Ideas please!!! Input wanted!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Msy I suggest three.

1) Woods and finishes. I am learning (painfully) that a CA finish may not work on all woods or will work with difficulty. I am also learning that some woods, ebony and pink ivory, for example, require special care. A video along these lines would be very helpful.

2) Defects in finishes, clouding, cracking, coming off in chunks, etc.... What causes them and most impirtantly, how to prevent them.

3) Pen repair. This is a big topic. Disassembly tricks and tools, includind any special shop made tools. How to repair a blank with the defects shown above, if possible. When it is better to just chuck the blank between centers and "gently" turn off the wood and save the tube.

Hi Andy!!

I selected YOUR suggestion (to opine on the CA finish and various woods) because it is very clear and allows me to approach each issue, one at a time.

1) I would be happy to tell you what I have learned about woods. SOME of it is factual: for example, "oily" woods are harder to finish--cocobolo, bocote are the two that I think of immediately. HOW to finish them becomes a matter of OPINION. Yes, I have OPINIONS on numerous things related to penturning, but I try to stick to FACTS on IAP and in my vids. So, I CAN research what woods are oily and post a list and let you and other readers decide how YOU want to finish those woods. Russ Fairfield was (he has passed away) an authority on finishes---I will see what we can get permission to use, from him.

2) What causes the defects?? I don't think ANYONE KNOWS!! Again, there are lots of "well-informed theses" about moisture, temperature, wood density, wood movement, etc. NONE of these factors is within the control of the turner. So, to me (OPINION coming) I would abandon the CA finish:eek::eek::eek: I have experimented with Woodturners Finish and I like it, SO I have chosen to sell it on Exotics. As a result, my detractors will tell you I only endorse it because I sell it. Actually, the reverse is true--I SELECT the products I want to sell, based on my personal belief that it will work.
I also encourage you and others to TRY OTHER products. If you find one you think works, tell the IAP and we will see how it holds up in a couple years. The first year or two of CA finish, it looked good. NOW we are discovering the shortfalls.

3) Pen Repair!! This is a great topic!!! I will use it, at some point. But, if you abandon CA finishes and don't use oily or "easily cracked" wood---you will have far fewer pens to disassemble!!!

Thank you for your suggestions and please do NOT take offense that I used YOUR entry----think of it as a compliment to your organized approach!!!!

Now, off to decide what will be tonight's topic!!!

Thanks to ALL for the input and certainly, KEEP IT UP!!!
Ed

Last edited:
Sharpening a specific tool (bowl gouge, spindle gouge) free hand and with a jig.and how to use that tool. Teaching a specific technique ( CA finish, epoxy finish, how to use different jigs). Some kits are hard to understand for some turners, detailed video on how to turn and assemble. How to turn odd materials or assembling detailed laser inlays.

20-30 minute videos seem to be an even number even if there needs to be a couple parts.

Levi Woodard
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

PR_Princess

Gift Certificates have been emailed to this weeks winners - Harry and Ed D! Congrats Guys!!!!

Keep the ideas coming!!!!!

And guys, if you don't get the GC would you let me know please? Still figuring out the new software...not entirely sure what I'm doing....:redface::redface::redface:

longbeard

WooHooo! Thanks Ed and Dawn

Dawn, just checked e-mail, i received an email but just said "Profile is modified"
Had account info and such

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

Another ideas -

Can you make a video - or a couple - that will help us make money? :)

- I realize that that are market differences, but are there some blanks that just seem to go constantly and you've seen are perennial hot sellers? Show us what they are.

Is there some advice in choosing a pen style for a given blank - some blanks seem fun, others sophisticated etc. How do we choose a blank that will do justice to a high end kit?

Are there blanks that are inexpensive but really shine In the right kit? Help us out.

How about some marketing advice?

Maybe kind of a small thing, but I would live to see a video where you show is all the different pen cases and pouches that you sell. Tell is about the quality. Show us a couple different sized pens in each one.

As it relates to selling. How important might it be to include the right case wit a certain pen?

Thanks.

(The more we sell the more we'll be buying!)

