Applying Craft Coat finish to a cherry burl pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhsR9XpES-8&feature=youtu.be

Any of you who have used this product, please let me know if you see an easier way or if I missed any salient points!!

Thanks for watching and any comments you feel motivated to contribute!!

Again, this is available at Exotic Blanks---and STILL a little less than Manufacturers Suggested Retail Pricing. We are stocking the 2 ounce, six ounce and pint size.

Ed & Dawn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Ed,
You said that you sanded with 600 grit but it looks like you put on one more coat afterwards.........then went to the buffing station. Is this right?
How is the finish holding up to wear? I know that question is silly when you just made the pen so let me ask........How does it feel?

Great to see a new vid..................Thanks Ed,

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks for the comment, Wayne!!

I did ten coats, then let the blank sit for 24 hours. When I looked at it, the surface was not real smooth, the liquid had turned into little peaks. So, I took 600 grit and sanded them off.

Someone asked on YouTube if I just sanded off all the Craft Coat. I certainly don't think so, since there were 10 coats applied. I made the surface smooth, so it felt good to hold the pen. THEN buffed very briefly with Tripoli and a minute or two with white diamond. This eliminated the scratches caused by the 600 grit and gave me a nice shine.

I describe it as "matte" which is probably not accurate. It is shiny, but there is no depth and the shine is NOT like a CA shine.

Let me be clear---I do NOT condone using CA. Just had a call from a good customer last week. He has a large number of laser kits that were CA finished---he is getting the "window crackling" effect and will be refinishing a large number of CA finished pens. Again we see that a plastic (CA) was never meant to "move" with the underlying wood.

So, let's compare wood finish to wood finish---none that I know of are designed to shine like CA.

FWIW,
Ed

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
My BEST answer, when I want a high shine, I sell plastic.

Wood can be made to shine by using spray on lacquer and then buffing.

Ben (local guy) has made Woodturners Finish look very much like CA, but his method requires far more time and patience than I would be willing to dedicate to the project.

I know there is a large contingent who says they have NEVER had problems with CA finish. I sincerely hope they are "knocking on (some bare) wood"!!

It amazes me how we (penturners) jump on any plating flaw (which may occur in fewer than .1% of pen kits), but we address flaws in CA by trying to change the method of application. I see this as a "logic flaw".

Top Bottom