Cardboard pen boxes--your opinion wanted

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Would you like to have a "logo" on these?

I am thinking of "Custom crafted" in a circular design, with something in the middle (hand holding turning tool??)

We are looking at a sizable shipment of black cardboard boxes and they offer gold foil stamping of a "logo". It DOES break up the black and looks classy, I think (we can order some with and some without).

All feedback would be helpful and especially helpful if you visualize a BETTER "logo" design.

Please contribute YOUR ideas on this thread---I have about a week to decide what to do so we have them for fall shows.

THANKS!!!

Ed

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Plain or the custom crafted type thing would be okay. Not sure about the circular. I'd have to see it.

The hand and tool would prob prevent me from buying it unless I really liked it. I would prefer a pen - maybe a fountain pen or nib or something.

Would these be similar to the ones you have now? I like them.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
A pen is fine, too!

Fountain?? Rollerball??

These are the boxes I used for "economical" pens---are you "OK with" a higher-end fountain pen on the box??

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Ed,

The only logo I would want on a pen box is my own. Right now I use your standard black pen box with a gold foil label on it. Looks nice and is inexpensive.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I don't see Stan's concept as competition for this box.

Yes, he makes a box that is customized for YOU! But the cost is triple what I hope to be offering----WORTH the money, but only for those who are getting well paid for their pens.

kovalcik

I would probably pass on the logo box and stay with plain black. If I am pulling a box out, the sale has already been made and I do not see a generic logo adding value.

wood-of-1kind

I don't see Stan's concept as competition for this box.

Yes, he makes a box that is customized for YOU! But the cost is triple what I hope to be offering----WORTH the money, but only for those who are getting well paid for their pens.

Yup, worth it to me even at a higher cost. Just expressing an opinion for preference for "custom logo" on boxes.:)

Dan Masshardt

I've gotten the custom boxes from Stan and will again. I use them for mid-range pens.

Less expensive pens I put in a velvet pouch but if I can get them for $1 with the insert I think I'll consider going to boxes as default instead of pouches.

One minor quibble with the inserts I've been getting in these type of cases is that the elastic is darn tight on even a jr or baron sized pen. It goes in but not quickly.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I've gotten the custom boxes from Stan and will again. I use them for mid-range pens.

Less expensive pens I put in a velvet pouch but if I can get them for $1 with the insert I think I'll consider going to boxes as default instead of pouches.

One minor quibble with the inserts I've been getting in these type of cases is that the elastic is darn tight on even a jr or baron sized pen. It goes in but not quickly.

One of the reasons people buy pens is to give them as gifts. With a box, wrapping is EASY!! Ever try to wrap a pouch?

greggas

I tend to think that anything, other than my name or company name , would tend to makes the box look like it was holding a mass produced item.

I would prefer to keep the box plain and black. I have had these boxes laser engraved in the past with my logo or the logo of clients and they look pretty good ( great for the price)

Quality Pen

I'm going to agree with those who don't like the idea of someone else's "branding" on their box.

A good point that someone brought up is that it makes it look mass-produced, which is very much the opposite direction we're trying to go.

If anything, I would like to see a better quality or unique box and no branding.

That's just me, but I wouldn't buy a branded box that I knew or even thought other vendors were using.

Quality Pen

How about with a saying like "Finely Handcrafted Just for You"

This is just me, but my opinion is is that it's cheap. Again that's just my personal opinion, I am sure someone out there think it's a "nice touch".

But to me, I associate that with mass produced, likely made in China, and, well, generic. However, we sell handmade, unique goods made in our hometowns.

I should point out though that that is just my opinion. If I were Ed in charge of a store, I'd probably just offer both because, well, it's probably easy to order some with logos and some blanks. And someone out there would want the logo'd box. Nothing wrong with that.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I like the idea of a box with insert included (I think Monty sold them that way - that's the last batch I bought, a while back) - but I don't think that I, personally, would want a generic logo on it....

That being said, I bet a poll would be 50-50

Fireengines

I've purchased some black cardboard boxes with inserts for about $1.30 ea. I then created my own custom logo, had them printed using Zazzle.com, and placed the sticker on the box. I then wrap the box in cotton twine.

The sticker cost about 25 cents.

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 146

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
How about with a saying like "Finely Handcrafted Just for You"

This is just me, but my opinion is is that it's cheap. Again that's just my personal opinion, I am sure someone out there think it's a "nice touch".

But to me, I associate that with mass produced, likely made in China, and, well, generic. However, we sell handmade, unique goods made in our hometowns.

I should point out though that that is just my opinion. If I were Ed in charge of a store, I'd probably just offer both because, well, it's probably easy to order some with logos and some blanks. And someone out there would want the logo'd box. Nothing wrong with that.

And that is probably what we will do!!

HOWEVER!!! What ratio would you use? If we are ordering 10,000 units, do we print half? One quarter? If we run out of either the printed or unprinted, and have many of the other still in stock, reordering is inefficient. So that's why the question and the interest in "what logo would you like"?

Probably end up VERY generic---a pen is highly possible. Then, if you WANT to put your "sticker" over it, you could do that.

That's why I appreciate the feedback BEFORE I make the wrong choices!!

THANKS!!

SteveG

(ed4copies) Quote: "That's why I appreciate the feedback BEFORE I make the wrong choices!!"

Ed, we are always ready to help you make the wrong choices...:rolleyes: Thanks for giving us the opportunity to respond before you bring in tons of stuff that only three of us want to get.:eek::eek:

Now for my pertinent thoughts: (Serious face now on) A generic logo is probably worth no more than a plain black box in the retail pen market place. However, if you bring 'em in, you have 'em, even if they do not move well. The buyer of the plain black will probably not switch to the generic logo without a big price cut (Hard to do on an already low cost item). Maybe the best approach is to go low on the percentage that are logo top, and see how the sales go. That would be a very accurate poll.:wink:
(Serious face now off...whew that was hard work!)

Signguy

I would also want the blank ones as I think an "illustration" would be kind of low end looking. However it was some sort of foiled pattern that made them look more elegent and still allowed for the use of a custom label, I'd be good with that.

SAWDUST 101

Passed Away Jan 7, 2018
In Memoriam
I don't know about anybody else but I offer a box or a pouch with every sale weather they are $35.00 or $85.00 pens and I can't remember the last box I have put a pen in. Both are free.

Don

TonyL

Not answer to your questions, but I would love to see anything less than 60 cents each with an insert or fiber padding. I don't want a logo.

SAWDUST 101

Passed Away Jan 7, 2018
In Memoriam
I guess to answer the question, I would prefer a blank box rather than a logo on the box.

Don

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Not answer to your questions, but I would love to see anything less than 60 cents each with an insert or fiber padding. I don't want a logo.

If you want to own them in China, that MIGHT happen. But most people want them in the USA---SHIPPING and CLEARING CUSTOMS. Of course, if you want to order 50,000...........

Top Bottom