Exotics' Email this weekend & new vid link

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Exotics has been pretty "quiet" lately!! Why? Because we have "products in progress". A quick example: I ordered several tons of acrylics between Christmas and New Year---they will be shipping from Taiwan next Tuesday. SIX MONTHS lead time!!

Meanwhile, we have added some products from PSI and Berea. And some things we are not yet willing to make public--they are not yet delivered.

BUT, we expect a continuous flow of "new" things, so our emails will start to flow. I am expecting one each two weeks for a while. Usually, there is at least ONE special pricing offer. So, if you are not "on the email list" for Exotics, now is the time!!

IF you would like to sign up, see this thread

It will be a very ACTIVE Summer at Exotics---by Fall we hope to be the favorite source for all pen makers!! Deep enough stock to handle your order for hundreds, enough selection to allow you to make truly unique pens. ONE source for ALL the manufacturers, with ALL your components combined to achieve maximum discounts!

:eek::eek::eek: Wanna save money?? Find everything at ONE place??--You will only need to look in one place--ExoticBlanks.com. Keep watching!!:eek::eek::eek:
:bananen_smilies104:

We hope to help everyone do what we did--IF you WANT to.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

nice looking pen when completed.
I miss the voice over and can't believe that is the music you listen to when turning. (For some reason, I picture you playing some early Rock&Roll from the 60's or 70's)

To me it looked like you changed skews for the last pass. It this true?

Otherwise, I like the vid.

Dan Masshardt

Haha. I'm thinking he added the music afterward. It is like elevator music or something.

Next time we want to hear Dawn's voice for the explanation.

Seriously though, thanks for continuing to take the time to do these videos.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Why did I do this?

First reason, it is easier---no need to think of something to say while the blank spins and the tool makes it smaller.

Second reason, which I convinced myself was worth trying: People have asked to hear the sounds of turning. So, I hoped this would accomplish that.

An interesting observation for me is the fact that everyone who has commented NOTICED that I changed tools at the end. Leads me to believe you pay very close attention when there is no voice.

So, no I will not be doing "silents". But I may incorporate a minute or so into normal vids.

Finally, no that is NOT music I listen to while turning---I actually don't listen to anything except the sounds of the tool. Boring, but it limits the mistakes!!

Thanks to those who commented---I am open to further suggestions!!
Ed

JimB

I liked the video as the quality was very good and easy to see how you turn the material. Since you showed the sanding I would have liked to see the buffing as well.

What was the reason for changing skews? Is it just easier for final passes with the smaller one?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
When attempting to turn to the size of the bushing, I find a smaller tool (half inch wide) to be easier than the 3/4". Also, it is sharp, the one I have been using has dulled some.

On that note, I am NOT a good "sharpener"!! Tools don't really have to be razor sharp, in fact on acrylics I believe razor sharp is more likely to "chip out" the material. But, as you can see, the sharper, smaller skew leaves the blank much cleaner, eliminating the need for SOME of the sanding.

magpens

Email received ..... thank you !!!

In the video, got the music now ... and the sounds of turning.

Ed, what is the skew angle of your 3/4" skew that you use during the first portion ? As I said in PM, your skew's edge seems almost 90* to the axis of the handle. If you have a protractor, or some other means of measuring angle, do you mind measuring the skew angle for me, please.

Alternatively, you could post a "flat-on" picture of your skew, please.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mal,

The one I used first is "stock", brand new from PSI--Benjamin's best.

Every skew I own is different from the next. I have never believed the angle means much. Although when you have a point, like that one does, you CAN get really aggressive and tear off material---this is how I did the "two pass cigars" in my early demonstrations. (I don't do them any more, because I now realize the plastic chards fly everywhere and I am risking injuring eyes in the first and second rows).

ANY angle will work, just find a spot that turns comfortably and take off material. When you see ribbons, all is well.

Would you like to see a vid, using 4-5 different skew profiles?

Always looking for new subjects!!

Ed

stonepecker

Mal,

The one I used first is "stock", brand new from PSI--Benjamin's best.

Every skew I own is different from the next. I have never believed the angle means much. Although when you have a point, like that one does, you CAN get really aggressive and tear off material---this is how I did the "two pass cigars" in my early demonstrations. (I don't do them any more, because I now realize the plastic chards fly everywhere and I am risking injuring eyes in the first and second rows).

ANY angle will work, just find a spot that turns comfortably and take off material. When you see ribbons, all is well.

Would you like to see a vid, using 4-5 different skew profiles?

Always looking for new subjects!!

Ed

YES.........and explain the differences of each one.

Top Bottom