Feedback on GluBoost

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
We have sold a fair amount of GluBoost!!

I have received several emails, one of which came today and prompted me to post this thread. It reads:

"Just wanted to say that GluBoost is great. It is now my go to finish."

The writer does not say what he was using in the past.

So, we are interested in YOUR feedback. If you want to say what you were using, feel free--even if it is another one of the products we sell. I am genuinely interested in what you think of GluBoost products!

Thanks,
Ed

BTW, if you are not currently receiving our weekly newsletter (sales specials and other news), consider "signing up" here

It is, of course, FREE!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

Actually Ed I have a question. I do a "normal" CA finish, and start with thin and then go to medium. Is there a reason to do medium then thin? Or just preference?

brownsfn2

Here is my feedback...

I recently completed 2-3 wood pens over the weekend with the GluBoost products. I have to say I love it. I typically used E-Z bond thin for finishing. I would apply 20 coats of thin to build up a nice shine and deep looking finish. It would take me about 30-60 minutes to do it because I would allow some drying time between coats and since I am applying so many coats there was more sanding and polishing needed at times.

GluBoost is extremely easy. I applied 2 coats of the thicker stuff with the lathe off and then applied 3 coats of thin with the lathe running. It takes like 10 minutes with the accelerator used between coats. Honestly I thought it leveled out pretty well in the coats. So much so that I start with Micromesh on the sanding to get a smooth finish. I just sanded with the top 4 grits of micromesh and then buffed. It really took much less time than my old method. I also used a lot less glue than usually to do a finish.

I liked it so much I sanded down a couple of wood pens I finished earlier (was not happy with) and redid the finish with GluBoost. It was just too easy not to redo those pens. Much nicer finish.

I am not sure what other details are needed. I think that you just need to try it to see what it is like. With a lot of things in pen making there are a lot of ways to accomplish a great pen but it has to be the right way for you.

Here is a pic of what I made. I don't really get a lot of "shine lines" or glare on my pens when I photograph them. My light box filters direct light very well. Believe me when I say that the shine is excellent on this one.

GluBoost Pen.jpg

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Actually Ed I have a question. I do a "normal" CA finish, and start with thin and then go to medium. Is there a reason to do medium then thin? Or just preference?

The technical advisor at GluBoost says use the blue label on "oily" woods.

They also say the orange (thin) will yield a higher shine (so use it last).

TonyL

Do you recommend their accelerator or will the others that you sell work?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Do you recommend their accelerator or will the others that you sell work?

Again, I yield to the superior knowledge of the technical dept at GluBoost who strongly recommends spraying their accelerator after each successive coat.

Because CA "finishes" have, in the past, broken down months after the pen is completed, I am more inclined to listen to an expert. Yes, accelerator adds a little to the cost, but if I adhere to the manufacturer's suggestions, I hope the finish will never break!!! THAT is worth a LOT, to me!! Far more than the fifty cents or so it will cost, per pen. (All required products included-my best estimate)

brownsfn2

I should have also mentioned how much I liked the aerosol accelerator. It was easier t spray in my opinion than the pump spray I used to use. I am not sure how much I have left but after 3 pens is still feels like it is as much as the day I got it. It does not take much. Also there was much much less smell with GluBoost and this accelerator. No burning of the nose either. Like I said I like this stuff. :)

TonyL

Again, I yield to the superior knowledge of the technical dept at GluBoost who strongly recommends spraying their accelerator after each successive coat.

Because CA "finishes" have, in the past, broken down months after the pen is completed, I am more inclined to listen to an expert. Yes, accelerator adds a little to the cost, but if I adhere to the manufacturer's suggestions, I hope the finish will never break!!! THAT is worth a LOT, to me!! Far more than the fifty cents or so it will cost, per pen. (All required products included-my best estimate)

Thank you.

Top Bottom