Gunmetal Plating Durability

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I have recently purchased the Virage Kits in Gunmetal to evaluate their suitability for my lineup of pen offerings. It looks good, but I wonder about the durability over the long haul. The Berea site does not include this plating in their listing of durability ratings. I recall a few years back that gunmetal did not have a very good rep, in general, as a long lasting plating. Can anyone provide some current durability evaluations?

Steve Guzy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hi Steven!!

I have requested this information from Berea, after reading your question.
(You probably already know this is a new plating option for Berea--about the last six months)

I will let you know their response--probably tomorrow---it is late in the day, today.

Good question---I'll be interested in the reply, as well!!

Ed

sbwertz

All I know is that I have a gunmetal slim carry pen that has been in my purse for almost 3 years and still looks pretty darned good. It is in a side pouch with nail clippers, flash drives, etc. and is a little scratched now, but the finish isn't wearing off at all.

Last edited:

longbeard

I have done several gun metal finish virages and GM is my second choice of platng behind blk ti plating.
Ive carried a GM finish cigar in my right front pants pocket beside my pocket knife for several months, held up very well.
IMG_20130918_210150.jpg

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I did receive an answer from Berea, stating that they anticipate the durability of the gunmetal plating will be nearly the same as chrome.

I hasten to add, not all manufacturers are created equal--while I would expect gunmetal to be durable, if you have one wear off instantly, check to see who made it. Those who make marginal products do NOT display their names prominently on the product.

FWIW,
Ed

SteveG

Thanks for the response. I would expect that the answer may well be different from each manufacturer, and is why I asked specifically about the Berea product.
Steve

Top Bottom