Woodcraft Group Buy - CLOSED

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE - 3/1/08 @ 8:05 a.m. EST

As best as I can tell, only our two Canadian friends have yet to receive their packages. Therefore, I am marking this group buy "Closed" and directing my attention toward the next one.

UPDATE - 2/20/08 @ 8:35 p.m. EST

The following orders shipped today:

badvlad1
Brewmeister35
Dan_F
elody21
Geo in Winnipeg
Gruntster
Hosspen
Jarheaded
JC_UAH
JimBobTucson
ldb2000
Monty
rlharding
Varinokid

There's only one order left to ship, and that's RichAldrich's. I can't send it because I don't have his shipping address. I've sent a couple of emails to Rich, but no response as of yet. Other than that, I'm just waiting on a couple of folks to get back to me on final shipping charges, and then we can close the books on another group buy.

I'm negotiating with the wife to let me run another Woodcraft group buy next month. I can't guarantee she and I will reach a common ground that will permit this to happen but, if it does, be prepared with your shopping lists because

<center>IT WILL BE FAST and IT WILL BE FURIOUS.

You've been warned</u>.</center>

UPDATE - 2/19/08 @ 5:57 p.m. EST

The following IAP members should expect to see their packages within the next one to three days:

BruceK
dachemist
darrenjttu
Draken
drmcroberts
Edman2
follow3
GoodTurns
hazard
Husky
jamiller99
JeffinWIS
jimmyers
negid
NMDoug
Rags
randbcrafts
RHossack
turff49
twoofakind
wudwrkr
yooperbird

That means the final 15 packages will be shipped tomorrow. All that's left to do is print mailing labels, tape them to the packages and take the packages to the post office.

I'm waiting on a handful of you to send me a few dollars to cover shipping charges. Please check your email for details.

UPDATE - 2/18/08 @ 5:27 p.m. EST

Great news. I picked up all of the backordered items from Woodcraft, this afternoon. If all goes well, I expect to have at least half the outstanding orders in tomorrow's mail with the balance out in Wednesday's.

Pay attention to your email inbox if we have not finalized shipping charges as I will be sending you an email once I have your final shipping total calculated. I'd like to resolve that before I put your package in the mail, if possible.

UPDATE - 2/08/08 @ 8:01 p.m. EST

I'll be tending to family business tomorrow (Saturday) and not paying attention to the IAP boards. I will be monitoring email from time to time, however, so please send a PM to hancock1@comcast.net with "Woodcraft Group Buy" in the subject line if you need to get in touch with me for any reason.

UPDATE - 2/07/08 @ 11:13 a.m. EST

Yet another couple of partials are on their way to new owners:

follow3
Hosspen

Y'all are gonna be busy. :) Those were some heavy boxes.

UPDATE - 2/06/08 @ 5:30 p.m. EST

Two more partial shipments left the Commonwealth of Virginia, today:

rlharding
Varinokid

There's some good news on the delivery end of things. BruceK (no relation to SpecialK) reports all the way from Washington state that he received his shipment. Since there's nothing left to do until the backorders arrive, I think I'll go take a nap.

UPDATE - 2/05/08 @ 5:48 p.m. EST

The following orders shipped today:

Brewmeister35
darrenjttu
gwd (complete)
jamiller99
Jarheaded
jedgerton (complete)
JimBobTucson
ldb2000
pentex (complete)
Proud_Poppa_of_2 (complete)
sptfr43 (complete)
Timbo (complete)
turff49 (shipment #2)

I will try to do some acounting tonight and email those of you with whom I need to settle on shipping charges. I think there may be one of you for whom I estimated shipping based on the $4.60 flate rate envelope but decided to send it first class mail instead on account of it was cheaper, so a refund will be in order.

