Internationals BEWARE!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
With the strength of the US Dollar, we are often told by international customers how expensive our shipping has become. Since Exotics has charged only what we pay for shipping, there is not much we can do about the cost.

Cheer up, it is about to get a LOT worse!!

The new International postal rates are published. For one thing, there is no "on-line discount" shown, so I assume we will pay what the Postal Service lists as the postage.

The International Small flat rate (and it's derivative shapes and sizes) is now $34.00, up from $25. Medium Flat rate is $67 and large is $87.

Shipping to Canada is also increased: Small flat rate is now $25 (was $20), medium flat rate is $46 and Large flat rate is $60!!!

Although we appreciate ALL our customers, I truly expect our international business to fall off a cliff. To be honest, I don't blame them for shopping closer to home.

My only "persuasion" is from a Canadian customer who recently placed a large order and received a very light, large package. It contained all the laser kits he ordered and nothing else. He was concerned, so he wrote to us (Friday), we told him to look for the other box (a large flat rate) soon. Monday it arrived and he wrote to tell us how pleased he was with our creativity AND asked who packed the second package---there was no room for an additional tootsie roll!!

(I did it---I liked geometry!!)

So, we make use of whatever means are available to reduce your cost--but I'm afraid only large orders will be able to afford the new costs.

Time will tell!!

Thanks to ALL who choose to buy from Exotics!!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

My only "persuasion" is from a Canadian customer who recently placed a large order and received a very light, large package. It contained all the laser kits he ordered and nothing else. He was concerned, so he wrote to us (Friday), we told him to look for the other box (a large flat rate) soon. Monday it arrived and he wrote to tell us how pleased he was with our creativity AND asked who packed the second package---there was no room for an additional tootsie roll!!

(I did it---I liked geometry!!)

So, we make use of whatever means are available to reduce your cost--but I'm afraid only large orders will be able to afford the new costs.
Could you please clarify what you mean, Ed. . Maybe I am particularly dense tonight; ... also, I am Canadian, eh? . But I don't get your point.
Unless it is to encourage us stellar customers to place bigger orders ! :eek::biggrin:

Thanks Ed.

P.S. . It seems that the Large Flat Rate Box rate to Canada has not gone up, eh? ... and same for the MFRB (or perhaps a little drop, eh? )

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The order was way too large to fit in a large flat rate. So, the normal approach would be to put it all in one box and pay by weight. Instead I broke out the light stuff that took up room and sent it, by weight in one box--pretty cheap.

Then, we loaded the large flat with everything else and paid the "flat" rate on it.

Gross saving was about $40, close as I could guess.

But, yes, usually a small flat rate contains under $150 of merchandise, adding $25 in postage is significant.

The bigger the order, the less the freight is, percentage-wise. That is the same logic I use when I import from Asia---tens of thousands of dollars can absorb $1200 in freight. Small orders the freight is as much as the merchandise, resulting in 100% increase in cost, BEFORE Customs charges. Doesn't make much sense.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Would First Class be cheaper, if you didn't use flat rate boxes? Just an option...

First class is limited to 14 ounces. And, if you don't use a box, the machines will eat the envelope and everything in it. We tried, the customer thought we should absorb the loss, so we did and called it "cost of education". We rarely ship without a box any more.

stonepecker

Ed is a master when it comes to packing boxes.
I don't understand how he does it because I can never put everything back once I take it out of the box.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Would First Class be cheaper, if you didn't use flat rate boxes? Just an option...
Depends on the weight -First Class Up to about 2 pounds is cheaper than SFRB from 2 to 3 pounds it's about the same as SFRP and 3 to 4 pounds it's about the same as Medium Flat Rate Box...over 4 pounds can't be shipped first class international parcel.

So the answer to your question is some packages will go cheaper first class but you do lose tracking at the US border.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

First class is limited to 14 ounces. And, if you don't use a box, the machines will eat the envelope and everything in it. We tried, the customer thought we should absorb the loss, so we did and called it "cost of education". We rarely ship without a box any more.

Not first class international parcel, Ed.... 4 pounds is the limit. Pricing starts at $15.50 up to 2 pounds, goes to $24.50 from 2 to 3 pounds and $31 and change for 3 to 4 pounds. limit is 4 pounds just as for a SFRB.

PR_Princess

Andrew, that might have been the case before, but the USPS appears to be starting to close that door. With this last hike, the USPS increased PMI rates by an average of 10%, First Class International increased by a whopping 21.6%

I also will second what Smitty said. If the items are light weight enough (basically 2 pounds and under), First class is probably still cheaper than PMI. At 3 pounds it appears to be about a wash; heavier First Class International is actually MORE expensive than a small flat PMI. I say probably and appears as, the USPS used to to have basically two different pricing schedules for International rates - Canada and the rest of the world. With the new system however, there are now 8 different pricing schedules, with each country having it's own set of codes and corresponding rates.

I tried to test out a few packages at the USPS site to show the actual comparisons in the rates to various countries (Including Canada), but the international section was throwing an error code for me.:rolleyes:
I did find a 2016 USPS rate chart in PDF form however -

https://admin.govexec.com/media/gbc/docs/pdfs_edit/notice_cp2016-9.pdf

Leap to page 106, that is where International begins.

jaywood1207

Wow!! Combine the crappy dollar with the postage increase and it makes ordering out of the US prohibitive. It's an unfortunate situation that will affect all parties.

I noticed the price went up by about 20 cents for parcels from Canada to the US and wasn't to thrilled.

Last edited:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Prices rising, combined with the Canadian peso, will make it tough to order...I'm worried for the Parcel Pickup services at the border.

THey all expanded during the boom, so they're going to be hurting now...

But at least we know you're ready, if and when our dollar rebounds! :)

Last edited:

chriselle

Meh...business as usual, I don't have a choice other than bigger orders less often. Yen has been on the rise a bit so that's a wee bit of relief. I probably need another order soon....just waiting to see if those B+W checkered blanks are going to be back in stock anytime soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom