Cigar pen bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dr_N

I know this is probably a noob question, but with the cigar pens at exotic blanks being on sale this week, I was wondering if the bushings I have from PSI would be the same for the cigar pens from exotic blanks.

Thanks,

Dustin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I have made quite a number of Cigar pens.

I would say that your present bushings will work.

Usually vendors do not market a kit under the same name like this if that were not the case. There could be exceptions to this, but I know that Ed Brown of Exotic Blanks has many, many years experience in making pens in addition to now selling pen kits of all flavors for about 10 years+ ... he is very trustworthy and would not let such a thing as bushing compatibility fall through the cracks.

You could even put your concern/condition about bushing compatibility in the notes on your order and I have no doubt whatsoever that ExoticBlanks would honor that and even cancel the order before filling it if there was any lack of compatibility.

You could measure your bushings and put the dimensions in your order.

BTW, these specs guarantee compatibilty IF you bought your bushings for a true Cigar kit.

• Mandrel Shaft A or B
  • Bushing 11A or 19B
  • Drill Bit 10mm or 25/64"
These specs match the Berea Cigar specs which you can find in the Tubes & Bushings tables referenced on the home page of our website and which are filed in our Library.

http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/berea_bush_tube.pdf

Last edited:

MRDucks2

Haven't made a ton of pens but have made/purchased kits of obviously different quality/types of manufacture from different sources and ended up with 3 sets of bushings. All measure close enough to the same to use interchangeably so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

TonyL

Exotic Cigars

Just as the folks above referred to: The CSUA, PSI, and LazerLinez Bushing are close enough. I turn all barrels slightly proud of the bushings and then add a radius. Also some of the Cigar components are slightly rounded which makes them more forgiving.

Never a bad idea to use calipers to obtain more accurate measurements; that is what I did.

Separately, I bought a bunch of those kits in various finishes the last time they were on sale and was very pleased. I was going to buy another 12, but want to use up more of the dozens of kits that I have.

Here are several that I made from that lot of kits. Happy turning!

Attachments

• Cigar Black Acrylic.jpg
    Cigar Black Acrylic.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 212
  • Cigar Black Dymondwood.jpg
    Cigar Black Dymondwood.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:

Dr_N

Thanks for the responses, I thought the dimensions in the bushings charts made it appear as though any of the bushings would be close enough to get me to final caliper check for actual fit. Just wanted to make sure that it had worked that way in reality for those of you who had experience. Sometimes things look good on paper but not in practice.

Thanks again for the feedback.

TonyL

Some bushings were slightly large and some were slightly under in the case of the bushings that I had (Laserlinez). A few thousands of on inch.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The cigar pen originated with Woodcrafters of Oklahoma (WCO in some product numbers). The owner died and the company no longer exists. So, yes our cigar is another exact copy, so bushings will be interchangeable.

TonyL

Ed...now you got me wanting to buy more. I was really impressed with the satin/chrome combo.

cseymour

Hello Tony,
Just out of curiosity -- did you use the Satin nib or the Chrome nib for the pics you had posted?
They are great looking pens.

Thank you

Chris

Top Bottom