I don't think I've heard from the following people as to whether they want me to hold their orders until their backordered items arrive or if they prefer for me to ship their items as I receive them. I really don't mind making multiple shipments, so don't think you're inconveniencing me by asking me to do so. The only downside for you is that your total shipping cost will be greater if I make multiple shipments.

badvlad1

UPDATE - 2/04/08 @ 3:43 p.m. EST

The following orders have shipped:

bruce119 (complete)
BruceK
cdcarter (complete)
Codesman (complete)
donald19 (complete)
Dusty (complete)
kgwaugh (complete)
Monty
turff49

I ran out of flat rate envelopes, or I would have gotten a few more out the door today. Fear not, for I picked up an ample supply at the P.O. and I'll have another 10 orders or so shipped tomorrow.

I'm still waiting on about half of you affected by the backorder situation to let me know if you want me to hold your shipment until all items are received or if you want me to ship what I have as I receive it. See the updates below for details.

UPDATE - 2/03/08 @ 11:46 a.m. EST

Woodcraft sent me an email with information on items that are on back order and when they are expected to arrive in the store.

Expected in the store on 2/15/08</u>:
126086 Dart Kit, Electronic Point
142553 #2 MT 1/2" Keyed Chuck
147485 Round Pen Tube Case

Expected in the store on 2/22/08</u>:
123115 Perfume Applicator Kit
147072 European Platinum Pen Kit
147120 Wall Street II 5-pack Replacement Tubes
147161 Premium Cigar Pen/Pencil Bushings
147478 Wall Street II Tropical Island Bushings
148462 Wall Street II "Click" Platinum Pen Kit

I did a quick check of the orders and, of the 47 members who placed orders, only the following 12 members ARE NOT AFFECTED:

bruce119
cdcarter
Codesman
donald19
Dusty
gwd
jedgerton
kgwaugh
pentex
Proud_Poppa_of_2
sptfr43
Timbo

Of course, all of this is subject to my picking up the order and actually checking it. The above is based entirely on information I received from Woodcraft.

Assuming the information in this update is accurate, please check your orders and send an email to me at hancock1@comcast.net stating whether (a) you would like me to hold your shipment until it is complete or (b) you would like me to ship what I have now and ship the remainder when it arrives. If you choose option (b), I will let you know what the additional shipping expense comes to. If you are just waiting on bushings or a single pen kit, for instance, I should be able to send those rather inexpensively (a buck or two or so or maybe more or maybe less but I'll know for sure when the time comes to actually send it).

Bear in mind that, in terms of the expected arrival date for the backordered items, this is only an EXPECTED date. The item could come in earlier or later. I'm giving you the best informatin I have, but I cannot guarantee its accuracy.

UPDATE - 2/02/08 @ 9:25 p.m. EST

I just got THE CALL from Ray at Woodcraft. He has sorted our order and I can pick it up tomorrow after 12:00 noon. He did tell me that some of the items are on backorder. I will find out which items when I get the paperwork tomorrow and post them here so that you can figure out if you are affected. I will pack the orders first that are not affected.

Also, the postman brought my video boxes today, so I have enough packing supplies to get started. Look for the first shipments to be in the mail on Monday. I'll post shipments here as they go out.

UPDATE - 2/02/08 @ 9:01 a.m. EST

I got the call, yesterday. Our merchandise arived at the local Woodcraft store. However, it is mixed in among four pallets of the store's weekly shipment, so it is not ready to be picked up. I was told to expect a call today or tomorrow.

Also, the postman delivered 20 flat rate boxes, yesterday, so I'm in good shape as far as they go. I'm still waiting on my shipment of video mailers and flat rate envelopes, but they should be here any day. If they do not arrive by the time I need them, I'll just drive up to the post office and stand in the long line and ask for them. No inconvenience is too great for y'all. By the way, thanks to Birch Bark Bruce (bruce119) for the tip on the video-mailer-inside-the-flat-rate-envelope trick.

Stay tuned to this post. I'll let you know right here the status of any backorders and when your shipment goes out.

UPDATE - 1/28/08 @ 3:55 p.m. EST

The funds have been audited against the order (successfully, thank goodness), the order has been submitted, receipt of the order has been confirmed with Woodcraft, and now we wait.