Fordwakeman

Kitless pen.

make a video of what Taps and Dies used to make a basic kitless pen. Step by step making process. Simple tips to avoid buying more tools than you need when you are starting. What tools you are going to need to get started, tools that are nice to have,pitfalls to avoid. Rollerball or Fountain pens and what to consider before heading down this path. What would someone just starting to make these types of pens need to know.

thanks

southernclay

Blank Artists

I would love to see videos of the blank artists highlighting their process of making blanks if they are open to it. Gives them a chance to show off their skills and hopefully you sell more blanks. Seeing the process should give much more insight on the costs of the blanks as well

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ed, how about something on painting the tubes and reverse painting the blank. Ive seen some questions on this lately. What paint to use and how to apply it and why you want too.

P.S. - Ed and Dawn i think the two of you do a great job suppling us turners with everything we need from product to educating us.
No, im not sucking up for that gift card..........................ok maybe alittle:biggrin:

Gift certificate recipient for week 2

What will this week feature??? This was a CLUE!!!

Look for Sunday NIGHT at the movies, TONIGHT!!! It is 90% complete.

Thanks for your interest and your ideas!!!!

ed

terryf

Lots of vids on lathes and how to set them up etc but I have yet to find one that talks about setting up the most common Jet 1014 or similar and covering the different aspects of turning, sanding and finishing - belt speeds for various applications, setting your tailstock before locking the nut, how high or low to set the tool rest and why.
I love watching these vids so to those that make them, my appreciation! :)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
How about showing your skew sharpening method - I think you use a belt grinder, if I recall.

I am not a "world-class sharpener" by any means, Andrew!!

But our local AAW had a guy from Sorby demonstrate last meeting. They have a new sharpening system that looks like a sander (2" belt) with great adjusting of the angles, etc. Seemed like a great tool---just a little over $500:eek::eek::eek: I am working on how to make my little belt sander equally versatile. IF I succeed, I will show how I did it.

(Mine is NOT $500!!!)

edstreet

what belt sander do you have?

How about showing your skew sharpening method - I think you use a belt grinder, if I recall.

I am not a "world-class sharpener" by any means, Andrew!!

But our local AAW had a guy from Sorby demonstrate last meeting. They have a new sharpening system that looks like a sander (2" belt) with great adjusting of the angles, etc. Seemed like a great tool---just a little over $500:eek::eek::eek: I am working on how to make my little belt sander equally versatile. IF I succeed, I will show how I did it.

(Mine is NOT $500!!!)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The Sorby demo suggests a 15degree for the skew. It appears to me that I can do that with mine, but it would need some "indexing" to be a repetitive angle. For over $400 difference, I can spend a fair amount of "thinking time"!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

edstreet

The Sorby demo suggests a 15degree for the skew. It appears to me that I can do that with mine, but it would need some "indexing" to be a repetitive angle. For over $400 difference, I can spend a fair amount of "thinking time"!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

even if the table did not yield the angle you wanted you could always put a wedge block on the table to give you the angle needed.

20-40 degree's seems to be most common for skews. I am curious if that 15 degree is per side which would yield 30 degree's overall. There are a great number of mods available for the 1" belt units :)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Actually, Ed the angle works in the other direction. The 15 degree would result in a 150 degree angle on the blade. (30 degrees off of 180).

yaroslaw

Ed, I'd suggest making less general pen-turner videos, more connected to the products you sell.
Sharpening tools is not as good as it sounds, as not much your actual clients will benefit from it because of too much variety - some people have carbide, some work with a skew, some with gouges, some with scrapers; some have bench grinder, some have Tormak, some belt grinders, some (like me) - different hand stones and hones. So, sharpening a skew on a belt grinder for me is only of general interest, I'll probably will never use that knowledge in practice. And there is a TON of different sharpening videos out there (every woodturner DVD starts with sharpening).

I like the idea of doing kitless series - as you sell a lot of products for kitless. Though, I'd suggest you to have a bit more of them - you have blanks, clips, some specific kitless stuff, but not nibs! So anyone who wants to try kitless should go find another supplier (and than, pay for shipment once more and stuff).

I really like your videos on specific products with some tricks you use.

I would vote for "marketing" video. What colors sells better for different groups of people (different sex, age, income level, venue - jewelery/knife/collector pen show), how to promote pens to sell them for higher prices/sell high priced pens, how to justify higher price of pens from some materials, how to answer questions "is it real stone?" on TruStone etc.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks Yaro!!

