Triple Tap and Die group buy Part Deux

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Mike, it looks like you've already started drinkin with my money. Or i'm really drunk and can't read. I had to read the last line a few times to understand what you were saying:wink:.

All joking aside, thanks again for getting this together. :)[/quote]

Your welcome, I have fat fingers and caint type or speel=) Not to mention that Im cutting a part on the mill and getting the grandkids ready for dinner and then ready for school tomorrow.

@ Duroshark..............No they wont pay us to take them, nice try!:biggrin:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Unfortunatly no, The order was more than twice the anticipated size when I first talked to them. They are quoting 3 weeks for the dies. the taps will bve done sooner but to what end. no sense in paying two shipping fees.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
:biggrin:If you cant figure it out I will buy it back for half price.:biggrin:

Im just that considerate............:cool:

:biggrin:In fact I could just refund you half your money and just hold on to it when it comes in.... saves me a bit of work and postage you know:biggrin:

Last edited:

Lenny

:biggrin:If you cant figure it out I will buy it back for half price.:biggrin:

Im just that considerate............:cool:

:biggrin:In fact I could just refund you half your money and just hold on to it when it comes in.... saves me a bit of work and postage you know:biggrin:

Mike you are TOO kind! :biggrin:
I will keep your offer in mind but .... 6 months ago I didn't think I would ever cast my own blanks either. Now I can't seem to keep enough Silmar41 on hand. :rolleyes::)
btw ... if there was a lower price, just do as the others said and have a well desrved cold one on me!

Kaspar

Sooo, while we're waiting ....

What's the best way to hold this die in the tailstock? I got this from LMS, but I am not impressed with its tolerances. Unless there's an easy way to perfectly center the die that I'm not familiar with, I doubt it will be accurate and I'm going to return it.

Now I came across this baby and it looks like the way to go.

Or am I over-thinking this, and the LMS die holder will be just fine?

Kaspar

That Hemmingway job looks pretty nice. $39US for it is not bad, wonder what shipping would be? Drat, the VAT adds almost $10.

Hey Eric, you want to start a group buy???

Not me. I have enough things to worry about without looking for more. :biggrin:

I think that Hemmingway is how I am going to go, unless someone who knows how this die holding thing works tells me I'm over-thinking this and the LMS is good enough. I don't want to have to shim anything. I want a die holder that's dead on without a lot of fuss.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The Sherline is a 0 morse taper for their tail stocks. IT can be bought from Discountcampus.com #1206 in the search box for $57.00 plus shippiing.

chrisk

The VAT is only due for EU residents. Doesn't apply for US citizens.
As for the shipping cost from the UK it's generally high but maybe you should try to contact the seller for a shipping alternative.

arw01

I wonder if there are 5 or 6 guys that would want to throw in together for the Hemminway and share the shipping cost?

I would be in on that if it includes the morse taper already?

The discount campus link seems like the taper, and the wrench etc, are NOT included in the pricing.

Kaspar

Oh, you were serious? :eek::biggrin:

Okay, I'm not sure how a group buy will help the shipping cost, or if they will give us any kind of discount on the unit itself, but I might be willing to go in with you. Have to look at the budget though. I can give a definite answer in a week or so.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Unfortunatly no. The taps are made and the dies are in the process. The dies are what take so long to make. I did however order a couple extra. I will put you on the list. I have already promised one set.
Mike

DurocShark

Unfortunatly no. The taps are made and the dies are in the process. The dies are what take so long to make. I did however order a couple extra. I will put you on the list. I have already promised one set.
Mike

Wow, foresight? I'm obviously not at work... :eek:

Kaspar

The Sherline is a 0 morse taper for their tail stocks. IT can be bought from Discountcampus.com #1206 in the search box for $57.00 plus shippiing.

I actually don't know much about MTs beyond making sure you have the right one for the tailstock. Does 0 mean there is so slight a taper (or no taper at all) that it can be held in a Jacobs chuck?

In reading more about the Hemmigway, I'm not sure if you get a working unit or just a kit and the materials. I'll send them an email sometime today and find out. And I'll ask them about group buys and shipping.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
A 0mt cannot be held in a chuck it is tapered. YOu could chuck it up in a metal lathe and turn the taper off. The sherline tool does have a taper but no wrenches.

Kaspar

In reading more about the Hemmigway, I'm not sure if you get a working unit or just a kit and the materials. I'll send them an email sometime today and find out. And I'll ask them about group buys and shipping.

It is indeed a DIY kit and not the completed unit. You get plans, notes and sawn bar stock for doing it. So much for that. Guess I'll swim on back to the Sherline.

Anyone know where I can find a MT0 to MT2 adapter?

simomatra

Mike I take it that the diameter of the die is 13/16, is that correct?

Kaspar what is the problem with the Little Machine Shop holder?

What is everyone else using and what about using the tap.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Sam the die is 1 inch- 25.4mm round not hexagon shaped. On the tap I use a chuck in my tailstock to grip the tap, then slightly loosen the tail stock to allow the tailstock to slide back and forth, turning the spindle by hand to form the threads. That may not be possible with all styles of lathes. Skiprat has a couple of videos posted of his method of sunig the taps. MY hexagon die holding tool will take the 1 inch round and it is locked in place with a set screw. Im thinking about the die holder from sherline as well. Of course I have Sherline lathes.

DurocShark

I just got my LMS die holder. The only slop in the thing is in the tommy bar. The body is absolutely solid on the shaft.

My collet set is coming today too.

All I need now is the triple start set!

(Yes, I'm getting impatient... hehehe)

Texatdurango

Sooo, while we're waiting ....

What's the best way to hold this die in the tailstock? I got this from LMS, but I am not impressed with its tolerances. Unless there's an easy way to perfectly center the die that I'm not familiar with, I doubt it will be accurate and I'm going to return it.

Now I came across this baby and it looks like the way to go.

Or am I over-thinking this, and the LMS die holder will be just fine?

I'm a little late with this response but from one who has used the die holder from Little Machine Shop mentioned above on dozens upon dozens of pens, perhaps over 100, I have this to offer.

I never had the slightest problem using this holder and don't understand the concern with the tolerences and to answer your question..... I think you are indeed over-thinking the purchase.

It is a tool to hold a die...... that's it! The part of the holder that actually contacts the lathe is mt-2.......just like everything else that goes into your tailstock (if your tailstock is mt-2).

I would suggest not worrying so much whether the tool would be precise enough or not and just buy one and start using it! IT WILL WORK JUST FINE!

As an add on note...... I only cut threads in ebonite and plastics so never use the tommy bar, just turn the holder by hand! Recently I cut some threads in stainless so used the tommy bar for those!

The preceeding was just an opinion of a satisfied user, not meant to promote any particular vendor! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom