue because it comes loose in the packaging. Dan is correct in saying that these are not Dayacom Hardware.

Last edited:

Quality Pen

Hi Ed,

As far as I can tell the Jr 2 from causa is not made by dayacom
For the past year or two. There are several reasons for this
Conclusion. One being that dayacom always brands their bags etc. different refill as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
The Jr II from CSUSA, today, is definitely not Dayacom (they said this) but what was unknown (and probably not the case) was if Dayacom changed theirs as well. I have no reason to think so, and I imagine the reason it was changed was a cost-cutting measure.

PSNCO

I see that they have the Jr Gent II Apprentice and the Jr Gent II Artisan now.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/2/6696/Apprentice-Jr.-Gentlemens-II-Pen-Kit

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/2/5029/Artisan-Jr.-Gentlemens-II-Postable-Rollerball-Pen-Kit

Could that be the difference in the redesign?

They changed the bushings for the two different kits. The tube diameters are the same. Wonder if the tube lengths are the same? If different lengths, that can make some problems for blank makers.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
For rollerball and fountain pens, it is pretty easy to adapt to a longer tube (not so easy if the tube is too short. So, smart blank buyers will purchase the longest tubes and add a stronger spring for rollerball--no change needed for fountain pen.

(the difference in length is under one-quarter inch---NOT a significant design difference)

I BELIEVE the apprentice will be only 24 kt gold and chrome platings. The Artisan is the more expensive plating choices.

Last edited:
Top Bottom