In the meantime, and at the request of several members, I have published a revised spreadsheet at the following URL: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p86uKMF7Us55tO1MEpClEYA. This first page of the spreadsheet shows the items that each of our participating members ordered. The second page summarizes the group's order. At the bottom of the second page, you'll see a calculation showing how much we saved off list price, before taking into consideration transaction costs.

Folks, we saved $7,332.64!!! That's enough money to buy almost every IAP member two double cheeseburgers off the McDonalds dollar menu, or a double cheesburger and small french fries, or . . .

On a rueful note, I regret that several members were unable to participate because their orders did not reach me until after the noon deadline. In fact, I have to return a couple of PayPal payments, which I will do as soon as this update posts. So that we could meet Woodcraft's order entry deadline and permit sufficient time on this end to reconcile the funds, strict adherence to the deadline was necessary. I suspect, though, that another group buy opportunity will arise soon, and that any opportunity missed this time around can be rectified with the next opportunity.

In private emails to several of you, I reported that the merchandise should arrive at my local Woodcraft store next Monday. In fact, I learned today that the typical arrival day is Friday. If that holds true, I'll pick it up as soon as Woodcraft is ready for me to and start sorting, repacking and shipping it out.

I appreciate everyone's patience and cooperation. Although the activity level has been high, this has gone pretty smoothly so far. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope the rest of the process fares as well.

UPDATE - 1/28/08 @ 12:01 p.m. EST

TIME. The spreadsheet has been taken down so that I can manipulate it, perform a final accounting and send it to Ray at Woodcraft for submission to Woodcraft HQ. Once I've done that, I'll post an update as to when we can expect the merchandise to arrive and the planned shipping schedule.

UPDATE - 1/28/08 @ 11:50 a.m. EST

10 - 9 - 8 . . .

UPDATE - 1/28/08 @ 11:08 a.m. EST

FINAL HOUR!!! Get your orders and payments in.

UPDATE - 1/28/08 @ 12:35 a.m. EST

LESS THAN 12 HOURS TO GO until all orders must be entered and PayPal payments received.

As I write this, 38 members have placed orders for 1,271 items worth $6,400.67 after discount with IAP member savings equaling $5,618.57. Thanks, Woodcraft!!! And, there are more orders in the works. As a matter of fact, I've received three additional PayPal payments in the period of time it's taken to write the foregoing. Who doesn't love a sale?

I'll be available all morning to help you finalize your orders. And, just because you've paid and your column has been moved to the "Paid Orders" sheet, that doesn't mean you can't still add something to your order. Just ask Bruce, Dan, George, Bob, Jeff and Tim. Heck, it's not noon EST on the 28th yet, is it?

So keep at it. Scour the Woodcraft web site to make sure you haven't left anything out because this opportunity may not pass this way again.

UPDATE - 1/27/08 @ 1:10 p.m. EST

We're closing in on the order deadline. It's less than 24 hours away. At this point, we have 27 paid orders representing 838 items with a discounted value of $4,120. Another 26 orders for 1,031 items worth over $5,000 are in the pipeline, and 15 additional members have expressed their desire to place orders, although they have yet to put numbers to spreadsheet.

What you haven't seen is the flurry of private email activity that has occured between me and most of you as questions are asked and answered. It has given me the chance to get to know you and I am grateful for the opportunity. Really! We have some neat and interesting members in this organization. I've barely moved away from my laptop over the past several days. When not handling email and dealing with spreadsheet issues, I've used my time to look at member web sites and photo galleries to see what kinds of things you're into. As a result, I've learned about you and I've learned more about pen making and turning in general.

Right now, I'm going to take a short break to help a neighbor turn some pens for his mom and dad. Then, I'll be back to answer more questions, estimate shipping for those who are ready pay, and move columns around on the spreadsheet.

