Circuit board turning (with sounds included)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Ed (Parklandturner)!!

Is this heading down the right path??

I didn't want to chip out this blank, cause my purpose was to show it can be turned uneventfully.

I will get a cheap blank in the next couple days and show (and let you hear) how the blanks sound when things are not going well (maybe I'll use an alternative jade---have not turned it in years, I may screw up pretty badly!!)

The vid stops with a small "chink" out of the blank, I "faced" the ends with sandpaper on the lathe and then turned it down to final size, the "chink" was not deep, it turned off. Unfortunately, I then discovered the camera was turned off, too!!

Something you all may NOT know, you can watch YouTubes on full screen on your computer. Here is a picture of the screen as you normally see it, along with a blow up of the full screen control. Once you have the full screen image, you press escape to return to normal size.

The Circuit board video is here

Attachments

• Full screen1.jpg
    Full screen1.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 200
  • full screen 2.jpg
    full screen 2.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 197

Ed McDonnell

Hi Ed (B) - I think you are on the right track. The part where you had the "NOW" was spot on. When you have your cheap blanks that you can really chip out you should consider stopping the lathe right after the sound so you can show a close up of the difference between the bad chippy cut (that is doomed to failure) and the good smooth cut that was happening before the sound.

At the beginning, where you are going from "D" to round, it would be a lot harder for most turners to hear what is going on with the cut. Focusing on the quality of the shavings at that point would probably be easier for most rather than trying to "hear" things. After things are rounded, hearing is a much better guide. It's really obvious when a cut starts to go bad. (Of course this only applies if the cut was going good at some point so you can hear when (if) it goes bad:biggrin:).

Ed

Top Bottom