Black Chrome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I was watching a car show on TV and they had some wheels re done with black Crome and were beautiful. Do any of the pen kit manufacturers use this plating, my thoughts is it might be an alternate to black ti and maybe save some money.
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I was watching a car show on TV and they had some wheels re done with black Crome and were beautiful. Do any of the pen kit manufacturers use this plating, my thoughts is it might be an alternate to black ti and maybe save some money. Mike

There are a few kits around that are called black chrome. It is supposedly one of the least durable finishes. Don't have much personal experience with it though.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Since you asked this in exotics, I'm going to give an exotics answer.... They have kits listed by metal type on their site - including black chrome: Exotic Blanks :: Pen Kits :: Pen Kits (By Plating) :: Black Chrome

Sorry Dean, meant to quote and inadvertently edited----Ed

YEAH!!! What he said!!!

I don't have any experience with this plating, yet. So, I am interested in any comments you all might have. I expect the quality will be somewhat dependent on who produces it, so ----feedback, anyone????????

arioux

Black chrome is a great finish. And yes it's a good alternative to BlackTI. I did both and never saw the difference in finish durability. One word of advice, make sure it's black chrome and not gun metal wich is far less durable in my experience.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I was watching a car show on TV and they had some wheels re done with black Crome and were beautiful. Do any of the pen kit manufacturers use this plating, my thoughts is it might be an alternate to black ti and maybe save some money. Mike

There are a few kits around that are called black chrome. It is supposedly one of the least durable finishes. Don't have much personal experience with it though.
That is not quite true....it is more durable than most.
EDIT: Sorry Ed I didn't notice this was in a vendor forum. You can have it deleted if you like and it won't hurt my feelings.

Last edited:

Bigj51

I ha used the black chrome cigar pen kits from CSUSA and while it makes a pretty pen it starts to wear incredibly fast. It is far far less durable than regular chrome or even satin chrome. I just referenced one of my CSUSA catalogs and they rate black chrome as 2 stars out of 5 on their wear resistance rating.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Smitty, Dawn and I talked about that rule and specifically how it would apply to you.

We have receipts to prove you are an Exotics' customer---you are welcome to input as such, any time you wish.

If Jeff sees it differently, it IS his house and he can certainly over-rule me!!

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Smitty, Dawn and I talked about that rule and specifically how it would apply to you. We have receipts to prove you are an Exotics' customer---you are welcome to input as such, any time you wish. If Jeff sees it differently, it IS his house and he can certainly over-rule me!!
I am going to amend that rule somehow. It's fine with me if vendors post in each other's forums. I was just trying to head off the skirmishes we've seen when multiple vendors post in a thread. We seem to be calmer in that regard lately so maybe there is no need to legislate good behavior!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Smitty, Dawn and I talked about that rule and specifically how it would apply to you. We have receipts to prove you are an Exotics' customer---you are welcome to input as such, any time you wish. If Jeff sees it differently, it IS his house and he can certainly over-rule me!!
I am going to amend that rule somehow. It's fine with me if vendors post in each other's forums. I was just trying to head off the skirmishes we've seen when multiple vendors post in a thread. We seem to be calmer in that regard lately so maybe there is no need to legislate good behavior!
Jeff, I just overlooked the fact that the question was asked in Ed's forum I am a customer of and have also sold to Ed and Dawn so their comments would also be welcome in my forum.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I like the look of black chrome.
It is a good looking and durable finish. It ranks slightly below chrome in durability but not much other than the titaniums and rhodium chrome and black chrome are the most durable.
Also, it is the best truely black plating that is generally available Black Titanium is not black.
It also a very reasonably priced finish. Along with chrome I think it is about as good a value for dollar as there is.

Top Bottom