I probably WILL do a marketing vid at some time. But I will be VERY interested to see how much of it will be pertinent to YOUR market. There are SOME regional differences in taste, here in the USA----I would expect the Ukraine to be different.

edstreet

Ed, I'd suggest making less general pen-turner videos, more connected to the products you sell.
Sharpening tools is not as good as it sounds, as not much your actual clients will benefit from it because of too much variety - some people have carbide, some work with a skew, some with gouges, some with scrapers; some have bench grinder, some have Tormak, some belt grinders, some (like me) - different hand stones and hones. So, sharpening a skew on a belt grinder for me is only of general interest, I'll probably will never use that knowledge in practice. And there is a TON of different sharpening videos out there (every woodturner DVD starts with sharpening).

I like the idea of doing kitless series - as you sell a lot of products for kitless. Though, I'd suggest you to have a bit more of them - you have blanks, clips, some specific kitless stuff, but not nibs! So anyone who wants to try kitless should go find another supplier (and than, pay for shipment once more and stuff).

I really like your videos on specific products with some tricks you use.

I would vote for "marketing" video. What colors sells better for different groups of people (different sex, age, income level, venue - jewelery/knife/collector pen show), how to promote pens to sell them for higher prices/sell high priced pens, how to justify higher price of pens from some materials, how to answer questions "is it real stone?" on TruStone etc.

Actually this is not 100% correct.

You can place orders via exotics website and buy all materials you need to make custom pens with. There is rollerball nibs and fountain pen nibs they list. Also another misconception that I need to clear up is not all custom pens are fountain pens. Many are pencils, rollerballs, ball point and various other types.

As for sharpening goes yes you could do a video detailing many things on sharpening as it would apply to every method available to sharpen. This is the #1 key problem that most have with sharpening to btw.

jsolie

I think it would be interesting to see something on drilling blanks. Brad point vs. twist bit and angle of tip, perhaps. Drill press vs. on lathe. I use a drill press and haven't ruined any blanks lately, but I always get concerned when drilling a round blank.

longbeard

Hi Ed
When im looking at the "sierra style" pens, its a little confusing, maybe showing us some different ones and the difference between them. Also whats compatible with the sierra tubes.

Last edited:

ossaguy

Hi Ed,

I'd like to see a demo of "The toothpick trick",for the Vertex pen,so if it's dropped it doesn't break the click mechanism.I have read of the fix here on the IAP,but am having a hard time picturing in my mind how it's done correctly.

I just bought some Stratus pens from you,and they say that the clicks are the same as the Vertex,so if there is a trick to improving them,I'd like to do it.

I wish PSI would do it before shipping them to resellers/customers,or request the factory to do it.

A how-to video would be awesome!

thanks,
Steve

edicehouse

I think one big thing us, the clients of exotics should do is support his videos. Like them, share them, post a quick comment. If for 5 weeks they get a total of 5 views, it will not be worth it for Ed & Dawn to make them if no one goes. Sure it is true you may not "get" anything out of a video he posts, but the next one you may get 1 thing, then the next 2, and one day something you have no idea how to do.

Rob73

I always watch ed's videos and I agree with you. However, long as he writes a good title/description and links to his website it will be well worth his time investment. Google will see this as content that is relevant to his websites subject matter thus improving his authority on that subject and helping his ranking. Course if everyone 'likes' it and shares it that will boost his social authority and help him even more :)

I think one big thing us, the clients of exotics should do is support his videos. Like them, share them, post a quick comment. If for 5 weeks they get a total of 5 views, it will not be worth it for Ed & Dawn to make them if no one goes. Sure it is true you may not "get" anything out of a video he posts, but the next one you may get 1 thing, then the next 2, and one day something you have no idea how to do.

lyonsacc

Ed,

Would love to see was to a video on the Cartridge Rollerball System by Schmidt that you sell. Would love to have the color options of fountain pen inks in a rollerball. Your description mentions "chasing the threads" with a tap. I have no idea what that means or how to do it.

Thanks,
Dave

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Vid is complete--now rendering, then will have to upload--I hope a half hour should do it!! Sorry, there were 8 pens that had to be made for this one. And a lot is still on the "editing room floor".

May have a mid week addition---just pics of the pen blanks compared and the vid of them revolving, so you can see what they all look like.

Back to minding the vid!!

Ed

Top Bottom