UPDATE - 1/26/08 @ 5:45 p.m. EST

Uh, Oh!! Another Google spreadsheet bugaboo has beset us and I have had to remove access for all members so that I can fix the problem. Space limitation is the culprit yet again, as more people have asked to place orders and there have been more requests for items to be added. All of this is fine, of course. What good is a group buy if you can't buy? However, there still are about 17 columns dedicated to members with no entries, and that real estate is sorely needed. Therefore,

IF NO ORDER IS ENTERED IN A MEMBER'S COLUMN BY MIDNIGHT E.S.T. SATURDAY, JANUARY 26, 2008 AND THAT MEMBER HAS NOT OTHERWISE NOTIFIED ME SINCE THE POSTING OF THIS MESSAGE OF HIS INTENTION TO PLACE AN ORDER, THAT MEMBER'S COLUMN WILL BE REMOVED.

Sorry, but we really need the space.

UPDATE - 1/25/08 @ 9:15 p.m. EST

What a day!!! There has been non-stop group buy activity. About seven orders have closed with over $1,000 in payments made. Thanks to those of you who have done so.

This morning's fix to the spreadsheet appears only to have been temporary. New columns have been added to accomodate more members wanting to join the buy, and new rows have been added to allow the purchase of items previously not listed. So we are back to where we were early this morning. Hence, a repeat of the earlier plea, but in larger type to stress the urgency:

IMPORTANT: If you do not intend to place an order, PLEASE LET ME KNOW so that I can remove your column. We need the space.

Remember that the order and payment deadline is noon EST on Monday, January 28.</u>

PayPal payments should be directed to me at hancock1@comcast.net. Send me an email before you pay and I will estimate shipping charges, if possible. I am basing shipping estimates on the use of USPS $4.60 flate rate envelopes or $8.95 flat rate boxes. If your order won't fit into one of those, then we'll have to wait until I can package it and weigh it before we can determine shipping options and costs. In that case, you can PayPal me up front for the order and then later for the shipping charges.

If I overestimate shipping charges, I will refund the difference or you can donate it to IAP, always a popular option, but always your option.

Let me know by email if there is anything I can do to help you personally. Let me know by a post to this thread if there is anything I can do to help you as a mmber of this group generally.

UPDATE - 1/25/08 @ 9:52 a.m. EST

I just reloaded the spreadsheet, so all of you on the Google email list should have received another Google email with a link to the new spreadsheet. Apparently, the spreadsheet had grown to a size Google was unwilling to handle. So, I deleted all items that no one had yet expressed interest in. I will add those items or other items if anybody wants them. Just let me know.

IMPORTANT: If you do not intend to place an order, PLEASE LET ME KNOW so that I can remove your column. We need the space.

I still have to work my way through a lot of email related to this group buy, so please continue to exercise the highest degree of patience with which your Creator graced you. The wife is ill, my boy is cranky due to end-of-semester exams, we ran out of vodka two hours ago and the ABC store won't open until noon. You can appreciate my misery.

UPDATE - 1/23/08 @ 1:15 p.m. EST

I received the discounted prices from Woodcraft this morning - 50% off pen kits, 30% off everything else we submitted except for the acrylic pen blanks which will go for $2.49 each (or 37.6% off).

I posted a new spreadsheet and removed access to the old one. I also had Google send automated emails to all of you (plus a handful of new folks) who had access to the old spreadsheet. Anybody else who wants to place an order should send me an email at hancock1@comcast.net and I will add your name to the access list. Include your email address and IAP user name.

ORDER DEADLINE - Monday, January 28, 2008 at 12:00 noon EST.

PayPal payments must be made at the time of your order. If you plan to pay by a means other than PayPal, I need to have funds in hand (my hand) not later than Friday, February 1, 2008 at 12:00 noon EST.

Stay tuned for further details.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Maybe just my confusion, but does that mean $3K with or without the discount?
In other words, $3K minus 50% discount means you only need $1500 to make the deal..??
Or do you mean you need to have orders totaling $6000 for the 50% discount to make $3K..??

Originally posted by penhead

Maybe just my confusion, but does that mean $3K with or without the discount?
In other words, $3K minus 50% discount means you only need $1500 to make the deal..??
Or do you mean you need to have orders totaling $6000 for the 50% discount to make $3K..??

