Triple start Tap and Die set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Mark, I have no problem with you taking this and going with it. This is not an official buy yet so all the details with Mannie still need to be cleared.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

me2cyclops

:eek:
:eek:
no I'm not trying to take over I was just checking around to see what kind of prices I could come up with , however I have a friend who has accounts with a few suppliers and if his prices come back ass low as he claims they will then I might have to do something like that.
I should know something by monday

Daniel

An update, I am having some problems with my pay pal account and am looking for an alternative to it. Until then I am putting the group buys I have been doing on hold. for anyone reading this that is in on the pen mill buy I am still finishing that one with no changes. but basically I need to get the traffic of my account stopped long enough to transfer the money to a different account and before that I have to find a different service.
What this means for this buy is that I will not be moving forward with it for an undetermined length of time. sorry for the delay

arw01

What type of pen do you use these taps and dies for?

What type of pen do you use these taps and dies for?

Are you trying to make your own parts out of wood to eliminate kit robbing?

What pen kit are we discussing in the thread that this set of tap and die will work with.

The 12M x .8 etc.

Alan

patharris

Local Chapter Leader
Response to Alan's Question Please

I too, might be interested in a tap & die set if I knew what pens, etc folks were using it for. Also, Would one of the taps work for Bottlestoper acrylic blanks?
Pat
Lexington, SC

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
This is a special set that is the same thread design as the El Grande and Churchill, and while the top or bottom sections can be made to use with those kits, most who have and use these are doing custom pens with no kit components. The difference between these and an ordinary tap and die is the multi-start feature typical of capped pens. One turn on these threads is the equivalent of 3 turns of holding power on a single start thread. Prior to spending a considerable sum on these, if you are interested in branching out into custom designs, I suggest starting with a lower cost single start set of the same diameter. The pen will look the same, only take a few more twists to close. Will let you know if this is something you want to tackle with a lot lower investment.

arw01

You mean the cap that screws onto these pens?

Appreciate the back story there.

From pictures the Churchill looks like it does NOT screw on to the cap.

So are you guys making a pen with your OWN metal pieces with these tap and die sets?

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam

Appreciate the back story there.

From pictures the Churchill looks like it does NOT screw on to the cap.

So are you guys making a pen with your OWN metal pieces with these tap and die sets?
The Churchill is a two piece pen. The cap is removed from the bottom section when you want to write. This tap cuts the internal threads on the cap that is removed and the die cuts the threads on the bottom section that screws into the cap.

workinforwood

What about the inside of the pen section where the nib screws in, what taps that? Do you need another set, or is that a standard metric single start thread found in a typical metric tap and die set?

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
What about the inside of the pen section where the nib screws in, what taps that? Do you need another set, or is that a standard metric single start thread found in a typical metric tap and die set?
The nib for an El Grande or Churchill is very close to a 10 x 1 mm single start. If you chase the threads with a die it works real well.

drferry

This post has morphed somewhat, so maybe I can get this answered by you experts. My favorite kit is the Jr Statesman postable. Where, if anywhere, can I get a 3-4 start set that approximates these threads?

Daniel

http://www.e-taps.com/
this is where the tap and die was finally found that is currently being gotten through group buys. looking for any other size tap and die set would be far easier through them than other sourced because they are now familiar with what we are looking for. You would probably have to send them a pen kit or at least the threaded parts so they could get an exact match. expect the same sort of price list as well.

Daniel

I have no problem with this group buy being revived. I just will not be able to do it myself at this time. Since this one was posted i have started the leather case group buy and am up to by butt in alligators with it right now.
If anyone is interested in taking it PM me for the suppliers contact info etc. After this long you might want to get an up to date quote for the taps and dies.

At the time this thread was active I did notice that several people got tap and die sets simply by buying them from other members. there are at least a couple dozen sets out there among the group and some have moved on to other interests since buying them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom