Ink question--please reply!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
We are happy to say we send out a LOT of fountain pen ink.

Dawn and I have discussed what effect the cold might have, but we have never had anyone complain or comment, so we "assume" the product is getting through ok.

Today, I received a VERY NICE note from a customer, with some Monteverde cartridges AND some Private Reserve cartridges that had leaked in transit. We always put ink in a ziplock, so in case it leaks it will not damage anything, the customer was duly impressed. OF COURSE, we will replace the ink. But it got us to wondering if this has happened before and we just don't hear about it.

Should we avoid shipping cartridges when it is under zero??

'Fess up, folks!!!! Is our ink making it to you in usable condition? OR, are you just pitching it when it freezes???

Thanks for any and all feedback--your comments WILL determine our future course of action.

Ed & Dawn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Ed - Why don't you toss a few samples of different inks in your freezer (in a plastic bag :wink:) and see what happens. I'm guessing they won't freeze. Heck, why should I guess. I'm going to go put some in my freezer now to see what happens.

You could even take them out after they get chilled down and kick them around the shop to simulate handling by USPS/UPS. If they can survive your freezer and a good kicking about, they should ship fine. Although you might also need to put them under a light vacuum to simulate lower air pressure they might experience during air shipping. :)

Ed

Mike Powell

I have received ball point ink from you in the cold, with no problems. But I dont think I will ever see under zero here in the houston area. Cold is 40s here.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I am interested in ALL feedback.

This particular situation was Wis to NorthDak---but it wasn't "killer cold" when we shipped.

I like the suggestion of the freezer and I WILL try it, but our freezer temp is around 10 above zero---it gets a lot colder outside. However, one would THINK the package is in a building--even unheated warehouses rarely get below 20 above.

But, this is why I asked. I can speculate, but if I learn no one has ever had that problem, until now---I'm willing to take that chance---one shipment in thousands???

OK.
Ed

1080Wayne

Some of us on rural routes get mail delivered to outdoor boxes , several miles from home . It may not get picked up for a day or two or three , especially if it is -40 . Yes , I have had cartridges freeze , and leak .

Mr Vic

Ed, I've left your ink in totes in the back of my pickup over night in freezing weather in order to get an early start to craft fairs. Other then waiting for them to thaw I have never had one burst. I also carry a bottle of Watermen (it was free) and when inverted it's been solid...I've just thaw and shake and keep on selling..

workinforwood

I have had kits arrive with ink that exploded. Like you said Ed, the freezer is no comparison to outside. We have had some incredible cold days and although an unseated warehouse is warmer than outside, the semi trailer is colder than outside. The trailer is very thin aluminum and tin just like a pop can and it is being subjected to far more wind chill than nature by traveling 70 mph on the road which super cools the air inside.
The solution...well there isn't really one. You can't really not ship, so packing separate in zip lock and praying is only answer. To re ship barely any vs the amounts not re shipped throughout the year far out weigh delaying the product.

stonepecker

What about a box inside a box? Something with packing peanuts for insulation?
I know that SpeeDee delivery warehouses are heated but sometimes they don't get their deliveries done till after 6pm.

Top Bottom