Fair question. I didn't write that part very plainly. The storeowner and I spoke hypothetically and no commitments were made on either end. I asked him what kind of a discount he would give us if I brought him a $3,000 order for pen kits. He said 50%. I asked about other items Woodcraft carries, and he said the discount depended on the specific item due to the variety of suppliers from which they come, margins, shipping costs, etc.

So, while the 50% discount was predicated on $3,000 worth of pen kits at list price, I don't think that necessarily means we can't still get 50% off the kits if we bring him a sizeable order otherwise. At this point, I'd like to take him a list of everything IAP members are interested in, even if the pen kit portion is less than $3,000 list - and see what he's willing to do for us.

negid

Very interested here. I'm just getting started and need a lot of supplies. Any discounts is a big plus.

Originally posted by Jarheaded

Count me in for a big order.I help the local store a lot and I can't get that kind of dicount.

Thanks for your support of the Woodcraft group buy, Johnnie.

If my boy and I were more organized, we'd probably order more stuff online. The way it is, we realize what we need as we need it, so we end up piling into the car and driving about 10 miles to our local Woodcraft store. (I guess that's our version of "just in time inventory.")

Consequently, we've received a lot of those "thank you for your recent purchase" cards from the owner over the past year. Of course, the dust collection system, air handler, wet grinder, gouge set, numerous pen kits, wood for flat work, you get the picture, has all added up to a certain amount of loyalty on the owner's part. I'm thinking he sees this as a way to show his appreciation, and I expect he'll still make a buck or two, so everybody wins. At least, I hope that's the way it works out.

donald19

I'm looking for Bottle Stoppers and normally buy stuff in multiples of 10 to get better prices. So if this works out I'll be able to change my buying habits and be able to be a little more diverse on products bought. And as a newbe turner I'll be able to gain experience on other projects. That's what I like about this hobby it sort of pays for itself and gift giving to family and friends.

Don

JimBobTucson

Count me in for pen kits, bottle stoppers, and even a grinder or two if the discount will carry over to them. Here is the short list of items I am interested in:

Pens
148461 - Wall Street II "Click" Pen Gold - 10
148462 - Wall Street II "Click" Pen Platinum - 10
148460 - Ultra Cigar Pen gold w/chrome - 5
148459 - Ultra Cigar Pen chrome w/gold - 5
I will probably add more later

Other items (quantities are estimates depending if and how much they will be discounted)

147487 - Kaleidoscope Egg Kit - list $9.99 - qty - 10
147488 - Egg Stand - list $5.50 - qty - 10
823116 - Toothpick Holder Key Ring - list $3.99 - qty 30
146928 - Ceramic Pepper Mill Mech / shaft - list $15.50 - qty 10
836527 - Stainless Steel Travel Mug Turning Kit - list $9.99 - qty 5
822942 - Bottle Stoppers - list $5.99 qty - 10
148457 - Deluxe Pen Blank Center Drilling Vise - list $69.99 - qty 1

Hosspen

Michael Hancock
I'd be interested in the following (hoping your woodcraft store has better luck than the one near me at being able to keep any popular kits in stock) I appreciate what you are doing.
30 148461 WSII Click gold pen kits
30 148462 WSII Click Platinum Pen kits
20 147156 Platinum Premium Cigar pen kits
40 146596 WSII Woodcraft Gold pen kits
Do you know if this would be off the single pen rate or 50% off the multiple price?
Thanks again,

glennw

i am interested in knowing whats going to bought micromesh would be of some interest maybe certain pen kits too.

bruce119

I would jion in too. I would have to check to see what I would want but would probaly spend about spend about $100.00 or so.
Thanks
Bruce

Randy_

Woodcraft is essentially a reseller of Berea kits. From what I read, there selection is a bit limited and their prices a little higher than others. Have you looked into buying directle from Berea or maybe from AS?

Originally posted by Randy_

Woodcraft is essentially a reseller of Berea kits. From what I read, there selection is a bit limited and their prices a little higher than others. Have you looked into buying directle from Berea or maybe from AS?

