Count your blessings!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
And help the children count their "procedures"!!

Some time ago, Dawn saw Mark James' comment about "beads of courage". It piqued her curiosity. After learning lots more about it, she suggested we should encourage other turners to help in this program. So, ExoticBlanks will now be offering "Beads of courage" when you place an order.

There is no cost to you, we ask only that you turn a bowl and insert the bead into the bowl or cap.

The purpose of these bowls is to hold the "beads of courage".

Every time a child goes through a procedure (usually a cancer treatment of some kind), the hospital gives them a bead. Many colors have specific designations, and chemo, hair loss, etc all have their own "bead". Well, sadly, many children develop quite a collection. The beads become their "memory aids" when they attempt to relate to others the experiences they have had in their health struggles. But, they need a "treasure chest" to store their bead collection.

THAT is where you and I----wood turners, can participate. The "Beads of courage" program asks that we make a bowl, at least 6" in diameter, with a lid. Incorporate the bead that Exotics will give you (free) and take the bowl to a participating hospital or send it to us or the Beads of Courage people and we will be certain it is put into the hands of a brave young child. That is all there is to it. OUR part is easy---just make a small, lidded bowl.

Unfortunately, some young child will have enough beads to need your bowl to store their collection. While they recount the procedures they have overcome, we hope you will feel you have done something a little more special than just "turning a bowl".

Join us in supporting "Beads of courage"!

Exotic Blanks :: The Cancer Awareness Project :: Beads of Courage Treasure Box Logo Bead

Because Exotics' software is not well designed for "free", it says, name your price---ignore that, the bead IS FREE, and you CAN have more than one, just please use them and we will happily get more!! (We have 100 to start and 100 more ordered==it has taken several weeks for delivery)

To be clear, we have made a donation to get these beads and will GLADLY add one or two to your order as "the best freebee yet"!! We ask that you make the lidded bowls--it's the honor system. Any time you want to make more, just ask and you can have the beads---order or not!!

Thanks for reading, and feel free to comment if you know more about this program or have had personal experiences.

Dawn & Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodcutter199

Count your blessings

Ed: the Bayou Woodturners club in south Louisiana (which Capt Eddie belongs to) just did a Beads of Courage challenge at a meeting.
The turn out was amazing and the work was incredible

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Here's one, right here on IAP:
http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=26747

For a whole lot of ideas, SWAT has done this for several years (I did not know this until I googled to find an image). The link below will take you to their 2010 collection. On the right hand margin, you can choose several other years' collections. A LOT of neat ideas!!!

http://www.swaturners.org/beads-of-courage/2010
Look at 2013---there are MANY that used the bead--perhaps this is a new development??

index.php

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Here is one:

2013 - 2013B

This is an acorn design. Requires nearly NO turning skill, the top and bottom are different woods (easy to find and low cost) and the fit of the cap is not critical, just a simple overlap. Kids could still be encouraged to paint the bowl, to make it "theirs".

Attachments

• phoca_thumb_l_2013-aug---swat-beads-of-courage049.jpg
    phoca_thumb_l_2013-aug---swat-beads-of-courage049.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

JohnU

Wow, those examples are incredible and very inspiring. I've been wanting to take a turn at making a bowl or something. I think this is the perfect opportunity. Thanks for sharing Ed and even more, thanks for lending a helping hand to their needs.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Here's a little challenge:

If you can find a source for these decals (or other kid-related cute), let us know, please!! We will add them to the program in some way or other!

Attachments

• Applicque.jpg
    Applicque.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 178

wyone

Ok, so I have never turned a lidded bowl, but wow.. what a great cause. I need to do this. I need to put a smile on some young persons face who is dealing with things we cannot imagine as adults. I need to find some wood this weekend and see what I can come up with.

Thank you for this suggestion.

I went to the website and there are several local hospitals that are part of this. I have a goal now and will be working on this soon.

Beads of Courage - Arts in Medicine for Children with Serious Illness

wyone

Do you have dimensions of the bead available? I have not ordered anything from you yet, as things are tight this time of year, but thinking I could get it made if I had the dimensions I could have it ready to insert the bead into.

thank you!

PR_Princess

Hi Mitch!! :) The logo beads are about 7/8" in diameter, and 1/4" thick.

But you don't have to buy anything from Exotics to get the beads! (No one does.) Just PM me your address, how many you would like and they will be in the mail and on their way to you!

