First Vid in a long time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
AND, I still have a sore throat, so this one has almost NO talking!!!

I will be VERY interested in feedback, PLEASE!!!

The video was motivated by an email telling me 2 blanks "blew up". I am always amused at this terminology--sounds like the turner had nothing to do with it.

When I started turning plastics in mid 1990's, I blew up no fewer than two dozen plastic blanks before my first success. It never occurred to me to blame the material--I did not know of anyone else turning plastic, so I expected to have misfires before success!! The instructions that came with the material counseled slow RPM and a scraper (exactly the opposite of what eventually worked for me).

So, I hope those who watch and LISTEN TO this video will learn something about turning plastic. The material talks to you, the LESS you HEAR, the better your turning is going!!!

PLEASE comment---if this is a good way to show techniques, it is sure a lot easier than thinking up 10 minutes of "inspired speech" about turning!!!

THANKS,

Ed

Link will be posted when it is up on YouTube.
You Tube says it will be ready about 10:15 Central time, located here: https://youtu.be/shs6xUUcqaM
It is now "up".

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Ed; Very nice video! I use a sanding jig rather than a pen mill to true up blanks, so I just knock off the corners with the sanding disk. It is is all about technique and sharp tools!

On a separate note, look for a "CNC center" on MSC or McMaster-Carr. These have a small 60° center with an extended point. Good but STICKER SHOCK AHEAD!!

stonepecker

Ed....Sorry to hear you are sick.....maybe a little "honey" in the coffee? Hope your sore throat gets better.

Interesting video. Hearing the lathe noise did make a difference in this one.
Missed your 'words of wisdom'. Get better soon.

Or maybe put the lovely Dawn on the lathe.

campzeke

Good video Ed. The tools told a great story.

I have turned quite a few of these blanks and agree with you, sharp tools, high speed and light cuts. I use a 16mm round carbide tool at 24~2500 RPM and get very clean cuts and ribbons all the way across. I have chipped a few .... usually when I get too aggressive.

Ed - agree with Stonepecker re missing your words of wisdom. Also agree that listening to the tool on the workpiece can be quite helpful. Thanks for another good video.

Ed, I think it was a great video. The only suggestion I have is maybe a minute or so showing your gouge up close, your tool rest location in relation to the blank ( this makes a world of difference), as well as a camera shot at an angle showing exactly at what point the skew is meeting the blank. Otherwise, the video sounded good to me!

TonyL

Another Oscar winner. Hey, BTW, I am very pleased with the diamond Sierra pens that I bought from you. I was very reluctant given their country of origin - nut they were on sale, so what the hey. What you said about them was right. I have made close to 10 , all without a glitch. I took some pics, but my pics stink. I was never a sierra-guy until I found these. I am glad that I took advantage of the sale. thx.

jennera

Ed, we have been watching your videos all week and passing on all the great info to Rebecca. After having a blow out on one of her favorite prize blanks she finally decided to glue up some of the grab bags acrylic pieces from Woodcraft and practice. We will see how she does turning those pieces today.

We are trying to convince her to apply the CA to her burl and spalted blanks like you showed. I am hoping with her brother and Dad working with the blanks Edgar sent, they can all learn together. :) I hope to try some myself eventually.

Thank you for sharing!

Jennifer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Gregf

I've watched this and your other videos multiple times.
I think videos are especially helpful for turning acrylics.
Both the sound and the visual of what the shavings should look like.

I think the mix of talking and sound is good on all the videos.
I tend to loose patience with some other's videos that just ramble on to no purpose.

Also I have been studying your skew chisel grind.
I looks to be an almost 90 degree across the front.

A video on regrinding or sharpening?

Ed Brown signature skew chisels?

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
UNLIKELY you will see my name on tools!! I believe a good turner can make pens with any tool, just a few passes to "feel" the tool and the cut.

I do LIKE a rather unique skew, with a semi-circular profile. I now realize that this design allows me to cut in both directions just by rotating my back hand a few degrees.

Most important thing I have discovered is the width of the cut ribbons. The more challenging the blank, the thinner I want to see the ribbons. Less likely to "blow up" when you are removing VERY small increments. On the other hand, a simple alumilite blank can safely yield eighth inch width and turn to pen size VERY quickly.

Gregf

I do LIKE a rather unique skew, with a semi-circular profile. I now realize that this design allows me to cut in both directions just by rotating my back hand a few degrees. .

A little sand paper and a Sharpie, instant signature line. :wink:

Top Bottom