Randy -

My reasons for approaching Woodcraft were twofold. First, I noticed from looking over previous group buys that they were pen kit oriented. As a newbie, I have a need for and interest in other things such as supplies, tools and non-pen/pencil kits. Second, since I know my local Woodcraft storeowner, it was easy to just ask the man what kind of interest he had in working with us; hence, this thread.

Like the other group buys, this is not the be-all, end-all of group buys. I hope it will be helpful to other newbies like me who use mainly the types of kits Woodcraft sells. I have compared Woodcraft's prices to Berea's and Arizona Silhouette's. Some are higher and some are lower, so it is difficult to make an across-the-board assessment.

Once I get through this buy, assuming the level of interest materializes such that it goes forward, I will be more than happy to take on another buy with a different supplier geared toward a different segment of the IAP membership. I am too new at this to have developed any supplier loyalties, so I'll go wherever the crowd leads me. For this buy, Woodcraft suits my needs and I hope it will suit the needs of enough other members to make it worthwhile.

Jarheaded

I checked my funds and found that I am going to get into trouble. I am used to getting into trouble and will go somewhere between 2-300 or more.
Go for it,we can get this one done and get you some points with the local owner.
Johnnie

jimmyers

I would be willing to go in for 5 or so perfume pen kits and bushings. Maby a few more depending on the price.

SWMBO saw them in a catalog I received and you know what that means.....

5 Perfume Applicator Pen #123115
1 Perfume Pen Bushings #06R04

Originally posted by Hosspen

Do you know if this would be off the single pen rate or 50% off the multiple price?

Mike -

The discount will be off the single pen list price. Sorry it took me so long to answer your question. I have added your items to the spreadsheet, though. :)

wudwrkr

Here is what I would be interested in as long as the discount is in effect:

5 - Wall St. II Click Pen Platinum #148462 List $12.99
2 - Ultra Cigar Pen Gold with Chrome #148460 List $12.99
2 - Ultra Cigar Pen Chrome with Gold #148459 List $12.99
2 - Wall Street II Tropical Abalone #147475 List $19.99
2 - Wall Street II Tropical MOP #147474 List $19.99
2 - Wall Street II Tropical Brn Coconut #147476 List $19.99
2 - Wall Street II Tropical Wht Coconut #147476 List $19.99
1 - Wall Street II Tropical Bushings #147478 List $3.99
1 - Wall Street II Bushings #146597 List $3.99
1 - Premium Cigar Pen/Pencil Bushings #147161 List $3.99
6 - Perfume Applicator Pens #123115 List $3.50
1 - Perfume Pen Bushings #06R04 List $4.99

Depending upon the discount I am also interested in:
2 - Woodcraft Dart Kit #126085 List $14.50
2 - Woodcraft Dart Kit #126086 List $12.50
6 - Pepper Mill Mechanism #146927 List $13.50

I'm looking forward to see if your Woodcraft contact will come through on this.

Originally posted by freedomhouse

I would be interested in 100 (one hundred) Wall Street II #146595 once I know the price.....

Bob -

I added 100 Wall Street II's (standard gold, item #146595) to the spreadsheet under your name. The price will be no greater than $3.50 each. This is not a commitment. I just need to know the total level of interest so the storeowner knows what he's dealing with.

RonRaymond

I'd be in for at least 4 of the kaleidoscopes and stands and some pen kits...probably less than $100 total. Any chance of getting letter opener kits at the 50% discount? I'd be interested in several of the cigar style letter openers.

louisbry

Here is what I would be interested in as long as the discount is in effect:

6 - Wall St. II Click Pen Platinum #148462 List $12.99
3 - Ultra Cigar Pen Gold with Chrome #148460 List $12.99
3 - Ultra Cigar Pen Chrome with Gold #148459 List $12.99
1 - Wall Street II Bushings #146597 List $3.99

Depending upon the discount I am also interested in:
2 - Woodcraft Dart Kit #126085 List $14.50
2 - Pepper Mill Mechanism #146927 List $13.50

Thanks for doing this.

Status