And Thank YOU for taking up turning a Treasure Box!!!

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Using a caliper, I measure .88 inches (875 is 7/8 so Dawn was pretty close!!)

.29 to .30 in height.

They are not perfectly round, they are a tad flat where the hole is for the string to go through. If you make a round hole, I suspect it will look fine, just want to be accurate.

I got some wood today, hope to make a sample this weekend.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Way to go Folks!

I'll throw out a design modification!!!

Turn a bowl with enough width to have a turned "pen holder" in the bottom as an insert. It can be left as part of the bowl - just leave a 1" diameter by 1-2" high "knob" in the middle. Drill/turn a hole for a pen to fit. You'll have to figure out how to turn a pen!!! :biggrin:

Turn a matching/complimentary pen!

Turn a lid that allows the pen to fit. Either a bowl high enough, or a hollowed out lid (you get the picture...).

Having a beautiful pen makes these bowls appropriate for older kids 10-12+ yrs old.

I'd post a picture, but mine is not done. :) The bowl was rough turned in Dec, then got busy with other projects. I laminated a 1" purple heart layer over a 6" x 6" x 6" Ash blank, will turn a purpleheart pen holder as an insert, turn an Ash Lid, with a purpleheart lid knob for the Bead... And a Purpleheart pen.

Have FUN!!! Believe me, after you have done a few of these, it will become a regular "pay-it-forward" activity that you will look forward to doing.

AND... For those of us that are not good wood turners yet - THE KIDS DON'T CARE! Torn grain, no friction fit "pop" on the lid, exotic woods, CA vs Walnut Oil... IT WON"T MATTER! They are thrilled someone made something special for them that is different than every other kid on the hospital ward.

Nice Touch Exotics!!!

The Penguin

Here's a little challenge:

If you can find a source for these decals (or other kid-related cute), let us know, please!! We will add them to the program in some way or other!
I've seen that box in person. It's not decals - it was pyro'd and painted.

wyone

I want to see your bowl now Mark! I am going to turn one.. two.. maybe three or four and would love to incorporate a pen as well. My heart is warmed by the thought that what I created might help a young one think of something positive for even a brief moment.

Thank you for the suggestions!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Shawn,

I don't doubt that someone has that talent!!!

However, most of us could put on a decal, but would have NO CHANCE of "freehanding" those graphics. I'm looking for any way we can make this easy, for those, like me who have no talent and will struggle to make a round vessel with a cap that kinda fits.

As Mark says, I don't think the kids will be too critical of our efforts!! But I also don't want to embarrass myself too much!!

(Did you see the locomotive?? THAT is cool, too!!)

The Penguin

I've been to SWAT the past 3 years and the BOC boxes have really gotten more impressive each year.

I've got ideas for a couple - but haven't begun execution...yet.

I really liked the treasure chest with the octopus on it this year. I also seem to remember a pirate ship, but don't see that in the gallery.

jttheclockman

Does it have to be a turned box??? What would the minimum size have to be. Are there any do's and don'ts?? I have a couple ideas I may want to give a try if I can only get back in my shop. Sounds like a nice project for a good cause.

The Penguin

Does it have to be a turned box??? What would the minimum size have to be. Are there any do's and don'ts?? I have a couple ideas I may want to give a try if I can only get back in my shop. Sounds like a nice project for a good cause.
it does not have to be a turned box, as I've seen square boxes at SWAT in the past.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The recommended size is 6" diameter, if the vessel is a bowl.

NO, it does NOT have to be turned. Several of the boxes shown are rectangles. Do whatever you can!!!

jttheclockman

Well I put in an order for a few so I will see what I can come up with. Thanks. I did check their web site and have to say some of those kids will need a trunk to hold all the beads they get. My original thoughts went right out the door when I saw that. It also inspired me even more-so. I will have to rethink my plan.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
I had the blessing of having daily proton radiation treatments for 44 days at ProCure Proton Therapy Center in Oklahoma City to cure my prostate cancer. The most heroic thing I saw in those two months were small children and their parents dealing with some horrific cancers. The courage of the children was unbelievable! Those children loved getting those beads of courage. This is a great project that will give happiness and hope to a bunch of kids. Well done Ed and Dawn! And even though I've never turned a bowl I am going to give it a go!

Top Bottom