Do you have a "saw-stop" saw? - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Vendor Forums > ExoticBlanks.com -corner of IAP!!
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2016, 08:18 AM   #21 (permalink)
Assistant Moderator
Vendor Liaison

Photos: 0

I care not about marketing techniques, or the like - I think safety is a laudable goal.

Imagine if it were a seat belt that were being proposed...people would say that they've driven for years without needing one; but the one time that you do....

One very big plus now is that there's competition - any time that you bring in another competing product, both will get better and cheaper - and that's a good thing.

"He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed."
maxwell_smart007 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-12-2016, 08:58 AM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 68

Darrin you make my point very well with your own incident. Sorry to hear of this. No matter how much safety design goes into a tool or product any injury is subjected to todays sue happy world. We do not take responsibility for our own actions. It is too easy to find that lawyer standing on the corner just waiting for their next case. This technology used on these saws is another one of those important safety devices but unless used properly it means nothing if you are going to ignore it.

As Andrew said the more companies develop this the price will decline and maybe we get to see something along the same lines on other tools and also maybe it will become more streamlined and affordable. Yes you will get those that say you can not put a $$$ on safety but it also must be used properly.

I remember when they made it mandatory to have shoulder harnesses in cars instead of the standard lap belt and people fought that.

As I mentioned before the story behind SS and their quest to get all saws to have this installed is a long winding road. Spin it anyway you want and debate it all you want, I too am glad to see another player on board and as stated their technology seems even better. Time will tell but do be safe in the work shop. Every tool in there has danger potentials.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Sorry to hear your finger was nipped and hope there is no lasting damage Darrin.

One thing that may not be clear to most is that to lock out the saw for a cut you have to turn a key and hold it for a few moments until the lights flash before the button is pulled to start the saw. It stays bypassed only until you press the button to turn off the saw. To bypass it again you have to go through the ritual each time. Kind of annoying if you are making a series of adjustments between cuts actually.

In almost 6 years of using my SawStop I've only used the bypass feature a few times. I just don't use soggy pressure treated wood very much. :) I do cut an occasional piece of Aluminium though so use the feature for that with the appropriate blade.

It doesn't seem to matter how safety is incorporated into the shop as there will always be those that don't want anything to do with it. Maybe if the rules applied to saws in Europe, electric motor brakes, short shafts so dado blades can't be used and better splitters and guards, SawStop would never have gotten started at all.
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2016, 09:16 AM   #24 (permalink)

Oh by the way here is another player that has been around since 2011. Again the technology or principle is not new just developed in different ways. This one too does not destroy the blade which to me is a huge game changer. That is why sawstop has to try to defend their product. They spent so much money and have to try to recoup this.

Here is a player that can be adapted to many tools.

Whirlwind Tool Patents Pending Saw Safety Technology
Old 09-13-2016, 06:19 AM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Just to let you know Ed the Fools4peppers blanks with the metalflake in them will also set off the brake on a saw stop. I have a saw stop and I have triggered it 3 times. Once on the metal flake blank, once it nicked the aluminum on a taper jig I was using and once on my finger.

The cartridges are not cheap to replace, but they are replaced for free by Sawstop if it is trigger in an actual "save". You send the cartridge back to them and they can determine how it was set off. With a cheap blade it will rip 1-2 of the carbide teeth right off. But with a good blade, (I use Forrest Woodworker II) I can send them back in to Forrest and get them sharpened and repaired for about $35.

Even with the cost of the blade repairs, the two cartridges that I had to replace, I am still way ahead of what the one emergency room visit would have cost had this not worked.

Mike

We are the people our parents warned us about.
Jimmy Buffett from the song by the same name.
Indiana_Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-13-2016, 08:27 AM   #26 (permalink)

Hello Mike

Not to pick on you but can you tell the audience how you nicked your finger and what unsafe act you were doing???

This is why I mentioned other blanks possibly can set that saw off too. We are constantly buying blanks from around the world and these blanks can be man made or nature. We as consumers may have no idea what their contents are.

By the way when one of those saws brakes on a blade weather there is physical damage or not there can be internal damage and that blade can become a projectile. That blade can now be bent or off balanced. If you use a very good quality blade send to have it looked at and or repaired but let them know what caused the concern or damage. Now they should run the entire gamut of tests any way but this covers you in any lawsuit to follow or at least you took the step. Document these things. You never know.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:12 AM   #27 (permalink)

I've set mine off three times too but not involving my body parts.

One was with a tape measure. The blade was winding down and I was getting ready to readjust the miter stop and the tip of the tape measure touched the side of the blade. Another couple revolutions it would have been stopped. :( That was a near new Forrest blade so sent it back to Forrest with the Aluminium part of the brake attached. They checked it and replaced a few teeth and resharpened it. Not something I would trust to the local saw sharpener.

The other two were from forgetting to readjust the miter gauge fence after making some angled cuts. Doh!! Those were full power stops so I didn't try to fix the blades. I did give one to a shop teacher to show his students. The school had just replaced their table saws with the SawStops.

I don't consider the cost of a brake and blade to be all that expensive, when cutting a piece of walnut wrong for a project can be even more. When it saves some of my flesh it'll be priceless.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:11 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
I've set mine off three times too but not involving my body parts.

One was with a tape measure. The blade was winding down and I was getting ready to readjust the miter stop and the tip of the tape measure touched the side of the blade. Another couple revolutions it would have been stopped. :( That was a near new Forrest blade so sent it back to Forrest with the Aluminium part of the brake attached. They checked it and replaced a few teeth and resharpened it. Not something I would trust to the local saw sharpener.

The other two were from forgetting to readjust the miter gauge fence after making some angled cuts. Doh!! Those were full power stops so I didn't try to fix the blades. I did give one to a shop teacher to show his students. The school had just replaced their table saws with the SawStops.

I don't consider the cost of a brake and blade to be all that expensive, when cutting a piece of walnut wrong for a project can be even more. When it saves some of my flesh it'll be priceless.
Say what
Old 09-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #29 (permalink)

A couple hundred dollars every 2 years lost in the costs of wood, sandpaper, finishes, glues, filters for masks, power, heat and so on, is diddly. For many it doesn't even come close to their beer consumption. Priceless for them if they hold up 2 fingers in the pub and the waitress only brings them one beer.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-14-2016, 08:36 AM   #30 (permalink)

Photos: 12

I understand what you mean Pete. Luckily I order my beer with my rigt hand.

I love the idea of the flesh sensing technologie, and if I replace my saw, it will be a model that has it. But for now, I have a very good cabinet hybrid saw that works perfectly, when I don't remove the safeties.

I just can't justify spending that much money to replace my perfectly working saw. Its the same, as I would not go and buy a new saw just to have a riving knife, which is much better and safer, than my standard spliter.
darrin1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads