Fountain pen converters "inspected"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
In another thread, TonyL correctly points out that the K5 converter does not fit easily into the Jr. Aaron.

When we became aware of this (some time ago), we ordered converters from Dayacom--those are still in production. However, we tried several other alternatives as well.

We found that the K5 is a "stepped" design, at the metal reinforcement. This "step" is what does not fit easily through the nib coupler. The quick answer is the Monteverde converter, which is not "stepped" in design and fits with clearance to spare.

My initial reaction, when this was brought to my attention, was to suggest filing the inside of that coupler, so the clearance would increase. Upon further investigation, that coupler is threaded, so I believe this solution is "not optimal" (easily screwed up, so not the best choice).

The problem seems to be isolated to only the junior series pens using the #6 nib. So, for those pens, watch that your converter is smooth, not stepped, where the metal band is located.

I will provide some links to the converters that work, later today.

Like most modifications to pen parts, the #6 nib advantage has yielded an unexpected disadvantage. But, there are LOTS of converters, so this problem is NOT huge.

Thanks for reading!!
Ed & Dawn

Monteverde converter

Last edited:

SteveG

Ed, thanks for investigating this issue...

Think of how many of us would have to go thru the same process, perhaps with needing to order an assortment of converters, to sort out what works/does not work. Here, we have the answer...link coming soon. Nice job!:biggrin:

Top Bottom